Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sussex Senior Cup - we've not enough U23 players

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's the Sussex Senior Cup - as far as I know it's just become a convention that we play our youngsters, not our first teamers. So, what's stopping us giving a bit of game time to the likes of Schelotto, Burn and Sanchez? Surely we can rustle up a few more youngsters to make up a team. Eastbourne fans have got every right to have a damn good moan. IMHO. Sadly, unless there are factors we don't know about, this sounds like Brighton playing Billy Big-Bollocks.

You seem to have jumped too easily to the wrong conclusion (see clarification posted later). Our club should be better than that, are better than that, and you ought to know that :shrug:

(I admit I'm aftertiming here :lolol:)

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Please explain.

You said:-

This article said the postponement was agreed before last night's match ....

I don't think the article does say that. The statement from the Sussex County FA says "The decision to reschedule the fixture was agreed in advance of the match with the Sussex FA and with the full understanding and support of Eastbourne Town FC." I read that as referring to being "..in advance of the [Sussex Senior Cup-tie] match...", not in advance of the FA Youth Cup tie.

You also said:-

... and it was the Sussex FA who pulled it, not the Albion.

That is disingenuous on your part. Clearly, the Sussex FA only "pulled it" due to a request from Albion; the Sussex FA didn't initiate the postponement of the fixture.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You said:-

I don't think the article does say that. The statement from the Sussex County FA says "The decision to reschedule the fixture was agreed in advance of the match with the Sussex FA and with the full understanding and support of Eastbourne Town FC." I read that as referring to being "..in advance of the [Sussex Senior Cup-tie] match...", not in advance of the FA Youth Cup tie.

You also said:-

That is disingenuous on your part. Clearly, the Sussex FA only "pulled it" due to a request from Albion; the Sussex FA didn't initiate the postponement of the fixture.

The Sussex FA said that FA cup competitions take precedent over the Sussex Challenge cup. We are involved in two FA cup competitions this week, ie the U18s last night, and the 4th round on Saturday which will probably involve some of the U23s.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
It's Eastbourne town not Eastbourne borough. Eastbourne for some reason has three non league teams, Eastbourne borough (used to be called Langley sports) Eastbourne town and Eastbourne United.

There are actually 4 non league teams in Eastbourne, the 3 you have mentioned and Langney Wanderers, who play in the same division as Town and United.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We are involved in two FA cup competitions this week, ie the U18s last night, and the 4th round on Saturday which will probably involve some of the U23s.

Didn't seem to be a problem last month, when the U-23s and U-18s both played on the same day (Saturday December 15) and the first team played the following day.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You are confusing eligibility with choice.

:facepalm:

No I'm not. I'm well aware of the difference.

The Sussex FA rules which I cut and pasted make no mention of compulsion, as you can see - just that eligible clubs can apply. Look it up for yourself, and let me know where it says anybody has to enter: http://www.sussexfa.com/cups-and-competitions/rules-and-documents

The Wiltshire FA site, which was the other one which I googled, specifically specified that all senior teams are compelled to enter their competition. There is a difference in the rules as laid out by the County bodies themselves, and not an iota of confusion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit that when a member of Surrey County FA council I was under the impression that every club registered with the County FA had to participate in either the Lower Junior, Junior Intermediate or Senior Cup depending on their status so much so that when completing the annual registration forms clubs were fined for not entering their relevant cup. I thought that this was an FA Rule and that they insisted it was put in Surrey FA Rule book. Having no dealings with other County FA I assumed that they all followed suit.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
Comment on the Nomad Forum (Forum for Sussex Non-League Football)

Re: Sussex Senior Cup .
Postby crossbar1 » Tue Jan 22 2019, 11:11
Apparently in a earlier round Seaford couldn’t raise a team to go to Bognor, so Bognor went through, Sussex FA at its best .

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
If we can't put a team out we should forfeit the game, that's how it happens in all other echelons of football. Christ I know trying to scrape together a bare XI for a Sunday League match. This is a complete embarrassment for the club that we can't cobble together a squad

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

There are actually 4 non league teams in Eastbourne, the 3 you have mentioned and Langney Wanderers, who play in the same division as Town and United.
So are there four enclosed football grounds in the town?
If we have to put out under 15s and go out so be it, at least they gain experience.
That would literally be men against boys :)

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Yeh, what on earth are we doing?

If we have to put out under 15s and go out so be it, at least they gain experience. But we can't just renege on a fixture. I can't think of a single acceptable excuse. Tinpot and embarrassing

What would be tinpot and embarrassing would be to put out an under 15 team in the Sussex Senior Cup. It would also be extremely insulting to Eastbourne Town.

Additionally, you've totally made up the point about 'reneging' on a fixture. The Albion have done no such thing. They asked for a postponement. Eastbourne Town - as per the Sussex FA statement - agreed to it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here