Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bong and Some of Our Fans

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The people around me in the WSU regularly call Bong, and others, shit and other such terms of the same and worse level. Even Hughton is not immune. It's incredibly frustrating to be surrounded by such negativity all the time. Good seat, though.

One of the biggest negatives of getting to the PL is the expectations and behaviour of some of our “newer” fans. I wonder what they would have said about Ashley Neal, Mark Farringdon, Richard Tiltman and Stafford Browne, to name a few.

Picking on your 2-3 weakest players and having a moan-up is not a Prem thing. People did this in League 2

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
Bong was excellent against Liverpool but like many players we see, he can be inconsistent and get caught out (including Montoya on the other side).

Let's not forget he is alongside two of the most reliable centre backs in the league and both Bong and Montoya will often look second rate in comparison.

All the time he wears the stripes I will support him.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
I think Bong had a decent game. Poor for the foul leading to the penalty, but otherwise was good going forward.

Even where we're at today, we can't expect to have two top quality left backs yet. Bong is a good back up for us and has done a lot for the club.

It's pretty key that though - giving away a penalty. Second time he's done it this season in a handful of starts. I want better from a back up left back.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Picking on your 2-3 weakest players and having a moan-up is not a Prem thing. People did this in League 2

Of course, but it seems to have degenerated from taking the pee/giving a player a volley to something much more personal and abusive. Perhaps some people’s vocabulary is more limited these days.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Of course, but it seems to have degenerated from taking the pee/giving a player a volley to something much more personal and abusive. Perhaps some people’s vocabulary is more limited these days.

Abusers able to hide in a larger crowd?

At Withdean when we openly moaned about Hoyte, it stood out like a sore thumb, so it was tempered.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
I really do miss the old days of the proper fans, running the gauntlet at away games the Doc and his Tesco bag, 300 of us huddled at some northern shithole you could even go by yourself and still have a good day out. I often wonder what happened to this fine group of people as I hardly spot a friendly face at the Amex these days. New fans will never experience those wonderful away days that provided me with so many memories. It’s not what it was and will never be again.

True story regarding this Albion-supporting legend

Lived in Yorkshire 1999-2001, which was handy as hell as loads of our games were within a 2 hour radius (Hartlepool away on a Wednesday, no problems, less than 90 mins drive away!!) Anyway, took friends from work (Man Utd and Sunderland fans, proper ones by the way) to Darlington away and they saw said old boy with Tesco bag in the away end to much amusement. Fast forward 2 years later and we were sitting in a real-ale pub in Shipley, near Bradford, before the game and the conversation got onto "Do you remember that old man with the bag, jacket and NHS glasses?" And who should walk in precisely at that point?!!!! Was so surreal!!

Realise this post has nowt to do with United away or half and half scarves but your post Justice has brought back happy memories of watching BHA away 20 years ago

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
For the 1st one you want to sit near me in WSU and listen to the old boy behind me. Every player has been shit so far this year even when they have had a good game.

H block right? That geezer is a ****ing idiot, the moron from Kent. Has a go at everyone if we aren't winning after 15 minutes.

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
It's pretty key that though - giving away a penalty. Second time he's done it this season in a handful of starts. I want better from a back up left back.
OK - so we will forget about other players giving away penalty's so far: Murray's handball, Kayal's lunge, Gross's trip, Bruno's error, Bagoen foul also. Oh and Duffys stupid sending off! Yet as its Bong, he gets slated.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
OK - so we will forget about other players giving away penalty's so far: Murray's handball, Kayal's lunge, Gross's trip, Bruno's error, Bagoen foul also. Oh and Duffys stupid sending off! Yet as its Bong, he gets slated.

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that, none of those players are called Bong

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009

Thanks London, saved me writing the same.

Fwiw I don't think anyone on this thread is condoning what these so called fans were doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Thanks London, saved me writing the same.

Fwiw I don't think anyone on this thread is condoning what these so called fans were doing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its not even the real weakest players. I remember a player played out of position and didnt like a challenge being hated on by a large number of fans. Many couldnt see the quality of his shots on goal through their rabid hatred. He ended up a decent striker, clue is in my user name.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well, as I have said before, in the 1970s I stopped standing with the old man in the West terrace, and moved to the South Stand, because I could not put up, any more, with his incessant twatitudinous barracking of Harry Wilson. Fact.

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Nothing wrong with that, none of those players are called Bong

True but has he ever assisted, scored or stopped a certain goal? No. Has he scored Murrays goals? No. Has he scored the winner against Newcastle and assisted one against West Ham (Kayal) completely off his own pressing and crossing? No. Has he scored against Palace (Balogen)? No. Has he scored against Man Utd away and had 4 assists (Gross)? No. Has he scored three and had 2 assists while making an incredible number of blocks and clearences (Duffy)?. No. They contribute in key areas which give us POINTS. They have made the difference. I know it's harder from full back but Bong makes up the numbers. Hes by no means the worse LB in the league but he has and will costs us more points than any of his play will gain. I hope and think he will do well in the cup next week but really want Bernardo back.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
One of the biggest negatives of getting to the PL is the expectations and behaviour of some of our “newer” fans. I wonder what they would have said about Ashley Neal, Mark Farringdon, Richard Tiltman and Stafford Browne, to name a few.

Are they newer fans though?

I think it's more likely that they are people who have seen an awful lot of games and therefore lost the enthusiasm and enjoyment of going, but now feel that if we do not win (no matter how well we play or who we are playing against) then we were really poor and the players need shipping out (hence why they want all out attacking football, because they want entertainment and not what is best for the team and the club)

They are the sort that would only be happy if Bong plays like Messi at his prime when attacking, and like the best defenders in the world when defending, anything less to them is unacceptable rather than seeing the players in the team for what they are, and what they are capable of doing and judging them accordingly

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Shit thread, this. Seriously.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Paying the bills