Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong & March

LVGull

May 13, 2016
Our weakest players by far.

I know Bong is only playing as Bernado is injured, but I'd be tempted to play Bruno on the left Bong is that poor. And how March keeps playing ahead of Knocky is beyond me.

Both Bong & March today looked bereft of ideas going forward and were always looking to break down our attcks by hesitancy, sideways passing or just plain not beimg able to see a pass.

There was one moment today where March had about 3 opportunities to pull the trigger on the edge of their box but instead just kept going sideways until a Man U player nicked the ball off him.

Cool
Story
Junior

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I thought Bong and March had decent games today :shrug:
I didn't think March or Gross had the best of games but they were coming up against Pogba. Rashford and Martial down that side regularly so if was always going to be a difficult day for him Montoya and Gross down that side of the pitch.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I know Bong is only playing as Bernado is injured, but I'd be tempted to play Bruno on the left Bong is that poor. And how March keeps playing ahead of Knocky is beyond me.

Both Bong & March today looked bereft of ideas going forward and were always looking to break down our attcks by hesitancy, sideways passing or just plain not beimg able to see a pass.

There was one moment today where March had about 3 opportunities to pull the trigger on the edge of their box but instead just kept going sideways until a Man U player nicked the ball off him.

And don’t forget about Stephens. He just passes the ball sideays and backwards all the time.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Dear oh dear. Bong was excellent today and a real outlet going forward, winning two or theee corners in the first half.

He made a couple of mistakes in the second half but no more than anyone else, and considering he hasn’t played a huge amount of football I thought he played well.

Why people continue to criticise one of our most dependable players is beyond me. He never lets us down.

Stumpy Tim

March was so frustrating today to be fair. There's definitely a player in there, but his decision making was shocking today... chose the wrong option almost every time. His close control and his defensive work are exemplary, and his delivery has improved this season, but he now needs to work on decision making.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Dear oh dear. Bong was excellent today and a real outlet going forward, winning two or theee corners in the first half.

He made a couple of mistakes in the second half but no more than anyone else, and considering he hasn’t played a huge amount of football I thought he played well.

Why people continue to criticise one of our most dependable players is beyond me. He never lets us down.

Penalty?

Just saying

stingray

Jan 23, 2018
agreed. Bong is a plodder, not good enough at this level, far too many critical errors . Solly honest but a bit limited too, no real stand out qualities. Bernado and Knocky every time for me.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
One of the most frustrating things for me watching that game was that whenever we got gong up the pitch with some good flowing movements the ball went to Bong, who should have got rid of it in a couple of moves, but his boots are made of chewing gum and whilst he ponces around with it all the opposition players are back to defend.
It happened all the time.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
One of the most frustrating things for me watching that game was that whenever we got gong up the pitch with some good flowing movements the ball went to Bong, who should have got rid of it in a couple of moves, but his boots are made of chewing gum and whilst he ponces around with it all the opposition players are back to defend.
It happened all the time.

Did that sound a lot better in your head then it appears on screen?

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
And don’t forget about Stephens. He just passes the ball sideays and backwards all the time.

It's unlike you to propagate rubbish and be biased in any way.

Propper: 80.1% Success.

Propper.PNG

Stephens: 81.7% Success.

Stephens.png

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Quite. I presume then that you would agree that our manager knows f*** all about football because he keeps on picking them. OK, he gets his team winning enough points to keep them afloat in probably the toughest league in world football, but hey, we all know that's just luck, eh?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018

New to watching football hey! Very funny.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
:dunce: Really? WTF? We also look more likely to concede with Knocky on the pitch. March had so many balls pinged across field at him chest height today, yet he brought every single one of them down and retained possession. Rarely gave the ball away and looked a threat cutting inside. Knocky did similar but no better, he also played two shit corners in that barely beat the first man, and totally over hit two free kicks right at the death. And Knocky also lost the ball needlessly when we had a decent break on towards the end. See it is easy to pick holes in a players performance if you want to.

You see what you want to see by the evidence of this post. Both Knockaert and March have flaws at this level but both are Premier League standard players, to label March as not up to this standard but hailing Knockaert you are just showing your bias, imo.

Fair enough. I definitely am a bit biased due to my sentimental love for Knocky and how much March winds me up, but either way I fail to see how March can ever be a better option. The thing that irritates me most about March is that he could be a very good player but he never, ever seems to show it, when was the last time he actually ran at a full back for example? Or had a genuinely dangerous effort from outside the box? He showed he had these attributes in the championship so why does he NEVER play with any real dangerous attacking intent now? He's not bad at defending, but that's not really what I look for in our right winger in a 4-3-3 to be honest. Knockaert can be wasteful, but at least he tries to make things happen; and it can't be denied how much more likely to score we were as soon as he was substituted on. Hopefully Jahanbakhsh can eventually be the one to really take us up a level in that position.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fair enough. I definitely am a bit biased due to my sentimental love for Knocky and how much March winds me up, but either way I fail to see how March can ever be a better option. The thing that irritates me most about March is that he could be a very good player but he never, ever seems to show it, when was the last time he actually ran at a full back for example? Or had a genuinely dangerous effort from outside the box? He showed he had these attributes in the championship so why does he NEVER play with any real dangerous attacking intent now? He's not bad at defending, but that's not really what I look for in our right winger in a 4-3-3 to be honest. Knockaert can be wasteful, but at least he tries to make things happen. Hopefully Jahanbakhsh can eventually be the one to really take us up a level in that position.

I still can't get my head around this 'not the player he should be' argument .

Why can't posters accept March (& Bong for that matter) for the players they actually are?

What possible reason or right do you have to project other attributes on to players?

OvingdeanSeagull

Jul 8, 2012
Ovingdean
I still can't get my head around this 'not the player he should be' argument .

Why can't posters accept March (& Bong for that matter) for the players they actually are?

What possible reason or right do you have to project other attributes on to players?

Because March used to be a quick, exciting, winger with a great shot and who used to embarrass defenders, leaving players on their arse and creating loads of scoring opportunities. Nowadays I fail to see what he brings to the team in any sense apart from his defensive duties, which as I said, is not what I'd generally prioritise in one of my 3 genuine attackers on the pitch. For the record I like Bong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here