Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Crystal Palace open up Selhurst Park for Emergency Accommodation

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
was going to say, the facilities exist and available, for some they dont want to use for many complex reasons. last week on TV someone following rough sleepers in Liverpool, asked one why not using a hostel and he said doesn't want to be with drunks and violence there. i assume you cant drink and violent people are ejected, but he wont go there out of fear of this.

When I did some volunteering at a homeless shelter, I asked them this. There are also quite a few who have dogs and some shelters won't allow animals. One told me he'd rather sleep outside with his dog, than inside without.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
They are just going to steal all the cardboard boxes of them as they walk in for their new cladding. Should be a good fit as most will be rotten and smelly

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Lots of good banter on this thread but well played Palace, any organisation that opens it doors to the less well off and who need a warmer environment deserve credit. Would you open your doors to drunks, druggies, down and outs and beggars or/ and people down on their luck?. Fair play to them.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One way of boosting your attendance I guess...

(No but seriously, well done them, credit where it's due)

clockend1983

Apr 1, 2010
So Palace are opening up parts of Selhurst as Emergency Accommodation for Rough Sleepers in their area.

In what promises to be another savage winter should the Albion be doing the same? There's a lot of space at the Amex that could be utilised

Well done Palace very altruistic of you all....or is it?
Will you be locking them in so they have to watch the games?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
St Peters church combined with Emmanuel Church also run a night shelter.

yes its across various churches 7 days a week from October until around March. They put up 15 people at a time with a fairly strict referral process. It's been going for over 5 years now and they extend the amount of time each year by a little bit (last year was because of our very cold march). It's proved successful in terms of helping people find permanent accommodation, and in fact 2 people have been given awards for the most "progressed" homeless person in the country having stayed there for a period. In fact one of the people running it this year was staying there as a guest only a few years ago.

The difference with churches is that they a) have access to large buildings and b) a large back of willing volunteers, which is what I imagine puts off other organisations.

I see the one at Selhurst houses 'only' 10 people, I imagine a lot of this is due to staffing. You need to get your ratios right as it can be irresponsible not to when housing groups of potentially vulnerable adults

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Well done Palace very altruistic of you all....or is it?
Will you be locking them in so they have to watch the games?

Crickey12 posts in 9 years. Clock end in 1983 Was indeed a great place to be. 26k of us there.......few weeks before in the league game the whole crowd was only 17k at Highbury if I remember rightly.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Good on them, I cannot imagine how truly awful it must be to homeless at any time of the year but when it’s this cold it must be even worse. This is the one and only time I will not take a chance to have a pop at them.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Would you open your doors to drunks, druggies, down and outs and beggars or/ and people down on their luck?.

Isn't that their transfer policy?

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Good effort. Can't fault helping any number of people...especially given how cold it's getting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here