Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Australia v Uzbekistan

They play the winner of UAE or Kyrgyzstan in the quarter final on Friday.

They play the winner of hosts UAE v Kyrgyzstan in the Quarters.
This is the first time I've seen the hosts play and I can't believe the turnout! This was the scene a minute before kick off...
1548091011940.jpg

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
29th Jan v South Korea (unlikely to win this)

It's probably 50/50.

Australia (#41) are ranked higher than South Korea (#53) and beat them in the 2015 Final.

That said, South Korea have got to get past Bahrain and either Qatar or Iraq first, although they'd be expected to do so.

Regardless of all of this, the clear favourites so far are Iran, the highest ranked team at #29, who haven't conceded a goal yet.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
To be honest, though I'll be happy if either of or players win it, I will be happier if Iran win it, as Ali J is yet to complete his two years mandatory national service, which they would probably be exempted from if they won it , as was the case with Heung Mon Son.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
All stuck in the bag-check queue I guess....

Based on earlier experiences in the tournament, you may well be right.

Despite the tournament being on track for a modern record low attendance, it was reported that many ticket-holding fans were not let into the Group B match between Palestine and Australia, with management closing a number of the stadium gates before the start of the match and estimates of up to three thousand fans remaining in queue half an hour after kickoff. The Asian Cup organising committee issued an apology to supporters who were “inconvenienced or left disappointed”.Other games with relatively large attendances during the group stage were also not seen to reach their full attendance in the stands until after half time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_AFC_Asian_Cup

That said, it's not uncommon for people to turn up to events over here at a fairly late hour, be it parties, concerts or sporting events.

And, as we all know from the Amex, there's always some difference between the number of tickets sold and the number actually attending games.

Mr Cleansheets

Jun 7, 2017
Given that the tournament has now reached the knockout phase, Maty's performance in that last game will be scaring the shit out of other teams re the likely winner of a shootout...which could mean Oz will be less confronted by parked buses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here