Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Each Premier League clubs worst signings - Daily Mail

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Confusing criteria judging by the Albion / Palace examples in the OP.

Is it the clubs' "worst player signed" (Best wasn't very good / effective) or "worst ever signing". For the latter transfer fee, dressing room disruption, cost of wages, etc all come into play.

If Mutch cost £8m or so in fees and wages, and contributed little, then he's clearly a candidate for "worst ever signing" but there's no way he is their "worst player signed" - there will be scores of worse players in their fairly recent Championship history. yet the choice of Best seems based on an entirely different criteria - apart from being rubbish, he wasn't a truly bad signing - he cost us pennies and was only here for ten minutes.

As already said it's the Mail Online along with misogyny, body shaming, sexism, Princess Diana, mortgages & the weather 'confusing' is their middle name.

As for bringing it to the masses, again I said I wouldn't have bothered but for the palace deal.
Even then I still highlighted what I believed to be the 'good' bit.
That being the fact they were still paying, dare I say, a considerable wage to a player who played 40 games, didn't score and hasn't played for 2 (two) years. :lol:

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Kemy was indeed an utter disaster at this club (hopefully not too expensive, mind). This little Twitter exchange I saw the other week was quite interesting though:

[tweet]1083063016822845440[/tweet]
[tweet]1083067038132830209[/tweet]
[tweet]1083071378012733442[/tweet]

Fat and unadaptable would be the unkind way of looking at it then. His passing never looked good enough to be a holding midfielder either anyway IMO, but if he was being asked to play out of what he considered to be his normal position, then its not overly surprising he was shithouse.

My mind translated all that to: I couldn't be f**ked to put a shift in and learn the system that the team plays in

EDIT: How have I ended up getting that inside the embed? Madness.

EDIT TWO: Good grief that is a proper mess now.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Kemy was indeed an utter disaster at this club (hopefully not too expensive, mind). This little Twitter exchange I saw the other week was quite interesting though:

Fat and unadaptable would be the unkind way of looking at it then. His passing never looked good enough to be a holding midfielder either anyway IMO, but if he was being asked to play out of what he considered to be his normal position, then its not overly surprising he was shithouse.

His Twitter comments seem to suggest 'It didn't work out because their system required a professional athlete who would be expected to move about, not someone who's a cross between Jan Molby and an oil tanker crewed by sloths.'

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
Best probably wasn't the actual worst but we signed him really not that long after the likes of Vicente, Wayne Bridge, Ulloa were around. I found it deeply depressing that we had become so uncritical in the transfer market, especially with loans. The alarm bells started under Garcia, when the aforementioned stars we'd brought to the club were replaced (not man for man but still) with the likes of Keith Andrews and Leroy Lita.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
His Twitter comments seem to suggest 'It didn't work out because their system required a professional athlete who would be expected to move about, not someone who's a cross between Jan Molby and an oil tanker crewed by sloths.'

Well, there's that of course.

Still, onwards and upwards. To Barrow.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Love the way they talk about Akin BadBuy and then finish by saying " .... and then he was sold to Crystal Palace"

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Obika's overhead kick attempt in front of the north stand was one of the funniest things I ever witnessed.

It almost went out of the ground.

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
As already said it's the Mail Online along with misogyny, body shaming, sexism, Princess Diana, mortgages & the weather 'confusing' is their middle name.

As for bringing it to the masses, again I said I wouldn't have bothered but for the palace deal.
Even then I still highlighted what I believed to be the 'good' bit.
That being the fact they were still paying, dare I say, a considerable wage to a player who played 40 games, didn't score and hasn't played for 2 (two) years. :lol:

"Don’t trust Daily Mail website, Microsoft browser warns users "

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...ly-mail-website-microsoft-browser-warns-users

(Not that I'd usually trust Microsoft, either, but in this case...)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
For me Best is Worst. It's hard to argue with the choice of Leon Best. In every match he genuinely looked like he didn't want to be on the field playing for us.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For me Best is Worst. It's hard to argue with the choice of Leon Best. In every match he genuinely looked like he didn't want to be on the field playing for us.

The most inappropriately named footballer since Mark Bright.

Or Mike Small.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
At least Obika used to try. It just wasn't the sport for him. Cackpom....well...what a lazy shit he was. Nothing worse than a player who clearly had ability but just couldn't be arsed.

Wouldn't agree with that. Obika was clearly not good enough for us but has had a career in the game and not done too bad for Swindon and Oxford. (agree about Cackpom though!!)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here