Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Volunteers required

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would have been an older employee, but it was Johnny Gapper as Jevs has said! I'm still young at heart though!!

I just googled John Gapper. What a legend, as a young man in the 60’s when everyone else was obsessed with herbicides and insecticides in gardening/horticulture, he quietly went the other way. Developing a love for native flora and downland butterflies.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11591350.the-green-man-of-sussex/

A real environmental hero.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
I just googled John Gapper. What a legend, as a young man in the 60’s when everyone else was obsessed with herbicides and insecticides in gardening/horticulture, he quietly went the other way. Developing a love for native flora and downland butterflies.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11591350.the-green-man-of-sussex/

A real environmental hero.

I've had the please of working with John for many many years. I have learnt so much from him in that time and i'll forever be in his debt. Total legend

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
The plants were propagated by a wonderful gardener called John Gapper. He's been with the parks dept since the year dot and what John doesn't know about wildflowers isn't worth knowing.

The nursery has been taken over by Plumpton College. Although some of the glasshouses will be lost, many will be retained. I think the old walled kitchen garden will be somewhat restored and a learning centre put in.

I was privileged to work at the nursery as a work experience lad from school, a trainee on the parks and as a nurseryman where I eventually took over the beautiful tropical palm house and orangery. Luckily, I saw the nursery during the "good old days" when growers were very experienced nurserymen.

Happy days

During the war............

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here