West Sussex
Explosive delivery from Stokes in the last over... Roach fends to Root at slip

West Indies close on 264-8 (89.2 overs)

Fantastic comeback from Anderson and Stokes with the new ball... 240-4 to 264-8

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Good end to the day, however why have England selected two spinners, plus occasional spinner Root. Hard, fast, bouncy surface surely would have suited Broad or Woakes.
Rashid is not a Test Match bowler, maybe have been ok bowling on a deteriorated last day wicket but England won't be bowling last. Sorry but this is a poor selection.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
If we had won the toss and batted first, I don't think we would be having the same debate. That said, we took 8 wickets in the day, which by any measure is a decent effort. It is not as clear cut as some are suggesting.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Good end to the day, however why have England selected two spinners, plus occasional spinner Root. Hard, fast, bouncy surface surely would have suited Broad or Woakes.
Rashid is not a Test Match bowler, maybe have been ok bowling on a deteriorated last day wicket but England won't be bowling last. Sorry but this is a poor selection.

On the plus side it’s good to know we have strength in depth in our bowling with Broad, Woakes and Leach waiting in the wings. If only we had the same selection conundrum with our top 3.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
If we had won the toss and batted first, I don't think we would be having the same debate. That said, we took 8 wickets in the day, which by any measure is a decent effort. It is not as clear cut as some are suggesting.

Totally agree about the toss, however it is not clear cut because our spinners have a poor economy rate for Test cricket.

At times you need the slow bowlers to simply tie up one end and rotate the quicks at the other end, our spinners are not capable of this bowling a four ball every over.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
On the plus side it’s good to know we have strength in depth in our bowling with Broad, Woakes and Leach waiting in the wings. If only we had the same selection conundrum with our top 3.

I think Root bottles it a bit and he should bat three. Our problem with the batting is finding a replacement for Cook, Burns looks ok and worth a run in the side, however Jennings for a tall bloke does not move his feet and plays from the crease. Maybe I'm old fashioned but I was coached to get your foot to the pitch of the ball.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Totally agree about the toss, however it is not clear cut because our spinners have a poor economy rate for Test cricket.

At times you need the slow bowlers to simply tie up one end and rotate the quicks at the other end, our spinners are not capable of this bowling a four ball every over.

I like Rashid but surely it would have made more sense to play Leach. Seeing as he has proved his ability to tie up an end and NOT bowl a four ball an over.

Having said that, I'd have picked Broad and left the spin duties to Moeen and Root.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Two wickets needed this morning... hopefully Hetmyer doesn't get a chance to do much damage.

Burns and Jennings will be on edge... :)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Should get them quickly, Gabriel is right up there in the Panesar class as a batsman

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Nice Albion baseball cap on display there

20190124_142106 (2).jpg

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Useful late order runs for the hosts.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
the dangerous and impressive Shimron Hetmyer has moved on to a handsome 75... and WI 283-8

A wicket would be nice :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here