Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBc showing world cup games live on the net

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
BBC website shows World Cup games
All of the BBC's 2006 World Cup matches will also be broadcast exclusively live on the BBC Sport website.
The service will be available to UK broadband users and will mirror terrestrial and interactive coverage.

In addition there will be four-minute highlight packages from every single game of the tournament on demand.

Head of Sport Roger Mosey said: "The World Cup on broadband is our biggest commitment yet to bringing people major events where and when they want them."

All of the BBC's group games will be covered live on the internet as well as all the subsequent games the BBC has in the knockout stages, including England's second round and quarter-final games, should they reach that stage.
Viewers will be able to stream the same coverage as will appear on terrestrial television and listen to the same commentary.

In addition to watching the games, online users will be able to hear and read about the latest action - Radio Five Live will have an audio stream and there will also be live minute-by-minute written reports on every match.

Mosey added: "You can watch the World Cup from the BBC at home on TV, listen in the car on your radio and now also see full live coverage on your PC.

"We know a lot of online viewing is done in the office, so we suspect this will allow people both to do their job and to keep up with the very latest action from Germany."

The BBC has successfully broadcast football over the internet before, but this is by far its biggest-ever single commitment.

In 2005 the BBC showed the final of the Club World Championship between Liverpool and Sao Paulo online to UK internet users.

Similarly the BBC also broadcast online all the interactive streams from Athens 2004 Olympics.

And this year's Wimbledon Championships will be broadcast live on the BBC Sport website for the first time.

The BBC already has the broadband rights to the 2010 and 2014 World Cups.

Group matches available online:
(all kick-off times are BST)

Friday 9 June
Germany v Costa Rica (1700)

Saturday 10 June
England v Paraguay (1400)

Sunday 11 June
Serbia & Montenegro v Netherlands (1400)
Mexico v Iran (1700)

Monday 12 June
USA v Czech Republic (1700)
Italy v Ghana (2000)

Tuesday 13 June
South Korea v Togo (1400)
France v Switzerland (1700)
Brazil v Croatia (2000)

Wednesday 14 June
Germany v Poland (2000)

Friday 16 June
Argentina v Serbia & Montenegro (1400)

Saturday 17 June
Portugal v Iran (1400)

Sunday 18 June
France v South Korea (2000)

Monday 19 June
Togo v Switzerland (1400)
Spain v Tunisia (2000)

Thursday 22 June
Czech Republic v Italy (1500)
Ghana v USA (1500)
Japan v Brazil (2000)
Croatia v Australia (2000)

Friday 23 June
Ukraine v Tunisia (1500)
Saudi Arabia v Spain (1500)
Togo v France (2000)
Switzerland v South Korea (2000)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Great stuff. Good spot.

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
I know, it's quality isn't it!? I've got broadband in my office and my boss has just quit!

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
But then I can't post at the same time.

Last edited:

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
great news.. heard about it yesterday on the radio. but at least i can now watch every game. where as before even though i bought all 3 tv's in the house and pay for the full sky package myself. i still never get a say whats on tv because of kids and wife.. :nono:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here