Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Is this Groundhog Day?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Surely not again?

Red cards every other week, new injuries to Jimmy Mac each time he is ready to come back, coach crashes.......it's like Groundhog Season.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Who Started Groundhog Day?
# Gobblers Knob near Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, the site of the first official Groundhog Day, each year attracts up to 40,000 onlookers eager to find out when spring will arrive. Among Pennsylvania's earliest settlers were the Germans, sometimes erroneously called the Pennsylvania Dutch, a corruption of the original Pennsylvania ¨Deutsch¨ (German). They brought with them the traditional celebration of Candlemas Day on February 2 and a belief summed up in a popular saying: ¨For as the sun shines on Candlemas day, so far will the snow swirl in May . . . .¨ For a prognosticator of spring's arrival, these early settlers chose the groundhog, a rodent widely distributed throughout the areas of Pennsylvania that they had settled. The traditional belief was thus tweaked just a bit to state that winter would hang around awhile if a groundhog emerging from its burrow on Candlemas Day saw its shadow. No shadow? Spring is almost here!

Who -- or What -- Is Punxsutawney Phil?
# Pennsylvania German folklore associated with Candlemas Day -- February 2 -- provides the basis for the Groundhog Day tradition. According to the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club, generally credited for holding the first official Groundhog Day celebration, the annual forecast of spring's arrival is delivered by Punxsutawney Phil, a long-lived groundhog said to be the same one consulted back in 1887. This particular groundhog, they say, owes its longevity to a magical punch it drinks each summer at Punxsutawney's Annual Groundhog Picnic. Each sip of the punch -- the recipe is a closely guarded secret -- gives Phil another seven years of life.

According to tradition, Phil delivers his prognostication in ¨groundhogese¨ to the president of the Punxsutawney Groundhog Club's Inner Circle, the dignified gents in top hats who preside over the annual observance at Gobblers Knob. The president then translates the prediction and passes it along to the Inner Circle's vice president who chooses either the official scroll declaring the imminent arrival of spring or the other that declares winter will be around for at least another six weeks.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Is this Groundhog Day?
Every time the adverts come on it's 'Who Killed the F*ing Zutons', I'm not buying it on principle.

me either

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
In all seriousness, it's nearly 22 years since the film was released. How time flies.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Well, bollocks to the ****ing lot of you. Binfest your arse off for all I care.

I am sick to the back teeth of lies an innuendos being written about me on here. I haven't given anyone nearly enough information about me or what I 'know' or 'don't know', so who the **** are people to think they can?

The one that really does my head in is when Bloom took over and some idiot wrote 'I bet TLO is gutted now we've got a new chairman'. What a ****ing spanner.

Bollocks to NSC. Bollocks to REMF. Bollocks to the ****ing lot of you.

It's all ****ing SHIT. TLO is flouncing and I'm out of here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here