Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Thanks to Diogo Jota on Saturday Albion now hold a new top flight record

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Cardiff's Len Davies missed a late penalty in the final match of the season, a 0-0 draw at Birmingham. Their final goal average was 0.024 worse than that of Huddersfield, who beat Nottingham Forest 3-0. Cardiff scored one more goal and conceded one more; under current rules they would be champions, having scored more.
Source: https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/looking-back-1924-cardiff-city-2504565

He scored 8 hat-tricks for Cardiff, the one he scored in January 1922 (in a 6-3 win over Bradford City) being Cardiff's first ever in Division 1 (and, btw, the Football League).

My dad's uncle. So he would have been my great uncle.

True story.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not necessarily. If you'd drawn the match 0-0 instead, your goal average would have been unchanged and therefore slightly inferior to the GA improved by the 2-3 defeat.
Oh, so were league positions determined by the ratio of goals scored to goals conceded?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Exactly so. I've no idea why the system wasn't called 'goal ratio'.
Wow - it's actually possible for you to win a match and it be more harmful to your 'goal average' than had you lost! That's so ****ed up.

My apologies for doubting you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here