Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crazy money in football..

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
the bottom has dropped out of the transfer market now, and I'm not surprised. looking back a few years its unbelievable how much money was thrown about, examples..

Coventry are currently in dire financial difficulties, considering back in July 1999 Gordon Strachan paid out 2 Million for Stefano Gioacchini, who didnt even play once for the club, its hardly surprising, then spending £5 million on Lee Hughes, just after you'd got relegated,whats up with that!

Wolves spent £11 million on their team in the summer of 2001 and failed to get promoted..

Ipswich paid £1.5 million for Ulrich Le Pen, who made 1 subsitute appearance for the club(and these clubs wonder why they go into adminstration) in late 2001.

ok

John Gregory spent £5.8 million on Bosco Balaban, who has yet to make his full debut for aston villa, appearing as a sub 8 times.(the club spent £21 million at the start of 2001/2002, that money
fired them towards a very impressive......8th)

Sunderland will be looking worryingly at their bank balances after £19 million pounds was spent last year(after the crash in the market) on trying to mantain their premiership status. One question, why the hell did Howard Wilkinson spend £2.5 million on Mart Poom, only to have him as a cover goalie, when the club already had the pretty good Jurgen Macho(now at chelsea) and former everton gk Tomas Myhre at the club...crazy

I wont mention the £5.5 million West Ham spent on Tomas Repka, sent off twice in his first three games.

surely didnt someone see this financial collapse coming?

sometimes I think these clubs get what they deserve

Last edited by a moderator:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The prem has ruined English football.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Not that I mind, but why was a thread, which got ZERO replies, from four years ago, bounced?

I knew someone would reply eventually...

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
Actually just reading Argus , i cant believe what Crawley were paying their players supposedly
"I have a little smile when I see these ex-managers go away and criticise what is going on. With all due respect, if I'd been the chairman and had the budget they had, even allowing for the ten points, I would have sacked them because the performances and the individual deals were ridiculous.

"There were players here last year who were on 50, 60, 70 grand a year and people ask why Crawley got in trouble.

"Thankfully we are nearly through all that and we are sitting here with an average wage of £450 and £500 a week for a player because it is sustainable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here