Craig Mackail-Smith 'expected to join' Leicester City (merged)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Some clubs will be in for a shock when new rules come in limiting the overall wages bill to a maximum 100% of generated revenue. Blackpool had the right idea to have a wages ceiling when they knew they might only survive 1 season in the Premier League. I believe there are about 8 or 9 clubs in the Championship already paying out more in wages than they get back from revenue streams.

southstandg

Dec 17, 2010
Sussex by the sea
Some clubs will be in for a shock when new rules come in limiting the overall wages bill to a maximum 100% of generated revenue. Blackpool had the right idea to have a wages ceiling when they knew they might only survive 1 season in the Premier League. I believe there are about 8 or 9 clubs in the Championship already paying out more in wages than they get back from revenue streams.

Exactly this if I'm honest.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham

only 8 or 9?
probably a lot more than that

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Sky sports reporting West Ham have put in increased offer of £3 million which is the same price they are saying Shaun Wright Phillips may be moving for!!!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
when new rules come in limiting the overall wages bill to a maximum 100% of generated revenue
Have the details of this system been covered, soecifically how to stop owners just paying a huge amount for advertising etc? I assume clubs like ManC will just ignore the rule and work around it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Some people are KIDDING themselves.

We couldn't afford to keep Glenn Murray. How the HELL do you expect us to attract players better than a man who in his last outing in the Championship scored 10 goals in a relegated side, and who has just netted 30+ goals to almost single-handedly win a team promotion from League 1?!

We COULD afford to keep Muzza... we chose not to pay his inflated wage demands... other than that, carry on...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
CMS would have been a great signing, and NOT totally unrealistic IMHO... we are in the Championship now...

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
I don't know what everybody's getting so excited about.

League 1 2008-9: 53 apps & 26 goals.

Championship 2009-10: 47 apps & 11 goals

League 1 2010-11: 55 apps & 34 goals

Conclusion: Good in League 1

Let's move on

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
We COULD afford to keep Muzza... we chose not to pay his inflated wage demands... other than that, carry on...

True that :clap:

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

brightonmark1234

Feb 9, 2010
Worthing
Craig Mackail-Smith 'expected to join' Leicester City

from BBC website I thought I will share it with you all

Peterborough United chairman Darragh MacAnthony is confident striker Craig Mackail-Smith will join Leicester City, possibly before the weekend.

The 27-year-old will meet Foxes boss Sven-Goran Eriksson on Friday after the clubs agreed a fee earlier in the week.

MacAnthony said West Ham are still interested in the forward but told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "I would expect him to sign for Leicester on Friday."

The Posh chief added that Brighton have made two failed bids for the striker.

"Brighton came to the table with a strong offer but it wasn't anywhere near as strong as Leicester," he said.

"West Ham made a very serious enquiry, I believe they're still very interested."

Continue reading the main story
Leicester are a big club and they're having a right go, you'd expect them to be challenging next season
Darren Ferguson
Peterborough boss
But he added: "I presume if Sven gets on with Craig he'll be a Leicester City player on Friday."

Mackail-Smith, Posh's 35-goal top scorer last season, has been at the centre of a protracted transfer saga ever since Norwich City had an offer rejected for him in March.

QPR were understood to have agreed a fee for the former Dagenham man this summer, but the player and Loftus Road club failed to complete a deal.

A move to Leicester, Peterborough's Championship rivals, would be in spite of Mackail-Smith's desire to join a Premier League side.

But Posh boss Darren Ferguson has backed the potential switch, saying: "He spoke to QPR and the rest of it, I actually don't know what went on.

"Listen, Leicester are a big club and they're having a right go, they're spending some serious money and you'd expect them to be challenging next season.

"If Craig feels it's the right move for him we wish him all the best."

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I beat you to it on the other thread Mark :wink:

Again, it shows ambition that we were in for him. Many on here didn't believe we were... The blogger deserves some credit too - But if no offer had been accepted would CMS still be allowed to look round the AMEX?

Chucky20

Jan 25, 2011
Woodingdean
Craig Mackail Smith - BBC Sport News.

Looks like we were serious in CMS as it seemed..

BBC Sport - Craig Mackail-Smith 'expected to join' Leicester City

Peterborough United chairman Darragh MacAnthony is confident striker Craig Mackail-Smith will join Leicester City, possibly before the weekend.

The 27-year-old will meet Foxes boss Sven-Goran Eriksson on Friday after the clubs agreed a fee earlier in the week.

MacAnthony said West Ham are still interested in the forward but told BBC Radio Cambridgeshire: "I would expect him to sign for Leicester on Friday."

The Posh chief added that Brighton have made two failed bids for the striker.

"Brighton came to the table with a strong offer but it wasn't anywhere near as strong as Leicester," he said.

"West Ham made a very serious enquiry, I believe they're still very interested."

Continue reading the main story
Leicester are a big club and they're having a right go, you'd expect them to be challenging next season
Darren Ferguson

Peterborough boss
But he added: "I presume if Sven gets on with Craig he'll be a Leicester City player on Friday."

Mackail-Smith, Posh's 35-goal top scorer last season, has been at the centre of a protracted transfer saga ever since Norwich City had an offer rejected for him in March.

QPR were understood to have agreed a fee for the former Dagenham man this summer, but the player and Loftus Road club failed to complete a deal.

A move to Leicester, Peterborough's Championship rivals, would be in spite of Mackail-Smith's desire to join a Premier League side.

But Posh boss Darren Ferguson has backed the potential switch, saying: "He spoke to QPR and the rest of it, I actually don't know what went on.

"Listen, Leicester are a big club and they're having a right go, they're spending some serious money and you'd expect them to be challenging next season.

"If Craig feels it's the right move for him we wish him all the best."

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
iv just read that, completley shocked me however if true im glad we have had a go.

exciting times i wonder who is next on Gus's list.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
That puts my small team mentality into perspective - we really are entering the realms of fantasy if that is the calibre of player we are making respectable offers for. Wow!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports