Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Starry said:
Me too.

One of my oldest childs friends came home for tea the other day and called my sons sick little sister a spakker for not being able to walk up the stairs. Needless to say he was asked not to repeat such words in our house and I told his mum who was mortified.

I don't really care for people throwing it around randomly but when someone refers to me or my kids, nuh-uh. Maybe those who are so free with it would think differently if they had a child with special needs.

I hear what you're saying. My three year old came home from nursery and used the word 'lush'. I too was mortified. If she exhibits any more Bristolian traits drastic steps will have to be taken.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Bozza said:
I hear what you're saying. My three year old came home from nursery and used the word 'lush'. I too was mortified. If she exhibits any more Bristolian traits drastic steps will have to be taken.

My son came home from football practice saying bag of balls. I thought he was referring to, well, a bag of balls. A few days later it turned out it actually means a work shy, on the dole, scrounger.

That and oh bugger are unfortunatly his favourite phrases. *sigh*

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Starry said:
My son came home from football practice saying bag of balls. I thought he was referring to, well, a bag of balls. A few days later it turned out it actually means a work shy, on the dole, scrounger.

That and oh bugger are unfortunatly his favourite phrases. *sigh*

Bag of balls!! I love it, how old is this verbally gifted genius?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Les Biehn said:
Bag of balls!! I love it, how old is this verbally gifted genius?

He's eight, going on eighteen.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
BarrelofFun said:
I am deaf and wear hearing aids. I dont take offence to various words that are thrown about (not because I don't hear them:lolol: )

If people are happy using these words then I couldn't care less. If they want to be irreverent human beings then it is up to them. There is no point arguing with an idiot, as they bring you down to their level.

I was the subject of abuse during a hockey game at Uni, playing against our 2nd XI in the league. They had not lost for 2 years and they were playing the 4th XI (my team) with beer guts galore. The keeper was making comments all throughout the match and it spurred me on. I scored, we won and then I shook his hand at the end of the game. It took a lot of self control, but I wanted to prove than just beacuse you have a defect, doesnt make you strange or non-human.

I prefer to talk about these things, rather than avoid the subject. I guess I am going on a little so.......

You'll love my mate's story from last weekend.

He was chatting up pretty girl for a while, and things looked promising, until he said to her "By the way, have you just had your tongue pierced, cos you talk funny?

She says "I'm deaf you bastard" slaps him and empties his Stella over his head, then tells the bouncer who chucks him out!

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I don't know what it is, I consider myself a fairly intelligent human being but kids and old people swearing gets me everytime. And I don't even like Little Britain.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
hans kraay fan club said:
You'll love my mate's story from last weekend.

He was chatting up pretty girl for a while, and things looked promising, until he said to her "By the way, have you just had your tongue pierced, cos you talk funny?

She says "I'm deaf you bastard" slaps him and empties his Stella over his head, then tells the bouncer who chucks him out!

Thats a bit harsh. Where was he?

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Starry said:
He's eight, going on eighteen.

Hey you've got one of those as well! Great arent they?!! Thing is though once they get to eighteen they will be going on eight!! :rolleyes:

:lolol:

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Race said:
Hey you've got one of those as well! Great arent they?!! Thing is though once they get to eighteen they will be going on eight!! :rolleyes:

No kidding! :lol:

He's decided that it's just not cool to have his mum bring him into school anymore, I have to stand at the end of the pathway and watch him go in alone, just incase I embaress him!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Use of such words says more about the user than the recipient. At least you know what sort of person you are dealing with, when they show how little respect they have for those less fortunate.

Lawro's Lip

Feb 14, 2004
West Kent
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Race said:

God, that is so true!:lolol:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
dougdeep said:
Use of such words says more about the user than the recipient. At least you know what sort of person you are dealing with, when they show how little respect they have for those less fortunate.

I agree 100%

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
dougdeep said:

Spot on Douglas, well said.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Re: Re: Re: That Word "SPASTIC"

Bozza said:
If she exhibits any more Bristolian traits drastic steps will have to be taken.

Does that mean she is getting a Burberry tattoo and a crate of Diamond White for Christmas?

the full harris

Feb 14, 2004
dougdeep said:

That is probably the most self righteous sentence I have ever read.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
bhaexpress said:
Sorry BOF, I don't think of people with your condition as either deffective or flawed. I admire your bravery though.

I'm not brave. It could be far worse. I could be blind, missing a leg, horrifically burnt, wheelchair bound. Those are the brave ones, when life is massively affected by their condition.

Hiney

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Penrose, Cornwall
For those of us who went to school in the late 60s and early 70s, the word 'spastic' was the playground insult of choice. The PC brigade were not around to tell us how terrible it was to make fun out of people with cerebral palsy and we just carried on, blissfully unaware that any offence could be taken by telling someone to 'f*** OFF YOU SPASTIC".

These days the world is a very different place and if I heard my children calling anyone a spastic/spacker etc. etc. I would be very angry. But I still use the word now and again and as The Full Harris points out, have done so on this board.

If this offends anyone then I am very sorry but I use the word in the same way I would use the word wanker, twat or any other derogatory term.

Before anyone jumps on me for being an insensitive bastard, I am fully aware of what life with a disability is like. My ex-wife is disabled and probably won't be around to see our son get married or even graduate from University.

It's easy to pontificate from behind your keyboard and I'm as bad as anyone from time to time but just because I use the word spastic as a throw-away insult to someone, it doesn't mean to say I lack respect for people with disabilities.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I stuck this on the other thread but I think it's probably more at home here;

It's difficult to judge context on a messageboard isn't it? NMH defended his posts on NSP by saying they were an experimental wind-up. I don't believe him but that doesn't mean it's not true. The term Spastic was once just a descriptive term for a medical condition but then, like so many other terms, became associated with name-calling out of context abuse. I don't find the term offensive but I can see why other people might. I saw the League of Gentlemen live show recently and they used a bit of the Charity Shop ladies sketch that had the lines "have we got any gold stars dear?"..."no dear, we gave them all to the Spastics" and the whole of the Brighton Centre wet themselves laughing. I guess it was funny to most people because the context is seen as a black comedy swipe at political correctness. I guess Richie being called a Spastic is funny to some people for similar reasons. At least Harris had the decency to apologise and BAG the decency to admit that her taking offense depends on who says it and how.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here