Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mike Bailey' Manager - who can remember ?.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Perry Milkins said:
I remember as a young klad listening to the old crew moaning about the way we played. FFS we went and done Southampton 2-0 at the Dell with KK and Alan ball playing for them.

These are the same old gits who whine at the Withdean

The dyas of Archie macaulaye and all that bollocks. Arguable the decsion to sack Bailey was the worst ever made by the board!!!

As you can tell this has hit a very scratchy spot with me. We were damn dificult to beat in those days.

:angry:

Would not think that many of the old gits then are at Withdean now. Suppose it depends on what you mean by old. I'm 64 but you'll never catch me moaning :lolol:

PS This is my 1000 post. Do I get a certificate or something?;)

Hadlee

Oct 27, 2003
Southwick
Perry Milkins said:
I remember as a young klad listening to the old crew moaning about the way we played. FFS we went and done Southampton 2-0 at the Dell with KK and Alan ball playing for them.

These are the same old gits who whine at the Withdean

The dyas of Archie macaulaye and all that bollocks. Arguable the decsion to sack Bailey was the worst ever made by the board!!!

As you can tell this has hit a very scratchy spot with me. We were damn dificult to beat in those days.

:angry:

You were'nt that young Kido !

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Perry Milkins said:

I was asking if that was the game that Andy Ritchie scored with a thunderbolt, and then realised it was a different season and a different manager, so I edited the post :)

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
Ernest said:
Mike Bailey was the victim of the whingers and moaners who not being able to criticise the team for winning then decided to moan about the style of play.
Thus from going to places like Anfield, White Hart Lane and The Dell when Keegan was playing and winning we started to lose to teams like Luton 5-0.
If Mike Bailey had been allowed to continue his policy of building from the back and grinding out 1-0 wins then we would never have been relegated in 1983 and might never have got into financial strife all those years later.

spot on

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Wasn't just the albion fans moaning. I remember the press generally slating the albion for their performances. Still prefer to be slated and winning though.

Didn't we end up swapping Mullery for Bailey with Charlton?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Ernest said:
Mike Bailey was the victim of the whingers and moaners who not being able to criticise the team for winning then decided to moan about the style of play.
Thus from going to places like Anfield, White Hart Lane and The Dell when Keegan was playing and winning we started to lose to teams like Luton 5-0.
If Mike Bailey had been allowed to continue his policy of building from the back and grinding out 1-0 wins then we would never have been relegated in 1983 and might never have got into financial strife all those years later.

f*** me.

Comes all over dizzy, like (*).

I've just agreed with Ernest.

(*Yea, I know. Who's Dizzy?)

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
A damning indictment of what happens when 'appeasing the customers' is put before the logic of a football team.

Attendances all over the country were dropping - I think we had the 17th best attendance in the First division at the time (averaging 12k). In today's climate the 17th best in the permiership is something like 28500 at Middlesborough

D

Deleted User X18H

Cattlin Shagged someones wife I don't know who's but someone in the managerial team or on the board fact.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
hove born&bred said:
Cattlin Shagged someones wife I don't know who's but someone in the managerial team or on the board fact.

I find that hard to believe. He is one ugly fucker.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Ernest said:

Which is why I dislike whingers and moaners.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Ernest said:

exactly

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Ernest said:
Which is why I DISLIKE people who weren't supporters then .

I was a fan then and the football was pretty grim. Give me the beautiful game in the 2nd and 3rd division with the Albion RAPING other teams and the never bettered rivalry with the scum which I would prefer any day. We were a BIG team then .Oh happy days

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Ernest said:
Which is why I DISLIKE people who weren't supporters then .

:clap:

yep she says shes supported the team for 54 years but we never seem to hear about many of these years where she was watching the team regulary:glare:

Minge

Jan 3, 2005
Icy Gull said:
I was a fan then and the football was pretty grim. Give me the beautiful game in the 2nd and 3rd division with the Albion RAPING other teams and the never bettered rivalry with the scum which I would prefer any day. We were a BIG team then .Oh happy days

Our support away from home after the first season in the top flight was an embarrassment. We regularly had less than 100 fans at away games.

That season under Bailey featured

Going FIFTH in the top division on September 22 1981, our highest ever position, only tried and tested loyal fans were there in a piss poor attendance of 12,000 at Molyneux.

Drawing 3-3 against Liverpool at home, and beating them 1-0 at Anfield

Defeating Arsenal at home and drawing away.

Tanking Man City 4-1 at the Goldstone, with Robinson and Ritchie running riot.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Uncle Spielberg said:
Mike Bailey is dismissed at Brighton manager, a victim, according to Chairman Mike Bamber, of the 'modern style of play, which was too negative for the spectators'. Bamber says: "We will be looking for a manager who can equip our team to play entertaining match-winning football." .

Take Note Dick Knight FFS otherwise you'll be looking at an Empty Withdean

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Daffyd Thomas said:
Our support away from home after the first season in the top flight was an embarrassment. We regularly had less than 100 fans at away games.

That season under Bailey featured

Going FIFTH in the top division on September 22 1981, our highest ever position, only tried and tested loyal fans were there in a piss poor attendance of 12,000 at Molyneux.

Drawing 3-3 against Liverpool at home, and beating them 1-0 at Anfield

Defeating Arsenal at home and drawing away.

Tanking Man City 4-1 at the Goldstone, with Robinson and Ritchie running riot.

thats the stuff my childhood was made of . . . .Lego stands and all :clap2:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
zefarelly said:
Take Note Dick Knight FFS otherwise you'll be looking at an Empty Withdean

You could apply that logic to more than 30 other shit league teams and then we could all watch a Premiership stuffed full of foreign players on tv every week when thay all go bust :rolleyes:

I reckon there are 4-5000 hard core fans of this club the rest are fickle glory hunters, which is why I worry about Falmer without a sugar daddy.

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dwayne said:
:clap:

yep she says shes supported the team for 54 years but we never seem to hear about many of these years where she was watching the team regulary:glare:

It's 45 years as I am only 57 now.

I'm flattered you take so much notice dwayne.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here