Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton and Wrexham's fates intertwined

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
.... by the calendar

It now seems ironic that within the next 12 days both Wrexham and Brighton's fates could be decided. Both clubs could survive and prosper and equally we could both die ....

During that time frame we will find out whether or not we have got the go-ahead for Falmer ... without it the "brain drain" of good players will reach warp factor and as DK and MP have so often hinted, we could be dead within 4 years.

During the same time frame Wrexham fans and the club's administrators will receive the judgement from Court of their case against their bastard ground owner Alex Hamilton (this is a case to get Hamilton's eviction clause for the club overturned). The case was heard yesterday and judgement is expected next week. If they fail, Hamilton will move in the bulldozers and begin demolishing the Racecourse. Wrexham would cease the exist - probably before the end of the season.

It seems quite ironic that given everything between our clubs and our supporters, that the calendar has consipired so we both know our fates at almost the same time.

Last edited:

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Good luck to them. Must admit not been following this for a while, but they deserve a break.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
Goring Gull said:
They should be in the Welsh league anyway.

A bit harsh, but this is about having a club to watch, not what league they are in. I am sure most Wrexham fans whould take being in the welsh league if it meant they had a club to follow.

On the Left Wing

KIT NAPIER
Oct 9, 2003
Wolverhampton
Wardywonderland said:
A bit harsh, but this is about having a club to watch, not what league they are in. I am sure most Wrexham fans whould take being in the welsh league if it meant they had a club to follow.

Their problem is that without a ground they would not even be allowed in the Welsh League ... these guys have given our Falmer campaign masive support (remember their televised FA cup match where they flooded the pitch with blue and white balloons and a massive Wrexham 4 Falmer banner?)

As always I wish them luck and solidarity .... and the answer the question they are not as confident as we are, but there is still hope.

The irony continues as OUR fate now hangs on a fat North Wales born MP (who supported Wrexham as a child) while Wrexham's fate is in the hands of a bewigged Sussex born judge!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
All the best to Wrexham

Talking of which, OTLW, German Shepherd (Cardiff fan at the LDV final) is meeting us at lunchtime today.

Wardywonderland said:
The League of Wales isn't a route back into the Football League, though.

When Newport County went out of business, lost their ground, and then managed to re-establish themselves (with a groundshare at Moreton-in-Marsh in Gloucestershire), they joined what was then the Federated Homes League, to work their way through the Doc Martens League to where they are now (Conference South). They've now got a new stadium in Newport and are about ready to push onwards and upwards.

Or they would be if they didn't keep losing to the likes of Lewes and Eastbourne Borough.

It's a long haul back.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Maybe i was a tad hasty, I'm sure the fans want a football club and what has gone on is disgraceful - I think it's down to atime i got stuck in Wrexham for a day - seemed like an awful place. May just have been the situation i was in thoughg, and it was freezing cold and raining.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
A little harsh saying that Wrexham should be in the Welsh League, a bit like saying that the Albion should be in the Sussex County League.

It doesn't bear thinking about what might happen to either club if the decisions go against them, the only possible outcome is the cuckoo effect (we have already done this to some extent at Withdean). That is to say that the club moves in with someone else, even if it meant dropping down a couple of levels, in the hope that they would expand and build on what they have, the smaller club may eventually be forced out to play elsewhere. Whilst this is not desirable as it would mean a smaller team failing at the expense of your own it is still a distinct possibility.

Gully said:
A little harsh saying that Wrexham should be in the Welsh League, a bit like saying that the Albion should be in the Sussex County League.

It doesn't bear thinking about what might happen to either club if the decisions go against them, the only possible outcome is the cuckoo effect (we have already done this to some extent at Withdean). That is to say that the club moves in with someone else, even if it meant dropping down a couple of levels, in the hope that they would expand and build on what they have, the smaller club may eventually be forced out to play elsewhere. Whilst this is not desirable as it would mean a smaller team failing at the expense of your own it is still a distinct possibility.
And that's a little harsh on the Albion.

Withdean 2000 made an attempt to play the role of victim. But in no way were they the same football club as the old Withdean FC, who managed to go out of business on their own account, not as a result of the Albion moving into their gaff.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Point taken LB, unfortunately I have lived away from Sussex for many years, my knowledge of local issues (footy and otherwise) is somewhat shady at best.

In any case we have made improvements by way of a permanent stand at Withdean that will remain long after we have moved elsewhere, surely that is something to be proud of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here