Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] King Danny Dyer

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
still struggling to see how Danny Dyer strutting around, on horseback and spearing melons saying "lets 'ave it", hunting in the woods with bow and arrow, is supposed to be attacking masculinity?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I missed the first 20 minutes, but really enjoyed the rest. I quite like Danny Dyer and loved the fact that he didn't take himself too seriously and played up to his role as 'King'! As Mrs Bobkin (who was taking a passing interest) pointed out, it isn't my usual thing – normally I can't be doing with history, but I really enjoyed the stories about his ancestors.

Granted it's not everyone's cup of tea – which is fair enough – but I surprised myself at how enjoyable it was.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Not a chance.

............and I also maintain it's a good idea for people whose knowledge of our history is minimal to "watch it and actually get a rough grasp of British history, in easy bites" (as I said in my original post).

Its little wonder no one knows anything about British History given your (accurate I am sure) summary of the National Curriculum. Your whole syllabus could be taught in half a term.

Luckily it is easy enough to find out what British students are really being taught.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...035/PRIMARY_national_curriculum_-_History.pdf

https://assets.publishing.service.g...5/SECONDARY_national_curriculum_-_History.pdf

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I thought not.

Well, to help you wit your skewed idea of what children are taught at school, here's a link to the national curriculum and an example of what children are taught at key stage 1.

Pupils should be taught about:
- changes within living memory. Where appropriate, these should be used to reveal aspects of change in national life
- events beyond living memory that are significant nationally or globally [for example, the Great Fire of London, the first aeroplane flight or events commemorated through festivals or anniversaries]
- the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements. Some should be used to compare aspects of life in different periods [for example, Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria, Christopher Columbus and Neil Armstrong, William Caxton and Tim Berners-Lee, Pieter Bruegel the Elder and LS Lowry, Rosa Parks and Emily Davison, Mary Seacole and/or Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell]
- significant historical events, people and places in their own locality.

https://assets.publishing.service.g...035/PRIMARY_national_curriculum_-_History.pdf

Try not to peddle the mistruth that history is all about WW1 and some veiled agenda around the slave trade. It's not. Even though these two events are significant lessons for our children to learn. Believe or not, the teachers we have in this country are focused on giving children a fantastic rounded education where they can think clearly.

Yeah, but you can prove anything with facts!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n-UGQcG3Jw

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought not.

Well, to help you wit your skewed idea of what children are taught at school, here's a link to the national curriculum and an example of what children are taught at key stage 1.

Pupils should be taught about:
- changes within living memory. Where appropriate, these should be used to reveal aspects of change in national life
- events beyond living memory that are significant nationally or globally [for example, the Great Fire of London, the first aeroplane flight or events commemorated through festivals or anniversaries]
- the lives of significant individuals in the past who have contributed to national and international achievements. Some should be used to compare aspects of life in different periods [for example, Elizabeth I and Queen Victoria, Christopher Columbus and Neil Armstrong, William Caxton and Tim Berners-Lee, Pieter Bruegel the Elder and LS Lowry, Rosa Parks and Emily Davison, Mary Seacole and/or Florence Nightingale and Edith Cavell]
- significant historical events, people and places in their own locality.

Try not to peddle the mistruth that history is all about WW1 and some veiled agenda around the slave trade. It's not. Even though these two events are significant lessons for our children to learn. Believe or not, the teachers we have in this country are focused on giving children a fantastic rounded education where they can think clearly.

I'm glad to know that History teaching has improved since my children went through school then (although there's precious little in your curriculum about Kings and Queens, or great historical events like the War of the Roses or the English Civil War). It will be a long time though - whole generations of people whose only knowledge of history is what I outlined in my post will have to pass on - before things change. The vast majority of the British state school educated public don't have a clue about history.

My observations, incidentally, are based on hard evidence. My children all went to different schools (two of them to grammar schools) and I know what their history lessons included and what they didn't!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm glad to know that History teaching has improved since my children went through school then (although there's precious little in your curriculum about Kings and Queens, or great historical events like the War of the Roses or the English Civil War). It will be a long time though - whole generations of people whose only knowledge of history is what I outlined in my post will have to pass on - before things change. The vast majority of the British state school educated public don't have a clue about history.

My observations, incidentally, are based on hard evidence. My children all went to different schools (two of them to grammar schools) and I know what their history lessons included and what they didn't!

With all due respect, unless you were there in the history lessons with your children you have no idea what they included and what they didn't. One thing that hasn't changed and will probably never change is that the stock standard responses of almost every school after almost every day to the question "what did you do at school today?" are "nothing, nothing much, can't remember etc". My experiences of talking with parents since we started posting pictures of our lessons on the school Facebook page has been overwhelmingly "i didn't realise you did such interesting stuff, i can never get anything out of the kids when they get home".

I don't remember that much of my history lessons but we certainly learned about the bronze age, World War 1 and 2, some really boring lessons about the lines of Kings and Queens, The Fire of London, Stone Age, (I remember a massive board game), Guy Fawkes. I don't remember being taught about the slave trade but then those lessons may have been so spectacularly boring that I don't remember.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Hopefully he will get the BAFTA he deserves after this.

An outstanding career re-educating the masses on 80s football violence that gave us that magnificent film Football Factory, then re-inventing himself as the landlord of all landlords Mick Carter in Eastenders.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With all due respect, unless you were there in the history lessons with your children you have no idea what they included and what they didn't. One thing that hasn't changed and will probably never change is that the stock standard responses of almost every school after almost every day to the question "what did you do at school today?" are "nothing, nothing much, can't remember etc". My experiences of talking with parents since we started posting pictures of our lessons on the school Facebook page has been overwhelmingly "i didn't realise you did such interesting stuff, i can never get anything out of the kids when they get home".

I don't remember that much of my history lessons but we certainly learned about the bronze age, World War 1 and 2, some really boring lessons about the lines of Kings and Queens, The Fire of London, Stone Age, (I remember a massive board game), Guy Fawkes. I don't remember being taught about the slave trade but then those lessons may have been so spectacularly boring that I don't remember.

With all respect, some parents help their children with their homework! And knowing what history your children know isn't just based on the 'What did you learn at school today?' interrogation.

And if you want further evidence, go quizzing and see how many people struggle with even basic history questions.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
With all respect, some parents help their children with their homework! And knowing what history your children know isn't just based on the 'What did you learn at school today?' interrogation.

And if you want further evidence, go quizzing and see how many people struggle with even basic history questions.

How many people have you asked basic history questions? Most people would probably struggle with a lot of questions about things they learnt at school anyway.

When were your kids at school?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

Further evidence??

..... and people will only know the answers about WW1 and Britain's evil involvement in the slave trade? Its a bit far for me to survey the man on the street but I'll be interested in your findings if you fancy giving it a crack.

Although i will contest any data about WW1 because i think it is more likely to have come from Blackadder than school :lolol::lolol: (funnily enough we watch the last episode of Blackadder Goes Forth when learning about war poetry (this was in English though, not history)

I am not going to try and argue with your recollection of your kids and grand kids schooling but it has to be said that your sample size is no where near big enough for you to make grandiose statements like you have on this thread. You may have a lot of kids and grand kids but there are thousands upon thousands of students every year who apply for history degrees at universities up and down the country (a falling number apparently https://www.historians.org/publicat...il-2013/data-show-a-decline-in-history-majors) are you suggesting that these people apply despite only having a passing understanding of two topics? Or perhaps you are suggesting that universities also only cover those two topics?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
How many people have you asked basic history questions?
What a daft question. Why would anyone keep a record of the number of people in quizzes who don't answer history questions correctly? It's just observation. There are, for instance, more over-weight people wandering around than there used to be, but I haven't counted them!

When were your kids at school?
Late 80s through to the noughties.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I loved my history GCSE, wish I'd taken it on further. The current thinking is not to just drill you with dates and events then test you on whether you know that or not, it is about creating historians with critical thinking, evaluation of evidence, cross referencing sources and how to interrupt information. I might not have retained a lot of dates and stuff, but in GSCE back in 1988 to 1990, we did 'the History of Medicine' and 'the American West' and got to say I've retained most of the info. and probably got my love of history from that way of studying.

What do you do, just parrot fashion try to teach kids how to remember all the dates, or do you teach them how to be historians?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I loved my history GCSE, wish I'd taken it on further. The current thinking is not to just drill you with dates and events then test you on whether you know that or not, it is about creating historians with critical thinking, evaluation of evidence, cross referencing sources and how to interrupt information. I might not have retained a lot of dates and stuff, but in GSCE back in 1988 to 1990, we did 'the History of Medicine' and 'the American West' and got to say I've retained most of the info. and probably got my love of history from that way of studying.

What do you do, just parrot fashion try to teach kids how to remember all the dates, or do you teach them how to be historians?

In the 2nd year at Hove Park (80's) I had a similar teacher who instilled a love of history in me, his name was Mr Honere (sp??). I got 98% in the end of year exam, i was never particularly academic so that was a big thing for me. In the 3rd year we had a different teacher who bored the shit out of me (and everyone else) and i bombed out and don't remember anything. 4th year was our options and I dropped history, much to the dismay of Mr Honere who pinned me up against the corridor wall when questioning my decision. I wish I had kept it up as history is something that still interests me today (and i only know anything about WW1 and the Evil UK involvement in the slave trade)

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just tried to watch this but stopped after 20 minutes ..... really ...... utter **** using daft phrases just for show. The idea was a good one ..... maybe if Dyer could have become less of a 'lad' it would have been watchable but he made it utterly impossible to watch.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
What a daft question. Why would anyone keep a record of the number of people in quizzes who don't answer history questions correctly? It's just observation. There are, for instance, more over-weight people wandering around than there used to be, but I haven't counted them!

Late 80s through to the noughties.

The period I was at school then, more or less. I remember a fairly broad curriculum. Off the top of my head, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, The Romans, The Vikings, The Aztecs, The Mayans, The Normans, the War of the Roses, The Tudors, The Stuarts, The Elizabethan era, Cromwell, The Victorian era, the industrial revolution, WWI and WWII. Of course this doesn't cover everything we studied.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I have no idea who he is.

It is a standing joke in our house that Danny Dyer's daughter is called Dani Dyer. I don't really understand why it is funny, but each time someone says 'Danny Dyer's daughter is called Dani Dyer' there is much hilarity.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It is a standing joke in our house that Danny Dyer's daughter is called Dani Dyer. I don't really understand why it is funny, but each time someone says 'Danny Dyer's daughter is called Dani Dyer' there is much hilarity.

Why did this remind me of Ken Dodd's Dad's Dog's Dead?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here