Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Observations from Old Trafford saturday

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Ok agree about the atmosphere , but I would think Liverpool or a big European match would be worth experiencing.

I went to a Liverpool match in about 1989 or 1990. Just walked in on the day (PoTG), none of this ticket nonsense - with my weekend rucksack on my back. Not a United fan by a long chalk, but was in the Stretford End. Liverpool went 2-0 up, and I refrained from cheering. United got one back, and the atmosphere was something else - even I spent the last 20 minutes or so willing them on to get an equaliser, and I can't stand them.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Agree it’s more impressive outside but I’m not worried about the atmosphere of their fans only ours who were terrific Saturday. Aside years ago did the stadium tour with my boys when they were young and that was a great experience. Also last year my eldest was able to get a picture holding the Champions league trophy which was a classy touch.
We stayed up for a few days and really enjoyed Manchester and went to some really good pubs and restaurants. Great weekend.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I first went there in our first season in the top flight. We were stuck in the corner pen by the corner flag with huge red wrought iron railings in front of us. Probably a few hundred Albion fans there that day. What I remember most (apart from losing 2-0) was the absolute crescendo of noise, and that was just for the corners. When they scored , it was deafening. It had atmosphere and it was very loud. The Stretford End still used to surge to the front like a giant red wave. But back then, it was largely full of people from Manchester.
I say largely, I still remember our one coach to Burnley back in the eighties being overtaken by three MUFC coaches from Cornwall.
It's a shame a once great stadium has been taken over by neutrals and tourists.

I was at that match. We had sitting in the stand with some United fans we met on holiday. They were actually from Manchester (Gorton).

The stretford end was renowned for noise. What we didn;t appreciate was the noise from the United fans in the paddock (the corner next to the Brighton fans). There were 1000s of them making an almighty racket. Thery went top of the league that day after despatching us 2-0.

Mind you, in those days Arsenal fans used to make a racket at Highbury, City in the Kippax etc etc

Drpepper

Nov 23, 2011
Sussex
Saturday was my first ever visit to Old Trafford and in my mind with all its history and club money the stadium should be ‘up there’ with Wembley and Anfield as a place to visit for any fan but……

1. Apart from the two stewards at the top of the E231 steps, the Stewards were an unfriendly and basically a jobsworth bunch.
Despite searching my medium size shoulder bag (which was pretty empty after we had eaten our lunch so contained nothing of interest), they were questioning its size. Is that simply to make you use their £5 bag drop? I saw women with bigger handbags in the stadium that obviously had made it in.
Strangely the security was tighter getting in to the shop than through the turnstiles. We didn’t want to buy anything just went in to get out of the cold and rain.
2. Away toilets were dingy and dirty from the off but not helped later by Albion fans who have no ability to aim properly.
3. Refreshments. No space to put drinks down and soft drinks were served in flimsy plastic containers making it impossible to carry more than two.
4. Seats were primitive plastic. I know Tony spoils us.
5. No big screen showing teams and highlights? Are they that desperate to squeeze every last tourist in that they can’t spare the space?
6. Home fans. Where were they? I couldn’t work out which end was the home end.

A pretty disappointing show from such a famous club.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice the senior steward along the dugout side? Ordering his team around every time the ball went out of play? And that was in front of the home fans lol

What did anyone else think?

I just went to watch the football like any away game. Sounds like your doing a review on tripadvisor

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
People moaning about toilets at football grounds remind of people moaning about toilets at pubs.

You don't go to either just to go to the loo.

Always think of it as a massive ground stepped in history. Plus looking at the Munich memorial just outside just underlines this.

Ok agree about the atmosphere , but I would think Liverpool or a big European match would be worth experiencing.

What did impress me was the tram service post match. Think I was back in the city for 1730, in time for a couple of pints before the train home.

True we don't go "just go to the loo" but most of us have to use them, especially after a few pre-match beers.

I remember a 4-0 defeat at Brentford. The floors of the gents were covered in urine at half time. I didn't like it. Others may be different.

The Rattler

NSC Patron
Jun 30, 2010
Dullsville, Herts
True we don't go "just go to the loo" but most of us have to use them, especially after a few pre-match beers.

I remember a 4-0 defeat at Brentford. The floors of the gents were covered in urine at half time. I didn't like it. Others may be different.

I remember TWO 4-0 defeats in a row at Brentford. I was just starting to get over them...

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I thought it was great.

Don’t forget Old Trafford is an old ground which has been redeveloped many times. The Amex is probably the best ground in the country for fan experience - it’s less than ten years old.

Quite quiet and no wi if annoyed me as it was impossible to get a mobile signal but no complaints from me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
I remember TWO 4-0 defeats in a row at Brentford. I was just starting to get over them...

I was referring to the second defeat.

fortunately I missed the first one.

We didn't lose any there after that. (I think)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Really don't get this history thing!

It's a crap ground not fit for purpose but we know the yanks are creaming the money off the club rather than investing in infrastructure.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
Against the grain of this thread, but I will say that OT has a "lounge" where disabled supporters can go before the game, at HT, and at the end, where you can stay warm. Last years cup game was driving blizzard and the disabled bar was a godsend. Never been to another ground like it in that respect, ours included. Hats off to MU for their disabled facilities. A warm place to go, for people who cannot get circulation due to disability, should be commended. Brilliant from MU.
(Incidentally, the DVD of the 1983 cup final from the MEGASTORE!!!! is only the replay, so w*****s)

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Surely it's not just about the facilities but the ambience of the place?? Literally dripping in history, all the great United sides of the past and many of the great European sides have played matches that will go down in the annals of history of our beautiful game. I think you will be one of the minority, plenty of Albion fans will have had a day out they will never forget and soaked in all that history and tradition.

I go to football to watch good football and enjoy the atmosphere. I’m not bothered about food, drink, comfort etc. But the away stand is too far from the pitch and the atmosphere generated by the home fans is crap.
I was not impressed, certainly not in awe. Much prefer the Amex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here