Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shoreham cement works

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
BRIGHT ON Q said:
I think a fair few new grounds which have e been built have had to have new road access.This site is massive and could have so much more than a stadium without any opposition.Why couldnt they put a tram link to it?.I am sure there would have been so much interest from other parties to help re develop this site.As far as demolishing it goes ,There are always demolition programs on sky following a team of experts.I expect sky would have paid for the privilege.

Adur Council have already said NO to re-opening the train link, if you go private and want a tram link that would cost millions and be a complete waste of money & time. Whilst the Cement Works is indeed a decent site the cost/location/lack of decent transport links throw it out into the deep ocean to be eaten by Jaws' nephew Gums!

The Cement site is best for a large indoor snowdome....but that got kicked out too :(

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
BRIGHT ON Q said:
Straight out the Martin Perry text book that.

Well I must be psychic then because I havent read it.

Dont dismiss someone's opinion just because it happens to agree with the club.

My cousin was asked by West Sussex council to do a feasiblity study quite a while ago.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
"IT AINT IN BRIGHTON OR HOVE.IT'S NOT EVEN IN EAST SUSSEX"
quoted by northstandnorth
What is so good about EAST SUSSEX?
Apart from the fact that it is full of social miscreants.
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Last edited:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Anyway, it's too far from Seaford.

northstandnorth

THE GOLDSTONE
Oct 13, 2003
A272 at 85 mph
SORRY
didn't want to upset our yokel neighbours but......

brighton and hove albion(born in east sussex)how can you call the club that if it aint in brighton/hove/(or even in temporary residence in gillingham)if you move it out of the county of its birth permanantly

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
When the Albion was born there was no East /West Sussex. We were all just Sussex.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
More inbred country yokels in east Sussex than WEST Sussex.
Generally the west side of any city/county/town in this country is more upmarket than the east side.
eg WEST end of LONDON; EAST end of LONDON.
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

Jul 5, 2003
BN11
northstandnorth said:
SORRY
didn't want to upset our yokel neighbours but......

brighton and hove albion(born in east sussex)how can you call the club that if it aint in brighton/hove/(or even in temporary residence in gillingham)if you move it out of the county of its birth permanantly

MK Seagulls anyone? :jester:

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
:jester:

Damn! There I was thinking I could go by boat!

Any more for the Skylark?

Only 1 F in Falmer :clap:

ShorehamGull

He's now back
Jul 6, 2003
Shoreham of course
The reason that the Upper Beeding Cement works is not an option is mainly because of costs which are out of the clubs financial reach.
1) Cost of land,
2) Cost of clearance,
3) Safety costs,
4) Transport costs for road and rail.
Nearest station at the moment is Shoreham, so a new line would have to be put in, which the rail companies would not allow to be done.
Road system in the area would need changing to accommadate heavy traffic on the A273 and the Shoreham flyover,
5) It's also outside the area of Brighton and Hove and would not comply with the football leagues requirements.
6) Plus there is the Adur river to consider in the area as well of which I believe is an AONB.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
ShorehamGull said:

5) It's also outside the area of Brighton and Hove and would not comply with the football leagues requirements.

I've heard that this is not true as we dont have another professional club anywhere near us so our conurbtion area is wider. If that was the case then it would'nt even be in the last inquiry along with Shoreham Airport...but they both are.

dougdeep said:
When the Albion was born there was no East /West Sussex. We were all just Sussex.
Not so, dougdeep.

Ever since the introduction of county government (in the 1880s), there have been separate East Sussex and West Sussex authorities.

Sussex hasn't been a single administrative unit since 688, when King Cædwalla of Wessex conquered us.

The Football League requirements are a slight red herring. The requirement to return to a stadium within a certain distance of the Royal Pavilion was a condition of us playing temporarily at Gillingham.

However, Prescott has said that it is relevant to the current Inquiry that a new stadium should be within the conurbation of Brighton & Hove. Upper Beeding cement works plainly isn't. In fact, most of the site is not even in the neighbouring local authority's area - it's in Horsham District.

Transport is completely impractical, since the road to Upper Beeding doesn't have the capacity to get people there by car and there is no way that a public transport alternative could be provided.

Last edited:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
The Football League requirements are a slight red herring. The requirement to return to a stadium within a certain distance of the Royal Pavilion was a condition of us playing temporarily at Gillingham.

However, Prescott has said that it is relevant to the current Inquiry that a new stadium should be within the conurbation of Brighton & Hove. Upper Beeding cement works plainly isn't. In fact, most of the site is not even in the neighbouring local authority's area - it's in Horsham District.

Transport is completely impractical, since the road to Upper Beeding doesn't have the capacity to get people there by car and there is no way that a public transport alternative could be provided.

But other than that it's perfect...

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
dougdeep said:

If SEERA have their way, Sussex will be abolished altogether as a planning strategy and from 2007 the Structure Plan will become invalid, and it will be in the coastal sub-region and anything can happen.

After the cement works have been dynamited and the asbestos covered up who knows what will happen? Nothing probably.

The roads are too bad for it even to be used as a site for landfill site or incinerator. It would be OK for me, but it is miles too far out in travel time to be even considered.

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
perseus said:
If SEERA have their way, Sussex will be abolished altogether as a planning strategy and from 2007 the Structure Plan will become invalid, and it will be in the coastal sub-region and anything can happen.
I doubt they will though. Regionalism is dead after the NE referendum. Long live city regions.....like Brighton & Hove for example.

saintSeagull

Aug 13, 2003
I have lived close to the cement works for many years and I consider it probably the second best site.

There can be no environmental impacts on (but not leading to) this site: There was a bloody masive factory for there for years and freight trains rumbling up and down to it. Anyway, a stadium would be entirely hidden from the view along the Downs. Not only that the site is massive.

The down side is the access really. But then it is withing 2 miles of what is effectively a motorway. It is such a shame as a railway used to run right past it. I think cost and a missing bridge make re-building this unrealistic. But surely, there is park and ride now at Withdean. Can't this run form Shoreham Station. In any case such a big site could accomodate hundreds? of coaches.and carparking. And we are only talking a few hours each week. Look, Falmer has better access but I believe that it could possibly work at the cement works.

In terms of being outside Brighton, we are talking 8 miles or so and it is only just outside the Brighton conurbation. Its not like it would be franchise football.

I believe that Falmer is the best choice as it is closer to the centre of Brighton and also because of the train station next door, but it isn't the only option, just the best one.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
he he some peope are funny - knowing full well that we can't afford an alladins lamp to rub and ask a striker for - they think we can afford millions to put a train line in to the cement works!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Screaming J said:
I doubt they will though. Regionalism is dead after the NE referendum. Long live city regions.....like Brighton & Hove for example.

Strategic planning change is already decided by Prescott's office. From 2007, strategic planning will no longer be undertaken by Sussex or the Brighton & Hove region, although the Local Plan will still apply and a new one will be drawn up.

This is what the opponents to Falmer know and I didn't. The whole protection for sites at Shoreham Harbour, Shoreham Cement Works, and Shoreham Airport (no protection there anyway) is being wiped away all at one go by the regionalistion of planning strategy.

It still doesn't make Shoreham Cement Works AONB National Park and Shoreham Harbour a good idea because of the huge cost involved. All you need to know is that single-lane carriagways cost £2 million + a kilometre and railway stations cost £5 million and the developer pays the whole lot.

PS: Public have until 15 April 2005 to make their representations in the first important instance.

If the harbour communities people are up to scratch, they will try and bring the regional plan in line with the West Sussex County Council Structure Plan and have a strategy for the harbour use for port-related businesses and industry to protect existing businesses and employment.

As for Shoreham International Airport, it is not going to happen and it is not even mentioned as part of the regional strategy for air transport for the south-east.

Shoreham Cement Works will presumably be in the Horsham District Local Plan. The small road is unlikely to be in any plans for road improvements and nobody is even suggesting the possibility. This is a complete dead duck.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here