Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Favourite Post Brexit Fish

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Ai, thems were the days when you could get 5 Park Drive and a penny book of matches for less than a shilling. Well that’s where my dinner money went!

There was the old tobacconist in Warwick Street in Worthing where you could buy Park Drive singularly. Bloody life saver in the days when I smoked.

(Realise that’s the wrong phrase really)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
is this what intelligent people genuinely believe, that there would be extra tariffs applied? when a primary purpose of leaving is to reduce tariffs?

Care to tell the class what zero minus something is?
seafood.JPG

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
I can guarantee a increased pricing policy for hairdressers who's clientele still prefer a nice greased up Mullet

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Care to tell the class what zero minus something is?

why make a strawman? the question was why would we chose to increase tariffs on non-EU imports, against stated policy. non-EU import tariffs would remain same or lower. all hypothetical anyway.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Snoek

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Ha, not for the first time the word 'strawman' has been used when the topic of conversation couldn't be more precise.

Is this a new thing from those who happen to cornered?

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
why make a strawman? the question was why would we chose to increase tariffs on non-EU imports, against stated policy. non-EU import tariffs would remain same or lower. all hypothetical anyway.

I think Mr Huffa forgets he’s a moderator at times and jumps into threads looking to impose his wisdom on us all, quite cute really.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

The only one presenting a strawman is you. A strawman is an informal fallacy, based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. The very precise point that [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] made was that there is currently no tarrif on cod. Your rebuttal to that was to state that we're leaving the EU to reduce tariifs. You didn't address the cod tarriff at all, or even appear to know that there currently isn't one. You leapt from a tenner for a piece of cod to a supposition regarding tarriffs that cannot possibly be proven, because the government is currently making a complete pig's ear of negotiating us out.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I think Mr Huffa forgets he’s a moderator at times and jumps into threads looking to impose his wisdom on us all, quite cute really.

That’s about the only thing you’ve got right in the 10 minutes you’ve been on NSC [emoji23]

You haven't even got my name right.....

Last edited:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
The only one presenting a strawman is you. A strawman is an informal fallacy, based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent's argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent. The very precise point that [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] made was that there is currently no tarrif on cod. Your rebuttal to that was to state that we're leaving the EU to reduce tariifs. You didn't address the cod tarriff at all, or even appear to know that there currently isn't one. You leapt from a tenner for a piece of cod to a supposition regarding tarriffs that cannot possibly be proven, because the government is currently making a complete pig's ear of negotiating us out.

Crispy pig's ear with cod sounds pretty good to be fair.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

i only asked if people really think we would increase tariffs on non-EU imports, as implied by a £10 portion of cod. then you infer i suggest below zero tariffs ???

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
i only asked if people really think we would increase tariffs on non-EU imports, as implied by a £10 portion of cod. then you infer i suggest below zero tariffs ???

You quoted Simster's zero tarriff post though. Did you hit quote by accident?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
You do talk nonsense. Do you manage to confuse yourself?

The way it went was that I said Fish and chips would be a lot more expensive, primarily because we'd have left the common market with the zero tariffs to a possible no-deal Brexit where tariffs are high. Sure, we *might* find ourselves in a position where neither the EU nor UK impose tariffs on each other, but that is a leap and far from guaranteed. Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
You do talk nonsense. Do you manage to confuse yourself?

The way it went was that I said Fish and chips would be a lot more expensive, primarily because we'd have left the common market with the zero tariffs to a possible no-deal Brexit where tariffs are high. Sure, we *might* find ourselves in a position where neither the EU nor UK impose tariffs on each other, but that is a leap and far from guaranteed. Why is that so difficult for you to comprehend?

and i asked if people believe we would impose tariffs on ourselves. apparently so. i dont know why you go on to insult anyone discussing something.

i should leave this to the jovial fish humour as intended.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It's funny how some things that are considered quintessentially British by the British people actually aren't at all........Your fish finger sandwich is gonna get a helluva more expensive (along with EVERYTHING else.)

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/jan/21/brexit-shrinkflation-ons-pack-sizes

"Birds Eye cut the number of fish fingers in a packet from 12 to 10, saying at the time: “The cost of many of our raw materials have risen since the EU referendum."”

download.jpg

£1.35 in Aldi. My packet says they're Alaskan Pollock which is currently subject to a 13% tariff, according to this document.
https://www.seafish.org/media/publications/Tariffs_on_imported_seafood_170330.pdf

According to this the WTO tariff is between 5% and 10%.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/dec/19/uk-should-not-fear-trade-tariffs-post-brexit-says-fishing-chief

So allowing for cost rises in the supply chain, it doesn't take a hugh leap of imagination to think they'll end up more or less the same price :shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here