Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Rome

Hampden Park

Ex R.N.
Oct 7, 2003
Alright Foxy!

Last time there in the RN with Invincible, one of our lads had his back pocket cut off while he nodded off at Rome station waiting for the train back to Civitavecchia. Had his wallet away of course. They love a blade in Rome.

Been there lots since with the cruise ships & the amount that get robbed during their day trip is unbelievable.

i know what you mean m8y, when in Montego Bay, one of the chiefs was distracted by one of the 'locals'. he dropped something on the deck, the chief bent down to pick it up and the locals friend stanley knifed his back pocket and nicked his wallet. we followed the 'locals' and retrieved his wallet, 'locals' not impressed as their heads were bruised and bleeding somehow :rolleyes::lolol:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
St Peters is a must though. It took a thousand years to build.

No it didn't.

They started building the current one in 1506 and it was consecrated in 1626.

Absolutely worth a visit though, I agree.

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I have an unopened (polywrapped)copy of this on my desk in front of me if anyone wants it. Was freebie on a work trip. PM me with details if interested.

Capture rome.PNG

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No it didn't.

They started building the current one in 1506 and it was consecrated in 1626.

Absolutely worth a visit though, I agree.

No your right as it was build over the old Constantinian St Peters Basilica which dated back to 300/400 A.D.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
No your right as it was build over the old Constantinian Basilica which dated back to 300/400 A.D.
Yep, Pope Julius II decided he wanted a new one during his reign, although it didn't get finished until over a century after he died.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Villa Giulia is a very good museum. Rome owes a great deal to the Etruscan culture so if you get a chance it's worth going there.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yep, Pope Julius II decided he wanted a new one during his reign, although it didn't get finished until over a century after he died.

I was there two weeks ago and I visited it for the unteenth time. The building never fails to amaze me, as do most things from the renaissance period but especially architecture.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here