Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paralympics - would you watch it?

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This thread is not about (or not intended to be about) whether they are worthwhile and inspirational. They clearly are in my view, and I think most people would back seeing these games staged, and also having significant money diverted to paralympic activities at both grass-roots and elite level.

I've been a volunteer at such an event, and it was a bit an eye-opener and made you feel very small about some of the things you moan about. Well, for at least five minutes anyway, until the next McGhee thread...

But would you actually sit and watch them? Honestly? The BBC seem to be going very large on the paralympics these days, and I'm just not sure that the interest justifies the coverage.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Yes, if it is British Athletes competing in an international tournament then they deserve our support and the appropriate level of media coverage.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I really like the Paralympics - its far more humbling, and there are a distinct lack of egos compared to the "able-bodied" athletes.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
I really like the Paralympics - its far more humbling, and there are a distinct lack of egos compared to the "able-bodied" athletes.

It's To Be Expected. There's Not Much To Be Egotistical About When You're A Spacka Or Retard.

"Ooh. Look At Me Running. What With My Prosthetic Arse And Everything. Aren't I Clever?"

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
I'm not into Athletics enough to follow the paralympics as a whole. Football, rugby and cricket are my main sports and outside of these I'm only really interested if it's the top stuff. For example in tennis I have no interest in the women's game, only the odd cheeky photo. Does the paralympics include football? I'd certainly watch that.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
It's To Be Expected. There's Not Much To Be Egotistical About When You're A Spacka Or Retard.

"Ooh. Look At Me Running. What With My Prosthetic Arse And Everything. Aren't I Clever?"

If there was an award for twat of the day you would just have won it with that post, in fact you would be in with a good chance of the monthly award.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...there are a distinct lack of egos compared to the "able-bodied" athletes.

athletes dont come across to me as being particulalry egotistical. sure a few, like any walk of life, but they seem a hard working bucnh to me :shrug:

anyway, doesnt interest me much as athletics in general doesnt.

and why do people even read Bars Twats comments with his stupid capitalisation? dont know what he said, i ignore his post as they are too much effort.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006

I often find your posts quite amusing but not this time.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
I am a bit of a sports junkie. If a British / English, athlete / team are playing then I will watch. Be it football, running, table tennis, darts, pool, bowels or even tidily winks. So yes I would watch.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I am a bit of a sports junkie. If a British / English, athlete / team are playing then I will watch. Be it football, running, table tennis, darts, pool, bowels or even tidily winks. So yes I would watch.

Personally I draw the line at bowels. Oh, and tidily winks. And is 'pool' a typo? Did you mean 'poo'?

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Ditto. Although I am not quite sure whether it is legal to watch bowels (unless you get permission from the owner) and it certainly isn't a sport.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I would. It's all sport.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I think its great that there are these type of events but as a spectator sport a lot of it doesn`t work for me.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I am not knocking it at all but i would never watch.Just as i would never watch womens football:lol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I think its great that there are these type of events but as a spectator sport a lot of it doesn`t work for me.
I agree. If I'm honest I feel a bit 'uncomfortable' watching the Paralympics purely from a sporting viewpoint. This ISN'T because I'm embarrassed by the sight of people without limbs and think they should be locked away out of sight - far from it. It's more because sport, for me, is all about appreciating people doing things I can't do. I would have loved to have run as fast as a Linford Christie and I would have loved to have stood on the podium having won a Gold Medal for Britain. However if the price for doing it is living my life with only one leg then it's not a dream I want to fulfill.

I accept that the Paralympians are people who are dealing with and conquering disabilities in a way that puts me to shame, I also accept that if they were 'able-bodied' (or whatever term we should use nowadays) some of them would be of 'normal' Olympic standard. However to put it bluntly when watching the Paralympics I can't get past the fact that these are people with disabilites first and athletes second. I realise that is a horrible thing to say, but like Questions says I think it's brilliant that these events take place and that they're televised.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here