Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Micro pubs / ale houses in central Brighton

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
you're rarely more than about 15 yards from one in central brighton

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
No micros in town yet. Try the wonderful Watchmakers in Hove. Or stay on the bus/return to Worthing which is littered with them.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I thought the Foghorn on Boundary Road was pretty good with a micro-pub vibe. 700 will stop 5 mins walk from there

A bit out of town though. Shocking that a place with as many drinking options as Brighton doesn't have one right in the town though

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Hop off at Southwick and head for the Square, where you will find the Beer Engine (where the old travel agents used to be, almost next to Barclays).

I poked my head round the corner the other week and it looks like a nice place. Not for me obvs, there were too many beards. But a mate of mine is a proper real/craft ale snob and he raves about it.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I thought the Foghorn on Boundary Road was pretty good with a micro-pub vibe. 700 will stop 5 mins walk from there

A bit out of town though. Shocking that a place with as many drinking options as Brighton doesn't have one right in the town though

Owned by a Brighton Season Ticket holder as well, lovely bloke and great place to go for a drink too. It's not me by the way.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a micro pub and a pub? Or an ale house and a pub? Aren't they all the same thing?

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Does the pub along from the Windmill towards the clock tower count? Think it used to be called the Princess Victoria

Then there's the Quadrant, that's pretty 'micro' inside

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a micro pub and a pub? Or an ale house and a pub? Aren't they all the same thing?

I think a micro pub is a bit like a pop-up shop.

An ale house is a proper pub and a pub does loads of over priced food and lets children in

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Excuse my ignorance but what's the difference between a micro pub and a pub?

Broadly speaking, a micro pub is a very small pub, often in a small premises which wasn’t a pub before, often with limited opening hours, often with just beer ie no music or anything, often run by local enthusiasts, often with a local community vibe. Small, no music, limited opening, local are often the very things which enabled them to get a license as it’s different from a regular pub. I keep saying “often” as there are exceptions to these rule. These were the characteristics when this scene started but it’s becoming more blurred these days.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micropub

Worthing is a hot bed of such places.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside a bunch of us in here got together 7 years ago with a view to opening one in or around Brighton. That would have been fun.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I think a micro pub is a bit like a pop-up shop.

An ale house is a proper pub and a pub does loads of over priced food and lets children in

Well, if you're looking for a proper pub in Brighton, the Mitre in Baker St is the best bet - it's like stepping back to the 70s (but without the cigarette smoke). The Great Eastern in Trafalgar St is also pretty old school

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Well, if you're looking for a proper pub in Brighton, the Mitre in Baker St is the best bet - it's like stepping back to the 70s (but without the cigarette smoke). The Great Eastern in Trafalgar St is also pretty old school

The Mitre has changed :nono:

The Great Eastern is good, they play great retro music

Knightsworld

Aug 19, 2003
WSU, just below the seagull.
Hop off at Southwick and head for the Square, where you will find the Beer Engine (where the old travel agents used to be, almost next to Barclays).

I poked my head round the corner the other week and it looks like a nice place. Not for me obvs, there were too many beards. But a mate of mine is a proper real/craft ale snob and he raves about it.

Cracking little boozer. Superb range of ales and craft beers. Even got a couple of nice German lagers on draught that are much better than Fosters etc.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here