Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Burnley fan, here in peace...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If you're staying in Brighton, and it's likely you are, then I'm not sure you'd not want to head over to Lewes pre-match when there is such a wealth of decent places close to Brighton station.

Assuming that to be the case [MENTION=37925]CricketFieldEnd[/MENTION] - stay in the vicinity of Brighton station pre-match. Decent places includes the Battle of Trafalgar, Prince Albert, Sussex Yeoman and the Lord Nelson - all just a few minutes from the station, but there are loads more.

Get to the station by 2pm as there will be a queueing system for trains to Falmer, which is right next to the ground. You don't need to pay - it's included in your match ticket.

Post-match - stay behind for a bit and let the train queue back to Brighton recede. The bar in your end will be open, but so are the bars in the Albion ends, which you're welcome to use as well. After a couple of pints or so, you shouldn't have to wait too long for a train to take you back.

I honestly think that this is the only post that the OP needed to read. Sensible and to the point. Al of the other conflicting suggestions as to pubs and locales, are only serving to completely confuse him!

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Well by-and-large they can and they do; reasonably behaved away fans are fine in the North Laine pubs; I've not seen any problems for years. People are only suggesting avoiding The Railway Bell, Grand Central and Queens Head by the station because you get a more aggressive type of Albion fan in them...

Why, in this day and age, can't supporters of both clubs mix together ?

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Age range - 27-32 - just a 'reyt' pub, that does a 'reyt' pint!

Just head to the North Laine area as mentioned, you wont miss a decent pub or two around there.

I would always suggest the eagle to people. if you fancy watching soccer saturday and necking a few pints you will be limited to pubs up closer to the station though. Just work your way around you wont go wrong, however if you are from Burnley expect to pay almost double what you pay for a pint.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Just head to the North Laine area as mentioned, you wont miss a decent pub or two around there.

I would always suggest the eagle to people. if you fancy watching soccer saturday and necking a few pints you will be limited to pubs up closer to the station though. Just work your way around you wont go wrong, however if you are from Burnley expect to pay almost double what you pay for a pint.
Is Burnley still that cheap for beer? Depending on where you go, Sheffield prices are often pretty similar to Brighton these days.

There are exceptions obviously but in the city centre, or the trendier pubs elsewhere, £4+ for a decent pint is pretty standard and some of the craft beer prices are eye watering.

Used to be a HUGE North South divide on the price of a pint but nowadays I've noticed it a lot less. And there's always Spoons.....

Caveat, I've never been to Burnley.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
however if you are from Burnley expect to pay almost double what you pay for a pint.

If you go to the Stanmer House (which is quite possibly the second closest pub to the Amex) you're probably paying three times what you'd pay in Burnley.

It's interesting that the three pubs nearest the station are generally no go for away fans, yet pubs just a few metres away would bring no problems at all. I've certainly seen plenty of away fans in the Evening Star before a game

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Is Burnley still that cheap for beer? Depending on where you go, Sheffield prices are often pretty similar to Brighton these days.

There are exceptions obviously but in the city centre, or the trendier pubs elsewhere, £4+ for a decent pint is pretty standard and some of the craft beer prices are eye watering.

Used to be a HUGE North South divide on the price of a pint but nowadays I've noticed it a lot less. And there's always Spoons.....

Caveat, I've never been to Burnley.

Last season when I went up, we were paying £2.85 a pint in some places. I remember my mate handed over £30 for 5 pints and got change back from a twenty.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
We're stopping in a hotel up by 'Western Lawns', so plan to be there about lunchtime on Saturday, head to Brighton centre and have a beer or two there, then get thre train up to Falmer from there. Some handy recommendations, certainly for the train too, cheers guys.

Unless you have a caravan, that will be the Best Western.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Last season when I went up, we were paying £2.85 a pint in some places. I remember my mate handed over £30 for 5 pints and got change back from a twenty.
Well, yeah I suppose that's still possible here too, just depends where you go. In the same day I paid £5.10 for a pint of IPA in one pub (nowhere fancy either) and £2.29 in a Spoons for something very similar (which was actually nicer).

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well, yeah I suppose that's still possible here too, just depends where you go. In the same day I paid £5.10 for a pint of IPA in one pub (nowhere fancy either) and £2.29 in a Spoons for something very similar (which was actually nicer).

We went to a couple of places both on what I assumed was the high street. I dont doubt many northern towns are just as expensive I have visited many, however I still find the smaller Northern towns still suprisingly cheap when it comes to booze.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patreon
May 3, 2012
Valencia
We're stopping in a hotel up by 'Western Lawns', so plan to be there about lunchtime on Saturday, head to Brighton centre and have a beer or two there, then get thre train up to Falmer from there. Some handy recommendations, certainly for the train too, cheers guys.

The walk from where you're staying to the centre has quite a few good pubs to break up the stroll. Bison Beer, The Wick, Lion and Lobster (great Sunday roast if you're in town for long enough), Robin Hood and The Windmill spring to mind.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
The walk from where you're staying to the centre has quite a few good pubs to break up the stroll. Bison Beer, The Wick, Lion and Lobster (great Sunday roast if you're in town for long enough), Robin Hood and The Windmill spring to mind.

Great suggestion, however it would be more a day on the beers opposed to be around many football fans.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Evening ladies and gents. Just a quick one; 4 of us travelling down for the game on the 9th and stopping overnight. Where's best for away fans to head pre & post match?

Cheers!

Probably depends if you are as homophobic as the train load of Burnley fans I encountered on my last trip oop north.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here