Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fifa 2007

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
http://uk.ps2.ign.com/articles/735/735077p1.html

IGN Review:

Although FIFA 07 has the cash-rich swagger of Chelsea and plays a free-flowing game of football in much the same vein as Arsenal, surprisingly it has more in common with Portsmouth than any other club. Both were struggling at the end of last season, with Harry Redknapp's boys battling to stay out of the relegation zone and FIFA 06 coming off second best (again) to Pro Evolution Soccer 5. But a few months on and everything has changed. Pompey is sitting just one spot below Chelsea at the top of the Premier League table and the FIFA series is poised to close the gap on its long-standing rival to the narrowest of margins, thanks to the much-improved football game that is FIFA 07.

Unlike FIFA 07 on Xbox 360, which has been completely rebuilt from the ground up, the improvements current-gen FIFA 07 has to offer are more a case evolution than revolution, with the latest in the series building on the elements of FIFA 06 that worked well rather than starting from scratch. As result all of the positives that in the past have made FIFA the best-selling football game on the planet - the hundreds of officially licensed clubs and players, intuitive controls, superb presentation and killer soundtrack - are all present and correct. But it's the fine-tuned gameplay and new ball physics that really stand out and make FIFA 07 a great game rather than just a good one.

Playing FIFA 07 is an experience much closer to the real game than ever before and that's largely down to the way the ball now reacts. In previous FIFAs the ball physics were painfully basic and as such the way a shot bounced around the pitch or deflected off a keeper depended primarily on player animations rather than acting independently. That's all changed, with EA cranking up the complexity of the ball physics so that the game feels more natural and the ball reacts in a much more organic way. Fumbling goalies, awkward deflections and other on-pitch occurrences like handballs - all part of the beautiful game in real life - are in FIFA 07 too, but they happen randomly rather than being associated to a pre-determined animation or particular set-piece. Therefore you might get a lucky deflection that directs your shot into the back of the net, but more often than not you'll only score through skill - a requirement somewhat lacking in previous FIFA games.

Ah yes, the notorious scoring sweet spots that dogged previous FIFA outings. Thankfully they're virtually non-existent here, with defenders closing down shots much quicker - especially if you're playing as a decent team. Admittedly, it's still possible to score from long range (more on that later) but it's much harder. In fact you're more likely to get one over the opposition by passing the ball around to create space, using the runs of AI players to split the defence and open up the goal for a clear shot.

Speaking of fellow team-mates, they react more intelligently to the way you play, making probing runs and backtracking to cover out-of-position defenders far better than any other FIFA game - and, dare we say it, PES5. In fact, playing as Barcelona or Chelsea, or any other club with a high 'team chemistry' rating for that matter, is one of the most satisfying footy experiences to be had, with individual players linking up to play some truly beautiful football.

Take Arsenal for example: watching Freddie Ljungberg effortlessly thread an inch-perfect through-ball to Ashley Cole who's passed him on the overlap is a sight to behold, especially when the move is finished off with a superbly hit half-volley from Thierry Henry. It's not just the top clubs that work together well either and, as ever, FIFA caters for the lower league teams superbly well, boasting over 500 teams from 27 leagues - all with the proper kits, badges and players. Well, almost. You see, when we mentioned Cole and Ljungberg linking up earlier it wasn't a mistake on our part but one of the (admittedly very few) niggles we have with FIFA 07. Unfortunately the player roster is accurate only up until 27 August, so any transfers made after that date are not included. Gallas still plays for Chelsea, Cole and Campbell are included in the Gunners line-up and Van Nistelrooy still plays in red and black. Sure, team rosters can be manually changed but in our opinion it's an annoying oversight - but thankfully one that will be rectified for the Xbox 360 version.

On the subject of flaws, the goalkeepers on the default settings make too many mistakes. Liverpool's Jose Reina let in an absolute howler from over 30 yards, a fairly weak shot hitting the inside of his leg and trickling over the line. They're pretty pathetic against free-kicks too, with Petr Cech - one of the best shot-stoppers in the world - beaten twice in close succession by Mark Viduka from over 35 yards away. Cranking up the difficulty to Professional alleviates the problem a little but FIFA 07 still plays a high scoring game of football which some may find a little too unrealistic. However, spend a little time tweaking the game settings to suit your style of play - especially the manual player select, which is too sluggish on default - and FIFA 07 is all the better for it.

There's also much more to the game than what happens on the pitch. There's a fully-fledged management sim that, although nowhere near as in-depth or complex as a dedicated game like Football Manager, still adds another level for players who want more than just a kick around on the grass. There's also the option to create your own team and lead them to cup glory, either as a manager or player - or indeed both. The PS2 version even boasts PSP connectivity, meaning you can continue your league run on the way to work.

Ultimately, though, the most important question is whether FIFA 07 plays a better game of football compared to last year's game - to which the answer is a resounding 'yes'. It's more fluid, the player animations are more natural and free-flowing and the ball movement mimics real life much more closely. As a result it's a much more enjoyable experience - which is probably how Harry Redknapp feels after Pompey's incredible start to the season.

Closing Comments

What a difference a year makes. FIFA 07 has closed the gap on PES5 more than we could possibly have imagined. Compared to previous FIFA instalments this plays a more rounded, authentic game of football without cranking up the realism so much that it’s no longer fun. The result is a game that’s as fun and as accessible as any of its predecessors, but with gameplay that’s more Premier League than the Championship.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Have you even played it though fella?

I've been playing it this afternoon - not sure if I like it yet though!

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Even if it is, one day, the better game?

I'm loyal PES too but willing to try it!

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Turkey said:
Even if it is, one day, the better game?

I'm loyal PES too but willing to try it!
Exactly. Kev's attitude is silly, the "buy it regardless" mentality contributed to making FIFA go crap. I haven't played this, but I will try it. :)

1066gull

brightonfan_86 said:
Never played Fifa mate, PES all the damn way.
So how can you say if its shit if you never tried it?

I have never played PES in my life, but I don't say that is shit.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
By all accounts the latest Fifa is actually supposed to be damn good - i might get a demo.

PES is good, but a bit overhyped by certain individuals me thinks..

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
first impressions,very good,i like both formats if thats allowed,fifa and pro

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here