Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong & March

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Because March used to be a quick, exciting, winger with a great shot and who used to embarrass defenders, leaving players on their arse and creating loads of scoring opportunities. Nowadays I fail to see what he brings to the team in any sense apart from his defensive duties, which as I said, is not what I'd generally prioritise in one of my 3 genuine attackers on the pitch. For the record I like Bong.

Are you actually saying:-

'he doesn't run past full internationals, Premier League, Champions League and World Cup winning, players like he used to do against the best Rotherham and Burton could muster?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

'he doesn't run past full internationals, Premier League, Champions League and World Cup winning, players like he used to do against the best Rotherham and Burton could muster?

I think you have just answered his question.......not up to taking better players on.(although I think with more self belief he could)

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think you have just answered his question.......not up to taking better players on.(although I think with more self belief he could)
Can you please list the players that do regularly run past the opposition...

...and stay on their feet?

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean

Exactly this. Remember how Knocky took Man United apart last season when we beat them 1-0? He embarrassed many of their Premier League, Champions League and World Cup winning players. Whilst I take the point that Knocky is inconsistent, I can't imagine March putting in a performance like that against Premier League opposition, let alone a team like Man United.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
So we're now championing inconsistency, that'll end well.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Can you please list the players that do regularly run past the opposition...

...and stay on their feet?

I am not saying many wingers do constantly go flying past full backs but it is not all about flying past them, March needs to back himself to try it more because the odd time he does and he looks a different player. The thing is he is seems to lack the confidence a lot of the time, a classic example was when he was through on goal against Arsenal but he never backed himself to lob the keeper then and was not even close.
I have seen articles from our players about how good he is in training and the unbelievable things he does which is probably another reason Hughton sticks by him.He just needs some of knockys self belief.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I am not saying many wingers do constantly go flying past full backs but it is not all about flying past them, March needs to back himself to try it more because the odd time he does and he looks a different player. The thing is he is seems to lack the confidence a lot of the time, a classic example was when he was through on goal against Arsenal but he never backed himself to lob the keeper then and was not even close.
I have seen articles from our players about how good he is in training and the unbelievable things he does which is probably another reason Hughton sticks by him.He just needs some of knockys self belief.

While I agree with the broader points you make, I'm now left somewhat bemused as March is being criticized for not scoring a near impossible one out of a hundred chance v Arsenal.

Alluding to your point I wouldn't have been putting money on him scoring had he not been hauled back v Chelsea, either.
But then again he has only scored 9 professional goals EVER, which not only nods to your point but also mine that being:-

'what do you actually expect?'

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

I wonder if Hughton, Trollope and Nevin stand on the touchline at training and sigh at March's every error and boo him when he makes mistakes then go back to the boot room with a cuppa and give him five out of ten? I suspect not.

This is a Sussex boy playing for the Albion in the Premier League* and - a radical thought here - might just respond better to encouragement and a roar of enthusiasm when he gets the ball at the Amex than mutterings of discontent.

Okay, if the players see a much better player in training then that could be because he's not as likely to get clattered there and might be playing against his mates rather than people who would prefer to see him in row Z. But it could be that he's in a more supportive environment than we're providing at the Amex.

* and who scored the goal that put us there, lest we forget ...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

:goal:

Nail hit firmly on head. March (but equally Knockeart, Bruno) aren’t able to dominate opponents with their creative talent, simply because they’re up against far better opponents, organised by better managers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here