Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion v Luton OFFICIAL thread

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Well done to all the fans who attended the Leeds game but who gave the Luton game a miss. Your support was greatly appreciated.

I have to say, What He Said.

I was really quite suprised that after the decent perfomance we put in against Leeds the crowd was so low for this one. What do these floating fans want? It's all very well wanting to turn out for the big teams but by my rudimentry calcutions;

Leeds 8700 minus 850 Leeds fans = 7850 Brighton Fans
Luton 5317 minus say 350 Luton fans = 4967 Brighton Fans

This equates to virtually 3000 Brighton fans coming out just for the Leeds game, that's 60% of the Luton crowd. So, are over half of our fans gloryhunters?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
You are not accounting for the 500-800 Leeds fans in other parts of the ground.

And there were 500 Luton fans on Saturday.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The club have got the names and addresses of those 3000.

Perhaps they can organise a survey. Find out what they would pay for a game, what other factors contribute to attendance or non-attendance.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
You are not accounting for the 500-800 Leeds fans in other parts of the ground.

And there were 500 Luton fans on Saturday.

Whilst I agree there were Leeds fans in other parts of the ground, I think 5-800 is a little high. Perhaps a couple of hundred.
Really, 500 Luton fans? Blimey, looked less but OK, revise my figure to 2500, still represents 50% of the crowd on Sat missing.

The club have got the names and addresses of those 3000.

Perhaps they can organise a survey. Find out what they would pay for a game, what other factors contribute to attendance or non-attendance.

That is a great idea. I know that the club are trying to improve attendances, Ken Brown is determined to improve it. Let's hope he does indeed contact them all and ask them. I will pose the question on ask the club.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

I was really quite suprised that after the decent perfomance we put in against Leeds the crowd was so low for this one. What do these floating fans want? It's all very well wanting to turn out for the big teams but by my rudimentry calcutions;

This equates to virtually 3000 Brighton fans coming out just for the Leeds game, that's 60% of the Luton crowd. So, are over half of our fans gloryhunters?

I made the point on another thread that you must remember we are watching 3rd division football and if you cast your minds back to the days of the Goldstone, when we were in teh 3rd divi, we only got decent crowds when we were playing decent teams. In this division the only teams who i would rate as decent are Leeds and Nottingham Forest, therefore these two games will sell out ( or at least get over the 8k) and the rest will not. If we are up the top of the league come April, it will change as people will come out and see a team heading for the playoffs,.

Saturdays game was a typical third divi game - not much skill, dreadful in the first half and won by two strikers who can score...the rest was shocking and that is why we dont attract people.

its no good having a go at people who dont come......if we get to the 2nd division, then there are many "attractive teams"...this will help

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Fair point Dave, but the equivalent of 50-60% of the crowd stayed at home on Saturday, just seems like a huge fluctuation.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Whilst I agree there were Leeds fans in other parts of the ground, I think 5-800 is a little high. Perhaps a couple of hundred.

200? Not a chance. They were EVERYWHERE. Unless we have suddenly recruited hundreds of fans with Yorkshire accents [and quickly lost them all again].

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
200? Not a chance. They were EVERYWHERE. Unless we have suddenly recruited hundreds of fans with Yorkshire accents [and quickly lost them all again].

I think it was proven on another thread that there are only 3 Yorkshire Albion fans. :lol:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Fair point Dave, but the equivalent of 50-60% of the crowd stayed at home on Saturday, just seems like a huge fluctuation.

In some ways we could look at this in a good light. The latent and slumbering support for the Albion is still there. Just need to get the Albion back up in the Championship and play some of the bigger boys.

Despite Archer, Bellotti, De Vecchi and Baker's attempts we aren't dead and we CAN pull in the big crowds.

Seriously - say we got through to one of the later rounds in the FA Cup or the play off finals - you'd see just how much interest there is in seeing big time footie in Sussex. I agree with DTG on this. I'm not overly concerned as soon as we get Falmer and start playing the bigger clubs in the Championship the crowds will be back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

But they didn't though.

4976 is 62.54% of 7850 [even using your figures].

that would suggest that 37.46% stayed away, not allowing for the hundreds of Leeds fans.

Does superwife do the accounting for your business? :jester:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I'm not overly concerned as soon as we get Falmer and start playing the bigger clubs in the Championship the crowds will be back.

Lets not count our chickens.....a brand spanking new ground does not guarantee better football or a better team.....what really does is a rich benefactor who doesn't matter if he/she gets a return on his/her money.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The crowd for Luton was 5300.

If 2500-3000 of the fans who came to Leeds stayed away from the Luton game, than they make up the equivalent of either 47% or 56% of the crowd, i.e 47% of 5300.

And even if you deduct your opinion of the Leeds fans in the Brighton seats, then the "stay aways" were still 40% of the crowd against Luton. It just seems a lot to me.

Don't forget the 5 Luton supporters in the family stand, including my 10 year old nephew who could not resist giving it large when Luton scored, until dragged back by Uncle Mick. For some reason everyone in row q then cheered even louder when Goodall was carded 2 seconds after he had finally sat down!

O Lads

Dec 16, 2004

Is anybody really that surprised? For 'fans' that hardly ever go to games, Leeds are quite a famous side who people want to see. Were in the premiership a few years ago, were unbeaten at the time, it was a big game. I must confess that I missed Luton but out of the most recent games, decided to go to Leeds, Hartlepool and Wallsall. £25 is a fair bit of money for league one football, lets be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here