Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thanks to Diogo Jota on Saturday Albion now hold a new top flight record

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Chuba Akpom scored a hat-trick for the Arsenal U-21s there in December 2014

For Akpom to have scored once against us we must have been shit, I am guessing for him to score a hat-trick we must have played a half without a goalkeeper or any defenders.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Glenn Murray scored a hat-trick against Norwich City in October 2016 and Tomer Hemed did so against Fulham in April 2016.

Chuba Akpom scored a hat-trick for the Arsenal U-21s there in December 2014 and Kelland Watts scored a hat-trick for the Newcastle United U-18s in the FA Youth Cup in a 5-0 hammering of the Seagulls in December 2017.

Which is a great example of why I voted for who I did in that poll the other week. You are a masterpiece. :kiss:

That list is missing Cardiff and Huddersfield.

Because they've never done it presumably?
Not even in this season?
By the way, Huddersfield nicked it because they scored fewer goals than Cardiff. 'Go figure', as the Americans would say.
Screenshot_20190121-003245.png

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not even in this season?
By the way, Huddersfield nicked it because they scored fewer goals than Cardiff. 'Go figure', as the Americans would say.
View attachment 103968

Back then, teams on equal points were separated by goal average, not difference. It was scrapped in the 70s because, as you say, average favoured teams that scored fewer goals.

Nigella's Cream Pie

Fingerlickin good
Apr 2, 2009
Up your alley
Not even in this season?
View attachment 103968

Cardiff's Len Davies missed a late penalty in the final match of the season, a 0-0 draw at Birmingham. Their final goal average was 0.024 worse than that of Huddersfield, who beat Nottingham Forest 3-0. Cardiff scored one more goal and conceded one more; under current rules they would be champions, having scored more.
Source: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/looking-back-1924-cardiff-city-2504565

He scored 8 hat-tricks for Cardiff, the one he scored in January 1922 (in a 6-3 win over Bradford City) being Cardiff's first ever in Division 1 (and, btw, the Football League).

Last edited:

as you say, average favoured teams that scored fewer goals.
That was only true for teams at the top. For relegation issues, i.e. in cases of negative identical goal difference, the higher scorers had the advantage. The fact that you could improve your goal average by losing (and vice versa) showed the system's illogicality.

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Thanks - Rothmans is a better guide than my memory. Of course it was at Palace. They played well that day. My Huddersfield-supporting mate was well chuffed, though it didn't last long. Did Frank score at all?

No, sorry. Lawson, Cherry and Mahoney.

Cardiff scored one more goal and conceded one more; under current rules they would be champions, having scored more.
I didn't know it was that close; always assumed the closest was in 1988-89 when Arsenal's unlikely 2-0 victory at Anfield in the last match won it, whereas a 1-0 victory would have resulted in their opponents becoming champions instead.
1548126790972.jpg

SAC

May 21, 2014
I didn't know it was that close; always assumed the closest was in 1988-89 when Arsenal's unlikely 2-0 victory at Anfield in the last match won it, whereas a 1-0 victory would have resulted in their opponents becoming champions instead.
View attachment 103972

That's quite a table. Forest, Norwich, Derby and Coventry in the top 7.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That was only true for teams at the top. For relegation issues, i.e. in cases of negative identical goal difference, the higher scorers had the advantage. The fact that you could improve your goal average by losing (and vice versa) showed the system's illogicality.

Yes, good point.

It was a bizarre system and, in the days before calculators, made it hard to work out where your team was in the league

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Back then we did mental arithmetic - it was even taught in schools!

Ha. A couple of years ago, I bought two items at 75p and I had trouble paying for them as "the till was broken and someone else was using the calculator". So, yes, people would have had problems in working out goal averages in their head.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ha. A couple of years ago, I bought two items at 75p and I had trouble paying for them as "the till was broken and someone else was using the calculator". So, yes, people would have had problems in working out goal averages in their head.

"A couple of years ago", yes, I can believe that degree of numerical ineptitude. Goal average was dispensed with more than a generation ago, not two years!

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
"A couple of years ago", yes, I can believe that degree of numerical ineptitude. Goal average was dispensed with more than a generation ago, not two years!

You're missing the point. Yes, some people could work out averages in their head (I can as well) but the vast majority of people couldn't - we're talking about a time when most people left school at 16 and having even a couple of O levels was relatively rare.

I remember adverts about 30 years ago aimed at encouraging adults to take numeracy classes - that implies that there was a big problem with maths skills back then

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You're missing the point. Yes, some people could work out averages in their head (I can as well) but the vast majority of people couldn't - we're talking about a time when most people left school at 16 and having even a couple of O levels was relatively rare.

I remember adverts about 30 years ago aimed at encouraging adults to take numeracy classes - that implies that there was a big problem with maths skills back then
I'm not missing the point at all. Numeracy levels were much higher than they are now (nobody had calculators). All shop assistants - plus booking clerks, bus conductors, etc, - had to be able to add up. And this was in pounds, shillings and pence too, with half pennies involved (and up to 1960, quarter pennies too).

And never mind O' levels and leaving school at 15 - unless you had genuine learning difficulties you'd know your times tables before you left primary school at 11 - you spent probably half an hour reciting them every morning!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The fact that you could improve your goal average by losing (and vice versa) showed the system's illogicality.
Presumably you don't improve your average by losing, you improve it by completing the game, and losing would be less good for your average than drawing or winning. Obviously at the end of the season all teams have completed the same number of games. They were just rewarding teams that let in fewer goals.

Presumably you don't improve your average by losing, you improve it by completing the game, and losing would be less good for your average than drawing or winning. Obviously at the end of the season all teams have completed the same number of games. They were just rewarding teams that let in fewer goals.
Not sure what you're saying there but take this example: You've conceded twice as many as you've scored but then go and lose 2-3.The revised ratio is slightly improved whereas if you had lost 2-4, it would be unchanged.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure what you're saying there but take this example: You've conceded twice as many as you've scored but then go and lose 2-3.The revised ratio is slightly improved whereas if you had lost 2-4, it would be unchanged.
Yeah, so you haven't been rewarded for losing, your average would have been improved more had you won or drawn, and losing 2-3 isn't as bad as losing 2-4, so it makes sense it's better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here