Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

RIP Glen Wilson

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Very sad news, not old enough to have seen him player. My Grandfather told me a lot about Geln though and how good a player he was when we discussed his memories of Albion days gone by.

RIP Glen Wilson.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
Beeercan said:
R.I.P Glen Wilson, DESERVES a Mins silence next match!!
Absolutely. That is exactly what football ground silences should be about. Totally appropriate for all fans to honour and remember a man who was so much a part of our club, in so many roles, throughout his life. I'm sure that, as a fan who would have watched Glen play so often, Dick Knight will want to honour him in that way.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Beeercan said:
R.I.P Glen Wilson, DESERVES a Mins silence next match!!

True albion hero and legend. Will Be missed

Here's to Glen wearing the Blue & White Stripes @ the Goldstone in the Sky :drink:
As much as I want to pay my respects for a great man, I for one find minute silences a little bit grating.

As a true mark of respect to a great tough-tackling, forward-thinking midfielder, couldn't we have a minute's two-footing/studs-showing-the-person-in-front-of-you instead? I am sure the great man would have approved.

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Loss of a legend.

Gilliver's Travels said:
Absolutely. That is exactly what football ground silences should be about. Totally appropriate for all fans to honour and remember a man who was so much a part of our club, in so many roles, throughout his life. I'm sure that, as a fan who would have watched Glen play so often, Dick Knight will want to honour him in that way.

Agree 100 per cent :clap: :clap:

I'd be very surprised if the Argus don't do a big piece on him too - a real club hero of yesteryear and loyal for so many decades.

Lord Cornwallis

Dust my pants
Jul 9, 2003
Across the pond
Thanks for the memories Glen.

nobody's dupe

Old Fart
Feb 12, 2004
I'm behind you!
This news has made me very very sad. I thought that dear Billy Boston was going to go on forever.

Many memories of Glen are flooding back. I too remember him playing in Billy Lane's Third Division South team. At The Dell I called something derogartory out to him as he was going down the tunnel at half time. He stopped and gave me a well-deserved verbal lashing. He saw me a few days later at a training session at The Goldstone and he continued the 'conversation'. The next time he saw me was a couple of weeks later at Ashton Gate before a game against Bristol City. He got off of the team coach, came straight up to me and gave me a complimentary ticket for the match.

I also remember a game at Swindon. All through the game he and one Swindon player were giving each other physical stick. Glen was seemingly the only one to be punished with a string of free kicks against him. Towards the end of the game he was booked. Just after the final whistle the Swindon player held a hand out to Glen with a broad grin on his face. Glen stepped forward and delivered a beautiful left hook, and left the guy flat on his back. He then walked down the tunnel leaving a hell of a commotion behind him.

Sammy Morgan will tell you that when Glen was the physio he left him on a treatment table for ten minutes wired up to a heat treatment machine. The only thing was that Glen had forgotten to turn it on, but on his return he asked Sammy if he felt better for it. Sammy wholeheartedly agreed and got down from the table and did a little jig to demonstrate.

Apparently during this time his massages were delivered in a very zealous manner. The players nicknamed him after The Boston Strangler. Hence, Billy Boston.

I used to enjoy talking to him at the various dinners he attended. We used to jog each other's memories about Albion matches. He loved The Albion through and through.

They don't make the likes of Glen Wilson any more unfortunately. RIP Billy and God Bless.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Thanks Glen and RIP

DK must be upset as they were neighbours when he was a young lad and probably inspired his love of the Albion.

Hope the Argus has a special feature

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
In times when "Legend" is applied to anyone who goes ten minutes without being booked,scores a goal once every ten games,or joins in the laddish culture with excesses of all degrees,it's good to remember the true legends of the Albion,and here was one of them.

A very good player over a very long time in days when footballers were honoured by their position in the community;played for peanuts,wouldn't have known what diving was,and would in any case have been down the road if they'd tried it.Respected the laws of the game,and the poor sod who's job it was to apply them.

He gave the club a good name,as did Joe.

RIP Glen Wilson. LEGEND.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
better piece in the Argus today. Did not realise he turned down Villa and Arsenal to stay with his beloved Albion:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I agree that we should indeed have a minute silence for a true Albion Legend.:angel:

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
B.M.F said:
better piece in the Argus today. Did not realise he turned down Villa and Arsenal to stay with his beloved Albion:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: I agree that we should indeed have a minute silence for a true Albion Legend.:angel:

It appears that there will be a minute's silence at the Palace match, and the Palace forum have been informed, and have been asked that they respect it. They are (rightly) worried that the silence will not be observed as it should, and they will look like ignorant twats on the telly. The overall concensus on the Palace board is that this silence should be respected.

I hope that our fans will be similarly quiet, and will not take the minute's silence as a chance to shout stupid comments at the Palace fans for their little bit of televised fame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here