Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Observations from Old Trafford saturday

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Saturday was my first ever visit to Old Trafford and in my mind with all its history and club money the stadium should be ‘up there’ with Wembley and Anfield as a place to visit for any fan but……

1. Apart from the two stewards at the top of the E231 steps, the Stewards were an unfriendly and basically a jobsworth bunch.
Despite searching my medium size shoulder bag (which was pretty empty after we had eaten our lunch so contained nothing of interest), they were questioning its size. Is that simply to make you use their £5 bag drop? I saw women with bigger handbags in the stadium that obviously had made it in.
Strangely the security was tighter getting in to the shop than through the turnstiles. We didn’t want to buy anything just went in to get out of the cold and rain.
2. Away toilets were dingy and dirty from the off but not helped later by Albion fans who have no ability to aim properly.
3. Refreshments. No space to put drinks down and soft drinks were served in flimsy plastic containers making it impossible to carry more than two.
4. Seats were primitive plastic. I know Tony spoils us.
5. No big screen showing teams and highlights? Are they that desperate to squeeze every last tourist in that they can’t spare the space?
6. Home fans. Where were they? I couldn’t work out which end was the home end.

A pretty disappointing show from such a famous club.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice the senior steward along the dugout side? Ordering his team around every time the ball went out of play? And that was in front of the home fans lol

What did anyone else think?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
I am not an inveterate away traveller and I wasn't there on Saturday, but went to our cup match there last season.

I was enormously disappointed with it. Agree with all your comments. In terms of a "stadium experience", I think the AMEX is miles ahead.

The other stadium I have been to a few times is St Marys in Southampton, both as a Home and an Away Supporter. It is nowhere near the AMEX, but streets ahead of Old Trafford.

Our plumber, a Saints fan, has told me the best places for comfort and facilities are the Etihad and the Emirates.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Saturday was my first ever visit to Old Trafford and in my mind with all its history and club money the stadium should be ‘up there’ with Wembley and Anfield as a place to visit for any fan but……

1. Apart from the two stewards at the top of the E231 steps, the Stewards were an unfriendly and basically a jobsworth bunch.
Despite searching my medium size shoulder bag (which was pretty empty after we had eaten our lunch so contained nothing of interest), they were questioning its size. Is that simply to make you use their £5 bag drop? I saw women with bigger handbags in the stadium that obviously had made it in.
Strangely the security was tighter getting in to the shop than through the turnstiles. We didn’t want to buy anything just went in to get out of the cold and rain.
2. Away toilets were dingy and dirty from the off but not helped later by Albion fans who have no ability to aim properly.
3. Refreshments. No space to put drinks down and soft drinks were served in flimsy plastic containers making it impossible to carry more than two.
4. Seats were primitive plastic. I know Tony spoils us.
5. No big screen showing teams and highlights? Are they that desperate to squeeze every last tourist in that they can’t spare the space?
6. Home fans. Where were they? I couldn’t work out which end was the home end.

A pretty disappointing show from such a famous club.

Incidentally, did anyone else notice the senior steward along the dugout side? Ordering his team around every time the ball went out of play? And that was in front of the home fans lol

What did anyone else think?

Been a number of times going back to the 80's.

It's a horribly cramped ground, outdated with poor seating.

It has somehow been allowed to seat 75000 tourists and southerners in a ground only capable of holding 50000 comfortably. If a terrorist attack or alike happened it would be a disaster as the exits are far too few and between. I could see a real issue to get people out safely.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Been a number of times going back to the 80's.

It's a horribly cramped ground, outdated with poor seating.

It has somehow been allowed to seat 75000 tourists and southerners in a ground only capable of holding 50000 comfortably. If a terrorist attack or alike happened it would be a disaster as the exits are far too few and between. I could see a real issue to get people out safely.

I've mentioned elsewhere that I was amazed how quickly the Sir Alex & Stretford stands emptied post match, and not because many went early. At a guess I'd say minutes to completely clear both.
I couldn't sit in my seat. I reckon you could get 40K in the Amex if we squeezed in the seats in the same way.
And yes, the formation dancing of the stewards was fun to watch.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Surely it's not just about the facilities but the ambience of the place?? Literally dripping in history, all the great United sides of the past and many of the great European sides have played matches that will go down in the annals of history of our beautiful game. I think you will be one of the minority, plenty of Albion fans will have had a day out they will never forget and soaked in all that history and tradition.

Last edited:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
Surely it's not just about the facilities but the ambience of the place?? Literally dripping in history, all the great United sides of the past and many of the great European sides have played matches that will go down in the annals of history of our beautiful game. I think you will be one of the minority, plenty of ALbion fans will have had a day out they will never forget and soaked in all that history and tradition.

Well I got soaked in the rain and soaked in the toilet but as much as I wanted to think of Charlton, Stiles, Law and Best etc, for some reason the lack of atmosphere didn't make it happen.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Went last year. Very, very impressive from the outside I thought, then once you're in you realise it's only impressive on the outside. There's some wonderful history outside, the ground feels big and imposing, and I like that you can walk about with stands above you.

Inside isn't special at all, and noted some seats stuck right in the top of one the stands that must have an absolutely awful view. Atmosphere inside was fine I suppose, but hasn't stuck with me in any significant way.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Surely it's not just about the facilities but the ambience of the place?? Literally dripping in history, all the great United sides of the past and many of the great European sides have played matches that will go down in the annals of history of our beautiful game. I think you will be one of the minority, plenty of Albion fans will have had a day out they will never forget and soaked in all that history and tradition.

:lolol: Vintage Crodo - choc full of banal hyperbole. :lolol:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Over Rated and full of tourists
Went last year and sat with the so called home fans and it was embarrassing.
Went this year and enjoyed the atmosphere we generated but the ground is outdated now and the so called executive boxes directly behind us were basic rooms with a TV in the corner which was handy for us to watch all the replays during the game and also amusing as one of my lads has an app on his phone which allows you to switch the TV's off which he did at various times during breaks in play.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
It's a shithole, has been for a while. Think I had more room at Loftus Road. Thank god they don't enforce sitting because it would be impossible.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
2. Away toilets were dingy and dirty from the off but not helped later by Albion fans who have no ability to aim properly

Didn't think the Ladies were that bad.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Dripping in piss and shit.

Your post is for the tourists.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

If I want a day out to soak up history and tradition I will go to a museum or a Historic England site. A football ground is for the here and now and the atmosphere on the day, combined with the result.

If you just want to soak up all that history at Old Trafford do the stadium tour and skip the 83 jobsworth stewards outside the away entrance, the plastic seats that have less leg room that a dwarf would be happy with.

If the PL ever introduced a minimum leg room requirement, the capacity at Old Trafford would be halved over night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here