Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albion Invester Rumour

Dec 27, 2005
BRIGHTO KEMP TOWN
Heard a rumour a few months ago that the Bloom family (I think Harry Bloom??, the ex director from a few years ago), left a while after Archer took over was interested in getting back on the Board. Bloom had been a director for a number of years.

Seems to have smart money but stays in the background.

Got this from a very good source!

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
according to this he is on the board already, taken from
http://www.football-league.premiumtv.co.uk/page/ClubsChampionship/0,,10794,00.html

Chief Executive: Martin Perry
Secretary: Derek J Allan
Manager: Mark McGhee
Assistant Manager: Bob Booker
Reserve Team Coach: Dean White
Press Officer/Programme Editor: Paul Camillin
Commercial Manager: Kevin Keehan
Community Scheme Organiser: Steve Ford
Safety Officer: Richard Hebberd
Director of Football: Martin Hinshelwood
Youth Team Coach: Dean Wilkins
Physiotherapist: Malcolm Stuart
Directors: Dick Knight (Chairman), Ray Bloom, Derek Chapman, Martin Perry
Non Executive Director: Sir John Smith

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
this from 2000

http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2000/8/29/189692.html

Well-known Brighton entrepreneur Ray Bloom has added another business to a successful portfolio.

Ray, who is a director of Brighton & Hove Albion, his wife Claudine and daughters Carina and Natalie have just opened the ninth in a fast-growing chain of coffee houses at Oxford.

Good Bean Coffee opened its first cafe in Nile Street, Brighton, in November 1998, followed by Bond Street in March 1999 and Traflagar Street three months later.

It then branched out to Bristol, Reading and now Oxford.

Youngest daughter Carina, who is business development manager, said the company expected to have 20 shops by this time next year and double that amount in the following 12 months.

"We started working on the idea of the shops about three years before opening the first one.

"Since the mid-Nineties, there has been a growing passion for coffee shops and we wanted to create our own brand.

"I know it is a very competitive marketplace but we have identified a niche in the market and developed the business around it.

"Lifestyles are changing, people want something different and they want good, efficient and friendly service."

Good Bean has its own central kitchen in Nile Street. Its meat products come from RSPCA-approved farms.

It does not use any genetically modified ingredients or artificial additives/preservatives.

Ray Bloom's background includes running a string of motor dealerships.

He once owned two of Hove's leading hotels, the Imperial and Langfords, and had a highly successful exhibitions and publishing business which was bought by one of the world's biggest publishers.

Mr Bloom said: "The family has a background in the hospitality business from the days when we had the hotels.

"Although that was on a quite different scale, we have a good knowledge of the business.

"We are a very close family and this is the first time we have all worked together and it is working out very well."

its AMAZING what Google Search finds, now lets use GoogleEarth and SPY on him ;)

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
and more, quite intersting this, from 1998:

http://www.timc.mistral.co.uk/bisa.htm

...Dick Knight emphasised that the Board would not allow the club to be destabilised by any changes, and that the support and investment – which is helping to pay for Withdean – provided by Ray Bloom is most welcome. The new shareholdings are as follows: Archer 41.25%, Knight 37.92%, Bloom 16.67%, Pinnock 3.23% and Perry 0.83%. However, the voting system was shown to vest the “balance of power” in the non-executive directors, Sir John Smith and Richard Faulkner....

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You could also of course go to the Argus website and search under some choice keywords. ;)

Last edited:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
the nets GREAT Clapham i LOVE it :D

AND this from NSC & Harty back in 2004:

Posted by Harty on 24-10-2004 06:38 :

The feedback I received from Albion fans when I went out last night was certainly mixed.
One point that was raised to me was Dick Knight's statement that he and the Directors had put in £7.1million since 1997, there is no reason to doubt these figures but one supporter I met last night wondered what the breakdown actually was because he is led to beleive that Dick Knight has put in £1.3million so who has put up the other £5.8million?
I suggested it would be the likes of Ray Bloom, Kevin Griffiths, Norman Cook etc, but he then asked do amounts invested relate to the current shareholdings?
Does anyone on NSC have the answer?

Marc said:
He once owned two of Hove's leading hotels, the Imperial and Langfords
Do all of his businesses have a habit of ending up in the hands of Nicholas Hoogstraten?

http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2002/12/13/144369.html

The court heard Hoogstraten, 57, started buying hotels in Brighton and Hove in 1991 as the economy collapsed.

Among them were Courtlands Hotel, the Imperial Hotel, Langfords and The Madeira.

He bought Courtlands in 1993 when it went into receivership.

It was the realisation of a lifelong ambition. He said: "I always wanted it from I was very young."

Likewise, he bought the Imperial Hotel when it went into receivership.

His hotels were registered to Tombstone Ltd, a company in which he had only 1,000 shares but of which he was sole director under the alias Von Hessen.

This company alone is allegedly worth more than £18 million.

Hoogstraten and Caroline Williams were directors of Tombstone's subsidiary company Richmond Hotels.

Hoogstraten also has share holdings in Planet Properties Ltd.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Lord Bracknell said:
Do all of his businesses have a habit of ending up in the hands of Nicholas Hoogstraten?

http://archive.theargus.co.uk/2002/12/13/144369.html

The court heard Hoogstraten, 57, started buying hotels in Brighton and Hove in 1991 as the economy collapsed.

Among them were Courtlands Hotel, the Imperial Hotel, Langfords and The Madeira.

He bought Courtlands in 1993 when it went into receivership.

It was the realisation of a lifelong ambition. He said: "I always wanted it from I was very young."

Likewise, he bought the Imperial Hotel when it went into receivership.

His hotels were registered to Tombstone Ltd, a company in which he had only 1,000 shares but of which he was sole director under the alias Von Hessen.

This company alone is allegedly worth more than £18 million.

Hoogstraten and Caroline Williams were directors of Tombstone's subsidiary company Richmond Hotels.

Hoogstraten also has share holdings in Planet Properties Ltd.

Great. You've really pleased me there Ed. Most of our training courses are at the Courtlands, Langford or Imperial. I could cope with 2 of them being Van Hog-strickens but all three!!!!:thud:

1066gull

If I was a millionaire I would plough loads of it in to the club, but I would not be intrested in running the club as I don't want to be in that position.

Lord Bracknell said:
The same guy who was a shareholder in Sporting Options?
We haven't had a lot of "luck" with gaming internet entrepreneurs, have we? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Does anyone know if this Bloom guy was well clear of the scene when Sporting Options went tits up?

It's strange - but probably good for us - that there have been no developments in the SO story since the admins were called in and discovered a few "irregularities". When was that, 18 months ago?

Last edited:

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
All this is very interesting, but how much money does he have to invest?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
I've heard that Ray Bloom's a dodgy fella.

Apart from anything else, his son milked the Albion when it was on its death bed, selling hundreds of Hereford tickets at £50-a-pop back in 1997 :angry: :angry:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
....and because of the troubles re:Falmer,the club is to relocate to the national hoop-la arena in Grantham and become Grantham Albion Seagulls.

afters

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
The Large One said:
And how much shit did certain individuals want sling in the chairman's direction over that one?

:nono:

they were right to do so.

anybody who thinks that 18-months later and you're in the clear knows nothing of business law i'm afraid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here