Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

TWO MORE SITES added to the list of alternatives to Falmer

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I'm not 100% up on this. I've read the thread through but I have a question. If all of Perseus' stuff is as totally and utterly mad as it looks, how did it get from that god awful website to an actual person with a brain saying "this MUST be considered".

How did it make it that far up the chain?

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I love the idea that "oh there's load of space so we have have X and Y on there as well" without seemingly ANY thought as to if anyone would use it.

"During the summer, concerts are held every week." Wow.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm not 100% up on this. I've read the thread through but I have a question. If all of Perseus' stuff is as totally and utterly mad as it looks, how did it get from that god awful website to an actual person with a brain saying "this MUST be considered".

Well yes. Like I said about the cement works, that was something that could have been rejected in five minutes. The Pende proposal could have been rejected in 10 minutes.

I really don't understand how anyone with half a brain could have considered either

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Very little feedback over the plans.

1) Some people thought Pende would cost too much, but on examination it was clear that they did not know anything about building costs so no extra light could be placed on this.

2) Criticism that it would turn the site into a gigantic car park which is the standard objection to supermarkets. It is envisaged that all tarmaced parks would have a dual use, for the business park during the week, and the rest of the parking would be grassland that would be public open space for most of the time.

3) In favour was the simple equation based on previous experience that people could not see the wood for the trees over Falmer, and that simply the Village Way North site on its own was simply too small and that the Albion were trying to fit a quart into a pint pot.

4) Greatest number of thoughts related to the opposition of the expansion of the airport and lots of people expressed the opinion that a football stadium was a better bet and that football pitches was a good bet any way.

5) From Albion fans there was a very serious split, with those living in Brighton (40% of fans) generally opposed, those living on the coastal bit (35%) generally in favour, and those living inland Sussex (25%) mostly in favour but also favouring other inland sites.
However, the same split could be identified over the Brighton politicians, Evening Argus and Brighton Council."

That site is GOLD

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Well yes. Like I said about the cement works, that was something that could have been rejected in five minutes. The Pende proposal could have been rejected in 10 minutes.

I really don't understand how anyone with half a brain could have considered either

"[FONT=Arial,Helvetica][SIZE=-1]Police surveillance for crowd control on the approaches is by police helicopter from the adjacent airfield, and by policeman on horseback from the adjacent horse paddocks."[/SIZE][/FONT]
But this is like reading something an 11 year old would write for their geography project. It's like he's painting a mental picture for us all to be fully immersed in this wondrous vision. Mental being the operative word.

Not that he helped matters, but wouldn't this site have been brought up in the enquiry regardless of this?

Otherwise, my GCSE Geography project titled "What site is the best new home for Brighton and Hove Albion" could have had more sway than I initially thought! :ohmy:
(I'm not joking, that was actually what I did)

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Outside of PersuesWorld, I don't think anyone seriously ever did.

But the tactics at the time for LDC and FPC was to delay delay delay, for as long as possible, and throw up every spurious obstacle they could along the way, in the hope that the club would fold during the process. There was an obligation to at least investigate other sites to prove they were inferior to Falmer, no matter how pie-in-the-sky, unsuitable or hairbrained. Anyone with an ounce of common sense, a pen and the back of an envelope could dismiss Pende and Upper Beeding within 2 minutes flat, but with the bureaucratic planning laws being what they are, a case still had to be made spelling out the flaws.

Incredible really.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Lewes and Falmer Parish Council knew that we were struggling for money. They thought that any delay in getting a stadium would cause us to go out of business. So they jumped on any trivial detail to cause more and more delays. Perseus gave them a gift wrapped reason. Not forgetting the £30K we had to spend on each extra survey to be presented at the public enquiry, just so that we could say, this is nonsense. Lewes & FPC were using tax payers money.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
2.3 miles in fact so nearer 2 than 3. And it would have been relatively easy to make the road 4 lane from the A27 as there are no buildings on that stretch and room either side for the additional lane. I'm not suggesting it was a viable option, but correct facts are vital.

Yes, the correct facts are vital. It was not viable because of the cost, Do you understand that? That is just the costs of improving the transport infrastructure to get it to a level of less than half that was already pre-existing at Falmer. And then maintaining the private branch line you've just created. You haven't even mentioned the costs of clearing the site, although I'm sure in your world clearing up a vast contaminated industrial site would have been 'easy'.

It's incredible that even in retrospect when we knew it was just a bit of mischief-making by our opponents you're still trying to make a case for it. No wonder it took so long to get Falmer.

Actually I think you're Melanie Cutress and I claim my five pounds.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

That's the point though - no one with half a brain did.

All that was needed for Falmer to be turned down by the Public Inquiry was for a case to be made that an alternative site might exist. That wouldn't, of course mean that the Club would get planning permission for the alternative site. What would be needed would have been a very long, drawn-out new process that included negotiations to take over ownership of the alternative site, followed by the preparation and submission of a detailed planning application, including all of the usual background stuff like transport impact assessments, environmental assessments, bat surveys, etc etc etc - and a risk, of course, that a further public inquiry might be needed. At least two years work, possibly more. And huge expense for a football club that would teeter even closer towards bankruptcy in the meantime.

If Horton had had his way, the Club simply wouldn't have survived.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is the bit I like best:

(Falmer has now been chosed as the venue for the Football Stadium and building has commenced)

Christ on a bike. :facepalm:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All that was needed for Falmer to be turned down by the Public Inquiry was for a case to be made that an alternative site might exist. That wouldn't, of course mean that the Club would get planning permission for the alternative site. What would be needed would have been a very long, drawn-out new process that included negotiations to take over ownership of the alternative site, followed by the preparation and submission of a detailed planning application, including all of the usual background stuff like transport impact assessments, environmental assessments, bat surveys, etc etc etc - and a risk, of course, that a further public inquiry might be needed. At least two years work, possibly more. And huge expense for a football club that would teeter even closer towards bankruptcy in the meantime.

If Horton had had his way, the Club simply wouldn't have survived.

But the Pende idea was totally deranged - it shouldn't have come close to consideration.

Supposing I'd come up with an idea for a football stadium to be build on a floating island between the piers, with wind-powered floodlights and where spectators were transported on wooden boats towed by tame dolphins. If I put it on a website, would that have been considered as an alternative site? Even though it looked like a plan conceived by someone suffering from the after effects of Dr Ganja's herbal medicine?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
But the Pende idea was totally deranged - it shouldn't have come close to consideration.

Supposing I'd come up with an idea for a football stadium to be build on a floating island between the piers, with wind-powered floodlights and where spectators were transported on wooden boats towed by tame dolphins. If I put it on a website, would that have been considered as an alternative site? Even though it looked like a plan conceived by someone suffering from the after effects of Dr Ganja's herbal medicine?
If you had thrown in an Ann Summers, Speedway stadium, Cricket Stadium and capacity for a club twice the size of Man U, they might have considered it.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
the saloon bar in relaxed surroundings at premium costs

So this is where Barber got the Seven Stars idea.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Story of my life. Always been held back by my lack of ambition
I bet you didn't even think about an Oceanarium or Olympic size pool, did you? Lightweight. For the love of God, think of the children of Pende when you make your plans. How can they grow up without easy access to a teddy or crotchless pants to go swimming in?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here