Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adams vs McGhee

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
westy said:
I think Les Biehn, LI, and Spiderman himself Gullsworth have all made valid points.

For Kinky Gerbils to say he has no connections in the transfer market blah blah is not really true.
Go back to the point that he has probably made the club more money than any other manager in our history by selling players for WAY over the ods. Virgo 1.5 M?!! Fantastic business, as was the Harding, Currie money. Even Cullips sale was good money for someone who we got the best years out of.

When it comes 2 bringing players in, again go back to what was said earlier, its a hell of a lot harder to bring in Chamionship players for nothing than it is players like Nathan Jones who did well in Div 3. He doesnt sign loads of players as he doesnt want to fill the ranks with more of the same. So hes fussy, GOOD! Why sign 6 average players, id rather wait and see if he can unearth another Currie to be honest, 1 player tht could make the difference between midtable and the play offs.

Have a good evening all.

How does the selling club have to have contacts to sell players?

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Frankly, that's nonsense - the only reason you've been able to watch two years of Championship-level football is because of the incredible team spirit and organisation injected into a squad of players that didn't really belong at that level.

Yeah, and that really showed last season, didn't it? When the backs were against the wall, McGhee's motivational abilities suddenly went missing.

Repugnant Toad said:
Yeah, and that really showed last season, didn't it? When the backs were against the wall, McGhee's motivational abilities suddenly went missing.

Strongly disagree, the team were well motivated when we had those fine away wins against Millwall and Ipswich in the run-in.

But it's a sad fact that a squad lacking in Championship-standard quality can't keep that up constantly against better teams. And we were playing better quality, better funded teams, week in, week out.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
Finchley Seagull said:
However, comparing them is stupid. How can you expect to attract a striker in the fourth level for £100k six years ago and then attract a good striker for the second level ... for a similar amount.

Not my point.

I was demonstrating that Zamora's signing wasn't a case of luck; it was one of taking a substantial, calculated gamble that paid off. The Turienzo signing is comparable not for the specific fee involved, or the quality of the player, but because it too was a gamble based on shelling out a large amount of money - except this time it didn't pay off.

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
London Irish said:
Strongly disagree, the team were well motivated when we had those fine away wins against Millwall and Ipswich in the run-in.

I don't see it quite like that - the team performed when they knew they were realistically down. Hardly unusual ... it happens most seasons when the pressure's off.

Repugnant Toad said:
I don't see it quite like that - the team performed when they knew they were realistically down. Hardly unusual ... it happens most seasons when the pressure's off.

The 5-1 against Stoke was what happened when "the pressure was off", up to the Wendys game we had realistic (even if odds-against) hopes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here