Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Desert Orchid has died

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
London Irish said:
Pretty flabby parallel, we haven't seen the whole of NSC bow down in a spurious grief at something they had little connection with just to fit in with the popular mood, we've seen one or two (at most) posters express sadness at the death of a horse whose career they avidly followed. What harm is there in respecting that.

Flabby? Your argument here, my friend, is morbidly obese. And it comes from you, our boards most vociferous debater. You can always respect someone's position without feeling the need to temper your own reponse.

The most pertinent question asked here to US was: are you a vegetarian? He said this missed the point, which is laughable. Answer the questions US, do you eat animals? Is your respect for animals evident only when they are manipulated for human enjoyment?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I will explain this only once I will try and use simple language that the thicko's can understand.

Yes Desert Orchid was " only a horse " yes worse things happen in Iraq every hour, but many people will be saddened at the passing on of a equine legend. This is a football forum I can only equate it to the death of George Best for example or a similar massive football star. people will be sad, they will remember great sporting achievements and will toast and be sad. There are no doubt horse racing forums in the country with hundreds of distraught horse racing fans today, people on NSC cannot relate to that, they cannot emapthise with it , but just because you do not understand why disrespect.

That is my last word on the subject I am pleased his death has brought so much joy to everyone and the opportunity to post so many utterly side splitting gags :clap:

hans kraay fan club said:
Have you considered that it is your overeaction thta has fanned the flames of this.

I'm sure the slightly overblown style that US employs deliberately invites banter, and he would be mortified if everyone ignored his provocations :)

But the subject matter of this thread, it should have been left to memories of this remarkable horse - I know little about DO but would be interested to learn why he is he held in such great esteem, instead we get the usual "let's take the piss out of Spielberg stuff" - see hundreds of other NSC threads. Dull.

Nice touch the picture at the top, whoever did it :clap: :clap: :clap:

Artois

is 100% of your RDA
Jul 5, 2003
Hooters
Uncle Spielberg said:
This is a football forum I can only equate it to the death of George Best for example

I seem to remember the same 'play on words' jokes on here when he died too.

It's just the way NSC is.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Uncle Spielberg said:
There are no doubt horse racing forums in the country with hundreds of distraught horse racing fans today,
Are there REALLY? :lolol:

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
It seems Horses aren't so different from humans after all.

afterwards1.jpg

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Uncle Spielberg said:
I will explain this only once I will try and use simple language that the thicko's can understand.

Yes Desert Orchid was " only a horse " yes worse things happen in Iraq every hour, but many people will be saddened at the passing on of a equine legend. This is a football forum I can only equate it to the death of George Best for example or a similar massive football star. people will be sad, they will remember great sporting achievements and will toast and be sad. There are no doubt horse racing forums in the country with hundreds of distraught horse racing fans today, people on NSC cannot relate to that, they cannot emapthise with it , but just because you do not understand why disrespect.

That is my last word on the subject I am pleased his death has brought so much joy to everyone and the opportunity to post so many utterly side splitting gags :clap:

Its not Dessie's passing that has caused jocularity but more your rather OTT response to the banter. At no time has the animal been defamed or insulted but somehow you have taken offence.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Dessie was a great horse and an equine ambassador for Racing. At 27 he had a great innings and was still doing the 'personal appearance' circuit as late at this spring. He looked well but very shaggy in his coat.

Best Mate last year, however, was a great shame. At 10, he was a three time Gold Cup winner who never got to enjoy a well earned retirement.

It's funny but jump horses become like old friends. The public do not seem to hold flat horses in the same affection.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Uncle Spielberg said:
This is a football forum I can only equate it to the death of George Best for example or a similar massive football star.

Except Desert Orchid wasn't a wife beating ****.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Common as Mook said:
NSC GOLD.

That can't be so, a thread started by lil'old me requested to go into the hallowed halls of NSC gold.

(Can't think of a horsey pun, as I do just fall on the GG side of this fence)

Les Biehn said:
Twist what? You made a horse joke, something that a few others have done and yet you seem to be suggesting that those that did were being disrespectful. Am I wrong?

Yes, you are. As I already have explained once, the butt of the joke was myself for carelessly using such a horse pun. Fascinating although this deconstruction of my posts are to you, this will be my last reply to you (in case you are in mood for a spat) because I don't want to divert the rightful focus of this thread away from memories of Desert Orchard and why he had a special place in the affections of horseracing fans.

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
London Irish said:
Yes, you are. As I already have explaned, the butt of the joke was myself for carelessly using such a horse pun. Fascinating although this deconstruction of my posts are to you, this will be my last reply to you because I don't want to divert the rightful focus of this thread away from memories of Desert Orchard and why he had a special place in the affections of horseracing fans.

:lolol: You do talk some utter shite.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
nice touch to show the super Orchid by bozza although fleetingly it was a nice touch, if it was left for long it would have invited more piss taking opportunities. I did hold a great deal of affection for Dessie and travelled across the country in the late 80's to see him run. I don;t agree that the horse had not be defamed jokes about dog food and glue I find pretty insulting to a creature who had a great spirit and was a joy to watch in his prime. I will always remember the fantastic 1989 Gold cup win.

Will I win friends and influence people if I suggest that th'orse coulda been taken to Africa first, as there are other animals STARVING there that have to eat young elephants.
An old codger of a 'orse would have gone down well, and I think it would have APPRECIATED the natural death.

....and it would ensure that he wouldn't end up as :braders:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here