surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Hamster secures a £2m contract

By EMMA COX and
ANTONELLA LAZZERI
October 23, 2006

TOP Gear host Richard Hammond is “thrilled” to be going back to work after his horror car smash, colleagues said yesterday.

A £2million two-year “golden handcuffs” deal was offered to keep him at the BBC as he spoke for the first time about his accident.

Dad-of-two Richard, 36 — nicknamed Hamster — hopes to resume his career as soon as possible and bosses are backing him all the way.

The TV presenter told today of his terrifying ordeal in the aftermath of his 300mph jet car crash that nearly killed him.

He revealed the crash caused a brain injury which saw him regress to a childlike state and left him in excruciating pain.

Hammond crashed his Vampire car at 288mph at Elvington airfield, York, while filming for the show on September 20.

But just 33 days later he is ready to go home and on course to make a 100 per cent recovery – without having undergone surgery.

He said: “At first they said I’d be in hospital for 15 months.

“Yet here I am ready to go back home after five weeks. I’m so bloody lucky. I can’t believe it.

“At the time of the crash I was doing 288mph so it’s incredible that every doctor I’ve spoken to tells me I’m on course for a 100 per cent recovery.”

Hammond was doing one final run at the airfield when the crash happened.

He had already made a series of successful runs, getting faster at each attempt.

The jet car had previously been used to set the British land speed record of 300.3mph.

Hammond still does not know what went wrong, but he remembers the immediate aftermath, of finding himself in the car upside down and “inhaling a field”.

Richard's jet-powered dragster after flying off track at 300mph
Wreck ... Richard's jet-powered dragster after flying off track at 300mph

He described how he felt like he’d gone “ploughing on his head” and how the air ambulancemen were amazed he was still breathing.

He said: “Doctors use a points system. Fifteen is normal, three is a flatline. I was a three. I was that close to being dead.”

News of Richard's gradual recovery comes as the BBC looked to secure the popular presenter with the megabucks deal.

A source said: “It is great news for Richard. Top Gear means the world to him and he’d never want to leave.

“He wants it to run and run. He has such a great time on the show and he is always thrilled to be going in to work.

“The BBC see Richard as one of their top presenters, someone to be cherished.”

A BBC spokeswoman said yesterday: “Richard Hammond has signed an exclusive two-year deal with the BBC. We are delighted.”

But last night pals revealed the star is suffering short-term memory loss. Richard, who had a brain injury in the 300mph smash on September 20, can’t even remember what his last meals were.

Family and friends are praying the problem is only temporary. Fellow host James May, 43, said: “He knows who people are, his wife and kids, but he forgets that he talked to me that morning.”

James added that his pal was still enjoying banter, adding: “We were having a good laugh about his memory.

“He was saying he’d had macaroni cheese in hospital and was excited because he hadn’t had it for 20 years. And then he thought maybe he’d had it yesterday, but he wasn’t sure.”

Doctors are now limiting his visitors. Wife Mindy, 35, and daughters Isabella, five, and Willow, two, have been regular visitors.

But pals are still confident he will make a full recovery.

James said: “He’s not better — even with the best will in the world — but his prognosis is very good. We just have to wait.” Hamster is scheduled to appear at Birmingham NEC next weekend for the MPH 06 motor show.

A source on the show said: “Nothing has been confirmed yet but discussions about his appearance have taken place.

“If doctors give him the OK, then Richard could make it.”

Richard was lucky to live after the jet-powered dragster he was driving overturned during a Top Gear stunt.

He was airlifted to hospital from Elvington Airfield near York to Leeds infirmary. He was later moved by the same crew to a hospital nearer his home in Cheltenham, Gloucs.

That's Rich ... Top Gear presenter jokes with crew as he moves to hospital
That's Rich ... Top Gear presenter jokes with crew as he moves to hospital

Richard JOKED with the crew, saying: “They put me in the helicopter to take me to hospital and the pilot warned me to cover my ears as he was going to turn on the chopper’s jet engine.

“I told him: ‘Funny enough the last thing I heard was a jet engine’.”

Doctors feared he may be permanently brain damaged.

Richard is now recovering at a BUPA hospital in Clifton, Bristol. His spokesman said yesterday: “He is in fine form.”

Clickety Click

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Nice to see he's making abit of money out of the horrific accident. Good luck to him :clap:

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Re: Re: Richard Hammond Latest

Trufflehound said:
But he'd already built his entire Top Gear career on behaving like that...

:lolol:

its good to see the accident has not put him off going back

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here