Page 1 of 35 123411 ... LastLast

what do job agencies really mean.. rant #3

0 Not allowed!
    when they say a job i applied for is being 'put on hold'..

either a firm needs staff, or they dont? if they dont think i'm suitable, i rather they said so, up front, rather than keep me hanging on..

a few other (direct) applications made anyway, so stuff the lot of 'em!

rant over.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Re: what do job agencies really mean.. rant #3

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by desprateseagull
      when they say a job i applied for is being 'put on hold'..

either a firm needs staff, or they dont? if they dont think i'm suitable, i rather they said so, up front, rather than keep me hanging on..

a few other (direct) applications made anyway, so stuff the lot of 'em!

rant over.
      Maybe they need the headcount but don't have the budget til the new year.
      Tricky-Art for perusal at your leisure. Warning : No Albion content (yet - maybe sometime)

http://www.painters-online.co.uk/artist/TrickyDicky

0 Not allowed!
      What sort of thing are you looking for DS?

Might give us a clue if we know what your preferred line of work would be.
      I've killed women and children. I've killed everything that walks or crawls at one time or another. And I'm here to kill you, Little Bill Archer, for what you done to The Seagulls.
      Registered Abuser

0 Not allowed!
      They may be banking on a new contract before they can commit to new staff.
      It is a full, well-hopped bitter with a reputation that exceeds the borders of its native and adjoining counties.

0 Not allowed!
      Seems fairly obvious to me.

They haven't yet decided if they need to appoint someone, but think they probably will at some point. Thus, there's no point in pressing on at the moment, but they may do at some time in the future.

In the meantime, obviously you need to continue hunting elsewhere, and if you're fixed up when they decide that they now want to fill the post it's their loss and they'll have to start from scratch again.

It's frustrating from both sides. I know this having been the person trying to bolster my team in the past only for senior management to procrastinate for ages, losing all the best candidates who had applied. After the third attempt at recruiting someone had been delayed, I left!

Oh, and it's not the agency's fault that their client decides to put the recruitment on hold. It actually costs them money too, so direct your angst elsewhere.
      Last edited by sully; 01-12-2006 at 17:48.

0 Not allowed!
      No, this is largely a scam by agencies to get more CVs in and generally raise their profile. They frequently advertise jobs that don't necessarily exist.
      "These were, I have to say, quite easily the ugliest people I have ever seen in my life, and I've been to Selhurst Park when Crystal Palace are at home."

Charlie Connelly, 'Attention All Shipping: a Journey round the Shipping Forecast'; published by Abacus Books, 2004, page 94.
      Lazy as a rug on Valium

0 Not allowed!
      I'll fill you in on job agency speak:

Hello = I'm a total and absolute fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy fuzzywuzzy intent on ripping you off

Goodbye = I've made all I can from you and now you are worthless to me so I've no further need for you, you may as well cease to exist.

Hope this helps
      I don't like your jerk-off name. I don't like your jerk-off face. I don't like your jerk-off behaviour, and I don't like you, jerk-off.

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by bhafc99
      No, this is largely a scam by agencies to get more CVs in and generally raise their profile. They frequently advertise jobs that don't necessarily exist.
      Source? Let me guess, you don't have one. It's just another unnecessary, unfounded dig at the recruitment industry.

If I put job on hold it's because the client has decided not to proceed. This can happen for a multitude of reasons. The company may not have approved headcount or have had headcount stalled. They may have budgetary issues. They may have just reconsidered the importance of the role.

The implication of a role being put on hold is that it will be available at some time in the future, as opposed to a closed role which has been filled or scrapped totally.

Desperate Fan - You really are beginning to rile me with your ill founded, stupid and somewhat ridiculous and ill informed digs at the recruitment industry. I understand that you are frustrated and need work, but perhaps you need to look at yourself, the types of roles you are applying for, your interview technique, your CV (and no, I am not doing that again), your presentation etc.
      I'm in the mood for ska
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Jimmy Saville
      Source? Let me guess, you don't have one. It's just another unnecessary, unfounded dig at the recruitment industry.

If I put job on hold it's because the client has decided not to proceed. This can happen for a multitude of reasons. The company may not have approved headcount or have had headcount stalled. They may have budgetary issues. They may have just reconsidered the importance of the role.

The implication of a role being put on hold is that it will be available at some time in the future, as opposed to a closed role which has been filled or scrapped totally.

Desperate Fan - You really are beginning to rile me with your ill founded, stupid and somewhat ridiculous and ill informed digs at the recruitment industry. I understand that you are frustrated and need work, but perhaps you need to look at yourself, the types of roles you are applying for, your interview technique, your CV (and no, I am not doing that again), your presentation etc.
      But job agencies are generally useless !!! I've used them to find jobs for myself and they rarely have the politeness to get back to you.

I'm currently interviewing for my tream and our company policy is to use agencies. The agencies seem incapable of sending candiates with the correct skill set ( and yes it has been made clear what we want ), they hack the CV's around and make them barely unreadable. It would help if they actually proof read what they send us !!!

I personally rate job agencies along side estate agents !

0 Not allowed!
      Originally posted by Westdene Seagull
      But job agencies are generally useless !!! I've used them to find jobs for myself and they rarely have the politeness to get back to you.

I'm currently interviewing for my tream and our company policy is to use agencies. The agencies seem incapable of sending candiates with the correct skill set ( and yes it has been made clear what we want ), they hack the CV's around and make them barely unreadable. It would help if they actually proof read what they send us !!!

I personally rate job agencies along side estate agents !
      THEN USE BETTER AGENCIES!!!

That's it. I've ****ing had enough of this shit on here. I've dedicated so much time defending my industry to unwarranted, pointless and uninformed threads full of bigotry and generalisations started by the likes of Desperate Fan. I just cannot be bothered anymore.

It gets me so ****ing angry that people like you are so happy to judge and generaslise and point the finger. You can have your pointless little rants. If you want my informed response you can check all the other answers I've given on the other "recruitment consultants are all wankers" threads. In fact, why not just bounce the one that Desperate Fan started three weeks ago rather than go through the motions all over again?

Oh and by the way, I am sick and tired of reading posts that are not proof read. What exactly is a "tream"?
      I'm in the mood for ska