Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Player hunt on hold

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Albion manager Mark McGhee will put his search for new players on hold until after the pre-season trip to Le Havre.

McGhee revealed he had been turned down by another club in his bid to strengthen his squad for the new season.

There will be no new faces when the Seagulls begin their week long training camp in France tomorrow.

McGhee said: "We have been turned down by another club but we will continue to search.

"The squad is not all together yet, we are still short of a couple of players we are trying hard to bring in.

"I would have loved to have brought them to Le Havre but we can't have them, so we will go there and hopefully have another really good week like we did last year."

McGhee will make a decision today on whether to include triallist Dan Severino in the party.

Severino played 45 minutes in Albion's 1-1 friendly draw at Aldershot last night and will feature at Bognor this afternoon (2pm).

The quintet of French triallists will not play Nyewood Lane but could feature in Le Havre.

McGhee said: "He (Severino) showed a bit of vision and he will get a full game against Bognor. We will make a decision afterwards whether he comes to France.

"If the French players are going to talk to their agents we may have one or two back in Le Havre."

Adam Hinshelwood, who missed most of last season with a knee ligament damage, limped off after ten minutes but McGhee insists his hamstring injury is not serious.

Yes because the season isnt a few weeks away now is it?

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Sounds like the same story we get every summer.

Only 3 weeks to go and only one new face in from non-league who 'has potential' in Revell. How many times does this happen ?

I think in all probability that we'll just end up with an unknown trialist being given 3 months to prove himself plus the obligatory last minute loan signing the night before the Rotherham game.

I'm getting a bit concerned already especially as nearly everyone in the division has already strengthend to some degree. I wasn't expecting 5 or 6 new players to come in, but I was hoping that we would have 2 or 3 recognised new faces at this level by now.

Plus last nights performance (in my opinion) was pretty lame. We hardly created anything all night and were lucky to equilise.

How come Micky Adams managed to bring in new faces each summer when he was in charge ?

It's going to be a long season I fear.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
southstandandy said:

How come Micky Adams managed to bring in new faces each summer when he was in charge ?
It seems to me that players don't want to risk jeopardising their careers by coming here, in case they fall out with Magoo and get frozen out.

sir danny cullip

Feb 14, 2004
Burgess Hill
If MM doesn't take that winger to france he's well and truly gone mad. Was pretty much the best player on the pitch last night when he came on! Showed a few good touches and put the only decent cross in of the night. O and he should also sign the aldershot right back, ex chelsea reserves and marked frutos out the game first half as well as setting their goal up.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So why are the French triallists not involved in the friendlies at the moment? They didn't appear to set the World alight against Worthing, and yet they are hardly bursting to win a contract with us are they.

"If the French players are going to talk to their agents we may have one or two back in Le Havre."

What are they talking about? "f*** sake, is this REALLY the only club prepared to take a look at me?"

This is all sounding horribly familiar.
:down:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He is doing his best I'm sure. Whether that is good enough only time will tell. I expect the trialists are trying to do better than us, I know I would.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
southstandandy said:

Thats what we miss at the club since Mickey Adams went. We used to be so organised before pre season in knowing what players we wanted to sign, who were available, and who wanted to sign for us, then we went and got most of them pre season.

Now it just seems to be wait for the agent to send us a few French players and see what they can offer, then bring out the same old excuses when the season starts about how hard it us to sign players.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Superseagull said:
Thats what we miss at the club since Mickey Adams went. We used to be so organised before pre season in knowing what players we wanted to sign, who were available, and who wanted to sign for us, then we went and got most of them pre season.

Now it just seems to be wait for the agent to send us a few French players and see what they can offer, then bring out the same old excuses when the season starts about how hard it us to sign players.

As the great man said "failing to prepare is preparing to fail"
You dont have to look much further than last year to see thats the case.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
dougdeep said:
He is doing his best I'm sure. Whether that is good enough only time will tell. I expect the trialists are trying to do better than us, I know I would.

Why do you already talk us down?... there are a clubs in a lot worse position than we are in...

If you read the story properly, the "player hunt put on hold" is just a very misleading headline.

The direct quote from McGhee is "we will continue the search".

:rolleyes:

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
I would have thought that Brighton would be quite a desirable club considering we are one of the biggest in League 1. The type of players we are looking at are only really attracting interest from League 1 and 2 clubs, so why aren't we able to sign them. It's not like in the Championship where all the other clubs were better prospects. Why don't we start looking at English League 1 and 2 players who stood out last season. We know they can do the business and they would surely relish a move to a 'medium' sized club like Brighton.

The type of manager is also really important. Many players sign for the manager rather than the club, e.g. Bellemy to Blackburn because Mark Hughes was the manager and he had worked with him before. Mark McGhee just doesn't have that kind of respect from players Adams did.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
paddy said:
I would have thought that Brighton would be quite a desirable club considering we are one of the biggest in League 1. The type of players we are looking at are only really attracting interest from League 1 and 2 clubs, so why aren't we able to sign them. It's not like in the Championship where all the other clubs were better prospects. Why don't we start looking at English League 1 and 2 players who stood out last season. We know they can do the business and they would surely relish a move to a 'medium' sized club like Brighton.

The type of manager is also really important. Many players sign for the manager rather than the club, e.g. Bellemy to Blackburn because Mark Hughes was the manager and he had worked with him before. Mark McGhee just doesn't have that kind of respect from players Adams did.

That is a great summary of how things appear to be WRT new signings...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
southstandandy said:
In order to score a point, you appear to have used selective memory.

Micky went and effectively re-assembled the core of his Fulham squad, a squad which recently had won the division we were playing in (the bottom division). So he didn't exactly have to go far.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yes, of course Mickey Adams never fell out with his players did he ?

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
The Large One said:
One day, people will wake up from this deluded fantasy and realise this statement simply is not true.

Do you not think that Brighton and Hove Albion is regarded higher than teams such as Yeovil, Scunthorpe or Blackpool?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
In order to score a point, you appear to have used selective memory.

Micky went and effectively re-assembled the core of his Fulham squad, a squad which recently had won the division we were playing in (the bottom division). So he didn't exactly have to go far.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

So waht? he managed to make consistently good signings... MM has consistently under-performed in this area...

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
The Large One said:
One day, people will wake up from this deluded fantasy and realise this statement simply is not true.

One day you will wake up and realise that there are other clubs in our current league who are far less appealing as a proposition than Brighton...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here