Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we a really dirty team?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Hughton is our worst offender have you scene the disgusting scenes on the touchline, utter disgrace..:ban:

Quite right, what a menace.

Stoke-City-v-Norwich-City-Premier-League.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Murray does tend to arch his back and thus give away free kicks a lot but I don't think our fouls are malicious in any way. We see too many so called 'professional' fouls where a big name brings down Knocky or Solly and walk away with a yellow.

I also see fouls like raking studs down Solly's achilles where the other player is already on a yellow, but walks away with nothing.

Referees are not consistent, shock horror.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
We are definitely 'robust', there is no hiding from that.

And I absolutely love it.

For me it is pure commitment rather than a cynical approach to kicking our way through a game. This season especially though, none of our opponents are leaving the field without knowing they've been in game.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We’re too bloody soft if you ask me. I’d have been all over Salah’s dodgy shoulder, getting the team to foul Zaha in rotation, put Rashford through the advertising hoardings and trodden on Kane’s ankle at a goal kick.....all unintentionally of course.

The beautiful game.

:)

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I think of a team being dirty if they foul as a tactic. If the aim is a foul. If the tackle is bad or dangerous. I don't think we do any of those any more than any other team. Certainly less than some. When was the last time we made a tackle that was bang out of order?

The Liverpool fans that I know moaned like bitches about us being too physical and dirty. I was genuinely perplexed. The soft as shite fannies.

Langley

Mar 10, 2008
Waltham Chase, Hants
Ref's don't seem to like our 'firm' approach to tackling. Nobody told our guys the premier league is a non-contact league

We seem to be penalised for too many powderpuff incidents, that opponents end up writhing on the ground.
90%of these so called fouls end up with the culprit merrily going on his way as if nothing had happened,
Refs need to sort out the cheating, which surprisingly seems more prevalent in the top 6 teams.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
TBH most teams don't have 6 teams in their league who are awarded free kicks by default every time one of their players throws themselves on the floor.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Depends who we play.

The players were clearly under instructions to get in the faces of Liverpool, give them no space, upset their rhythm, etc. Same with ManU.

But against ManC and Chelsea the players show so much reverance and back off.

Separately, Murray is not a dirty player. Combative centre forwards are often the most fouled and the highest fouling players. Whistlers having a field day over every innocuous coming together. Kevin Davies at Bolton topped those two PL stats season after season.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Not notorious, no. But I remember in seasons gone by when we were in the old Div 1 and 2, we would have spells where two or three of our players get sent off or suspended for >5 yellow cards over a few short weeks. It's just one of those things, I like that aggressive style of play and it shows that we're not pushovers. I think some people's perception of 'dirty' is different from others'.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd say the primary reason for this stat is because in so many games, particularly against the big teams, and particularly against the big teams away from home, we are usually set up to accede territory and possession to them and play in our own half in an attempt to stay solid, keep our shape, and still be in the game with 20-30 minutes to go. The result is that this inevitably leads to an awful lot of niggly fouls on our part. We're not a team of cloggers - our most booked player this season is Kayal, who is on 4 (there are 27 "dirtier" players ahead of him in the PL this season in terms of yellows), and we have only had 2 reds this season.

Are we a dirty team then ? Not really. But when your default position is (usually) to stay back, this is the inevitable result.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think of a team being dirty if they foul as a tactic. If the aim is a foul. If the tackle is bad or dangerous. I don't think we do any of those any more than any other team. Certainly less than some. When was the last time we made a tackle that was bang out of order?

The Liverpool fans that I know moaned like bitches about us being too physical and dirty. I was genuinely perplexed. The soft as shite fannies.

For me, it was Stephens' red against Cardiff. I know others disagree. Dunk's second yellow against Bournemouth was somewhat agricultural, but certainly not out of order.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I'd say the primary reason for this stat is because in so many games, particularly against the big teams, and particularly against the big teams away from home, we are usually set up to accede territory and possession to them and play in our own half in an attempt to stay solid, keep our shape, and still be in the game with 20-30 minutes to go. The result is that this inevitably leads to an awful lot of niggly fouls on our part. We're not a team of cloggers - our most booked player this season is Kayal, who is on 4 (there are 27 "dirtier" players ahead of him in the PL this season in terms of yellows), and we have only had 2 reds this season.

Are we a dirty team then ? Not really. But when your default position is (usually) to stay back, this is the inevitable result.

Three: Stephens, Duffy, Dunk (two yellows, well, one really).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here