Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester Piccadilly to Old Trafford

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Looking at options from getting from Piccadilly to the ground tomorrow. My plan is to get the tram to Salford Quays and walk across the bridge.

Anyone got any good advice about the best way of doing this journey (and the return trip to the station)? Is the train a better option, or is there a better tram route I should be considering?

Seen a few bits and pieces online but thought NSC wisdom might be more useful. Thanks.

el punal

Walk from Piccadilly station past Piccadilly Gardens - to Market Street tram stop. (10 minute walk). Take a tram (Altrincham line) to Old Trafford (the cricket ground). Did that last season only in reverse after the game, should take about 20 minutes.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
The other way i would recommend is - from Piccadilly - tram to media city U.K. have a pint /food in the large Tramway pub (lots of craft ales , ciders etc ) - then walk over the bridge to Old Trafford just before KO - it’s a short walk - only 5-10 mins.

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
The other way i would recommend is - from Piccadilly - tram to media city U.K. have a pint /food in the large Tramway pub (lots of craft ales , ciders etc ) - then walk over the bridge to Old Trafford just before KO - it’s a short walk - only 5-10 mins.

Yes, might do that actually, and show Media City to the young'un. I actually find the place quite impressive.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Walk from Piccadilly station past Piccadilly Gardens - to Market Street tram stop. (10 minute walk). Take a tram (Altrincham line) to Old Trafford (the cricket ground). Did that last season only in reverse after the game, should take about 20 minutes.

How long was the wait for a tram at Old Trafford after the game?

el punal

Yes, might do that actually, and show Media City to the young'un. I actually find the place quite impressive.

I’m taking my ten year old grandson for his first ever Albion away game. I really want him to enjoy the whole away day experience so that suggestion of Media City sounds brilliant. Three points would also help as well! :thumbsup:

house your seagull

Train à Grande Vitesse
Jul 7, 2004
Manchester
I’m taking my ten year old grandson for his first ever Albion away game. I really want him to enjoy the whole away day experience so that suggestion of Media City sounds brilliant. Three points would also help as well! :thumbsup:

The trams are very busy and obviously raucous so be aware of that. Perhaps a trip to the excellent Imperial War Museum North (also at MC) would add some light-hearted relief before the live massacre at OT?

Monkey Man

Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I’m taking my ten year old grandson for his first ever Albion away game. I really want him to enjoy the whole away day experience so that suggestion of Media City sounds brilliant. Three pints would also help as well! :thumbsup:

As the saying goes ... "corrected for you" ...:cheers:

el punal

How long was the wait for a tram at Old Trafford after the game?

Not too bad. On a par with trains at Falmer. By the time we walked (10 minutes) from Old Trafford to Old Trafford (cricket ground that is!) joined the queues maybe a 20 minute wait. Then about 20 minutes to get to Piccadilly Station. I would allow an hour, to be on the safe side, to leave the ground and get to Piccadilly.

Albion_Dave

Jul 4, 2011
Eastbourne
Not too bad. On a par with trains at Falmer. By the time we walked (10 minutes) from Old Trafford to Old Trafford (cricket ground that is!) joined the queues maybe a 20 minute wait. Then about 20 minutes to get to Piccadilly Station. I would allow an hour, to be on the safe side, to leave the ground and get to Piccadilly.

Thanks.

On the 18.35 out of Piccadilly so sounds plenty of time.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
Last season I got the train from Piccadilly to Manchester United Football Ground station which is near the away end. Was easy enough getting there and getting back to Piccadilly. Only problem is I think Northern Rail are on strike tomorrow so not sure how that effects trains & trams.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006

whats the pub called? the Tramway?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Why not just get on the tram at Piccadilly station ???

el punal

Why not just get on the tram at Piccadilly station ???

Just had a quick check on the tram site map and it appears you can go from Piccadilly to Old Trafford. Sorry!

When we did the return journey last season the tram we were on took a different route via St.Peter’s Square and Market Street not Piccadilly. That’s the locals for you, followed their advice!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Are trains running from Piccadilly to the MUFC Football Ground on Saturday ?

Or are they cancelled due to a Northern Rail strike

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here