Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Official Championship Manager 4 Thread

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
A nice new thread for the new board

I reccomend you download this. It's the most recent Enhancement Pack. The game runs a lot better with it.

Links:
CM Skins / Backgrounds / Wallpapers - Highly reccomended

SI Games - Good forums

Albion Background Images:
Albion 1 (Fans)
Albion 2 (Withdean)
Albion 3 (Trophy)
Albion 4 (Goldstone)
Albion 5 (Stooooooooooooorer)

Shortcut Keys:

alt + <-- previous screen
alt + --> next screen
pg up previous screen
pg dn next screen
space continue game / read unread news (when on news screen)

ctl+c copy
ctl+v paste
ctl+x cut
ctl+z undo
ctl+sh+z redo (mac standard)
ctl+y redo
ctl+a select all

sh+insert paste
ctl+insert copy
sh+delete cut

ctl+q quit
ctl+s save
ctl+sh+s save as

TAB advance selection to next edit box

ctl+f fullscreen
alt+return fullscreen
F1 your squad
F2 your staff
F3 your finances
F4 your fixtures
F5 your transfers
F6 news
F7 default competition that you are in
F8 player/staff search
F9 manager chat
F10 game status
F11 training
F12 Quick Search

[NEWS]

up/down next/prev message

[DIALOGS]

return default button
esc cancel

[MENUS]

return choose selected item
esc cancel
up move selection up
down move selection down
pg up/dn move selection by page
home move selection to first item
end move selection to last item

CM4 Background Pictures F.A.Q.

All Quotes are references from Marc Vaughan's hints n tips download.

Pictures

The game recognises a number of image formats, including .gif, .jpg, .png, and .rgn. However, a current limitation is that only .jpg files can be resized.

For this reason, any background images used must be in the jpeg format.

Background images are automatically stretched or shrunk to fit the current size of the window, which is 1024 x 768 in full screen mode. If you resize the window, or if you use images that are not 1024 x 768, the stretching may make them appear distorted or blurred.

To resize your pictures try ‘IrfanView’ from download.com

How the Game Locates A Picture

When you enter a screen, the game looks for a background or titlebar picture to use in a number of places.

For player screens, the game looks first for a file with the name of the player, in the following locations:

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/players/
cm4/data/graphics/pictures/players/

e.g: "cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/players/richard langley.jpg"

Similarly, for club screens the game looks for a file with the name of the team in:

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/clubs/
cm4/data/graphics/pictures/clubs/

e.g: "cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/clubs/arsenal.jpg"
And for match screens, the game looks for a file with the name of the stadium that the match is being played at in:

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/stadiums/
cm4/data/graphics/pictures/stadiums/

e.g: "cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/stadiums/loftus road.jpg"

If the above searches for pictures don't succeed, the game proceeds to look for a file with the name of the screen in:

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/screens/
cm4/data/graphics/pictures/screens/

e.g: "cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/screens/credits.jpg"

Finally, if a picture can't be found in any of the above locations, a default picture is used.

Default Pictures

By default, CM4 will show a random background picture whenever you enter a new screen (if background changes are turned on), or will show a single default background (if changes are turned off).

It will also display the CM4 or SI logo at the top-right hand corner of the screen (this is referred to as the titlebar picture, although some skins may display the picture in another place on the screen).

These default pictures are stored inside the CM4 application folder, at the following locations:

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/default/default.jpg
cm4/data/graphics/pictures/default/default.png

If background changes are turned on, CM4 will cycle randomly through the background pictures in the folder

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/default/

So from this we know that the following can have pictures assigned to them:

- Clubs
- Players
- Stadiums
- Screens

Clubs
cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/clubs/

Create a new folder. Call it the name of the club you which to match pictures with. E.G. Gillingham

Put pictures in this folder and they'll show when you are viewing this club within the game.

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/default/

This is where you should put any pictures that are not related to clubs, players, stadiums or ‘screens’. Or pictures that are but you would like to see more often in the game.

Players
cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/players/

To assign pictures to players create a folder, named after the player, in the above directory. Player names must be in full. Also please note you can assign pictures to managers, coaches etc.

Using IDs instead of Names

The problem with names is that
a) they can be too long for the game (currently the limit is 26 characters)
b) they can be ambiguous - e.g. there is more than one Danny Murphy
c) they can change if you switch languages

Luckily, each object in the game has a unique number assigned to it - known as its ID. Since every player has a different ID, there can be no confusion about which player an ID refers to.

To make use of this feature, you can name the picture file for an object using its ID instead of its name, and CM4 will still find it. So for example, if you name a background picture:

cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/players/5106680.jpg

it will get displayed whenever you view the Danny Murphy who plays for QPR, but it won't get displayed when you view the one who plays for some scouse team (so I hear).

So how do you find out what ID a particular game object has? In a future version of the game we will provide a special mode to allow you to do this easily and also make some special ID index files available online.

Stadiums
cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/stadiums/

Create a new folder. Call it the name of the stadium you which to match pictures with. E.G. Priestfield

Put pictures inside this folder and in the general stadiums folder. I say 'and' because this is how the pictures already in game are used and I presume you should do it this way. I have and it works.

Screens
cm4/data/graphics/backgrounds/screens/

This folder allows you to assign pictures to certain areas of the game such as: credits; Manager chat.

Marc’s guide suggests naming pictures after the screen will work. So ‘credits.jpg’ for example. I know some people have been working on this and I’ll update the F.A.Q. when I understand it better.

Q. I can only see the default background picture (the goalkeeper).

A.

Make sure that you have enabled ‘background changes’ in your game preferences.

Make sure you have the ‘enhancement pack’ installed.

Make sure that any ‘created folders’ are spelt correctly.

Still not working?

Uninstall the game – you won’t lose any saved games.

Reinstall the game and reinstall the enhancement pack.

Q. I’ve just added my own folders/pictures. However the game won’t load!

A. If a folder isn’t named correctly it may stop the game loading. Check your folders are named correctly (i.e. How the game spells the club, stadium or person). CM4 has a 26 character limit. Some folders such as: ‘The Kingfield Sports Ground’ are to long. Shorten these folders to the clubs, stadiums or persons short name. So ‘The Kingfield’ for example.

Q. When I return to the match screen after the game has been played I can’t see the stadium picture.

A. You’re doing nothing the wrong. This is how the game has been created by SI. It’s hardly a major drama though – is it?

Images can be found at:
www.cmskins.com
www.footballgroundz.co.uk
http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsPhotoGallery.jhtml?type=footballNewsUK
www.eurostadiums.com
www.groundhopping.de
http://www.stadionwelt.de
http://217.158.5.3/

So... Howz everybody doing?

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I also signed Petit,Haaland,Xavier,Paul Williams,Hadji,Flitcroft,Horlock,Dickov,Job,Ostenstad, and others.
strangely after that I went into administration:lol:

Beefy

Jul 5, 2003
bed
Trigger said:
Is it just me that still prefers CM3 then? :eek:

Nope,i'm still playing CM 01-02 despite owning the CM4(which is too slow on my computer).

And if anyones ever signed 13 year old wonderkid Freddy Adu on the new one he's playing tonight against England under 17's on Sky Sports.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Tactics

Can ANYONE give me a clue as to decent tactics for Albion... can't seem to do well at all without cheating! The best so far is 4-121-2.. (diamond formation).. but even that's not great...

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Re: Tactics

Jam The Man said:
Can ANYONE give me a clue as to decent tactics for Albion... can't seem to do well at all without cheating! The best so far is 4-121-2.. (diamond formation).. but even that's not great...

I always use 4-4-2.

They key however is to base it around your 11 best players. Then fine tune the tactics to suit there qualities. Such as crossing, long shots, through balls.

Also have a formation to switch to when you're winning. I change to 4-1-4-1. Make the defenders play long ball, keeper distribute to defender. Hold up/run with ball to kill off the game.

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
Trigger said:
Is it just me that still prefers CM3 then? :eek:

Nope, me too. Never got into CM4 despite spending £35 on it, haven't played more than a season on it, haven't tried the new "Enhancement Pack" but chances are it brings more problems than it solved, as before. CM3 for ever!

Benny Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
London
anyone else heard of this moses bloke for millwall who is the best player in the game? striker and no matter if he scores, he will get man of the match every time and a rating of 10 as average. turkey you seen this??

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
Good players for the Albion

Lee Miller - Falkirk
Sean Cooney - Coventry
Steve Blatherwick - Cheaterfield
Tijjani Babangida - Free
Lee Grant - Derby
Leo Fortune-West - Bardiff
Thomas Pinault - Colchester
Darren Caskey - Notts County
Jay Bothroyd - Coventry
Ibrahim Said - al alhy
Danny Gabbidon - Cardiff
Ivan Bosnjak
Mark Kerr
Ibrahim Sonko
Daniel Nardiello
Tijani Babangida
Ivan Bosnjak F R/C - Tripoli (100k)
Johann Porhallsson F L/C - Por (65k)
Jonathan Tuffey GK - Coventry (130k Compensation)
Stephen Hughes free
Ivan Hurtado free
Mark Kerr 50k
Patrick McCourt 12k
Fotheringham 14k
Freddy Adu free

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Benny Seagull said:
anyone else heard of this moses bloke for millwall who is the best player in the game? striker and no matter if he scores, he will get man of the match every time and a rating of 10 as average. turkey you seen this??

Moses Ashikido. Put him on intensive training.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Are they gonna be doing a data patch at the start of the seaosn afte rall the transfers have gone on.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here