Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

remf in NYC

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
I'm travelling to New York later next week and had a few questions for those in the know.

I know that Los Peladitos are in Queens, but where exactly, and do they play regularly (ie. is it possible to see them when i'm there)

Is there still a memorial to robert (and other brits, etc) as I know at the time they were talking of leaving memorials that were left (including the stripes) as a permanent reminder.

Many thanks

Raph.

i thought i heard on the radio yesterday during the coverage that all the memorials have now been removed (weather damage and general decay setting in,was the reason I think)

this is from the online version of the new york times......

Youth Soccer Team Receives
Grants Thanks to 9/11 Victim

Los Peladitos have new uniforms which honor Robert Eaton and the Albion Sea Gulls, the English professional soccer club that he adored.

by Rob MacKay
Every cloud has a silver lining. Following the tragedy of last September 11’s terrorist attack, an alliance has been formed between one of the premiere professional soccer teams in England and a largely Latino Queens club that competes in the Big Apple Youth Soccer League.
Los Peladitos, who play home games in Flushing Meadows-Corona Park, have new uniforms and $32,000 in their coffers, thanks to Robert Eaton, a Brit who worked at the World Trade Center and spent much free time watching, playing or talking about soccer before his untimely death at age 37.
“The uniforms are awesome,” said Rafael Marcelo Jara, who lives in Elmhurst and plays on the under-16 team. “Now we have to honor him by playing well.”
A native of Sussex on England’s southern coast, Eaton was an avid fan of the Brighton & Hove Albion professional soccer team. He moved to New York and got a job as a merchant banker with Cantor Fitzgerald, but he frequently traveled back to England to watch his beloved team play. He was also a constant presence on Albion’s Internet chat room, North Stand Chat, even participating in a discussion the night before his death.

With a large impulse from people who only knew Eaton through the chat room, a series of memorials were organized in his honor. Beyond the thousands of cyber-tributes, a 64’by32’ flag was displayed behind the west stand at Withdean Stadium, where the Albion Seagulls play their home games.
Fans and friends in the U.S. established a makeshift memorial in Manhattan’s Union Square. Among the 120 items placed there was an Albion jersey with Eaton’s name on the back.
Then the Robert Eaton Memorial Fund was created to immortalize the man and the sport he loved. Through personal donations, memorabilia auctions and charity games involving Albion and other English teams, the fund was able to raise enough money to give Los Peladitos $32,000 over the next two years.
More money will come depending on the success of future fund-raisers.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
great, thanks storer.

i'll look into it some more and see if the seasons started/there at home next week.

it'd be a good way to get my weekly football fix!

The Union Square collection of tributes has been preserved. I gather the intention is to organise a permanent display. But - as far as I know - there's still a public debate going on about the form this should take.

Try asking at City Hall.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here