Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Theresa May - worst Prime Minister for 50 years?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But she didn't have to - so why should be accorded any sympathy, at least on those grounds.
Who said anything about sympathy? The question is whether she's the worst PM, and Tim made the point that she's having to deal with the worst economic and political situation in years. TB is suggesting that doesn't matter, as she chose to, which doesn't make sense.

Whomever was PM now would be doing a bad job, because of the situation the UK is in. Now sure you can debate how much better or worse other people would have done, but to suggest that the situation isn't relevant because she chose to take the job is just daft.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Anyone who is a Remainer at heart must be nice! Seriously though, take her away from politics and she is probably a very different person.

Take Charlie Manson away from Hollywood and acid and he's a top lad.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Who said anything about sympathy? The question is whether she's the worst PM, and Tim made the point that she's having to deal with the worst economic and political situation in years.

But it wasn't the worst political and economic situation for years. that's the point. Brown took over just after the collapse of much of the world's banking system and with the very real prospect of a British bank going bust. To a certain extent, Cameron had to deal with that too.

In contrast, May took over as the economy was recovering and showing signs of growth and, unlike the previous PM, had a workable parliamentary majority. She actually took over at relatively stable time.

As for the worst situation in the last 50 years: Callaghan took over when the country was in hock to the IMF, had inflation running at 20+%, had a civil war on his doorstep and had to manage a party that was on the verge of splitting apart. All of which he had to deal with while having no parliamentary majority. I can't believe any PM would have to deal with that sort of mess again.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Brown also had the foot and mouth outbreak to contend with, one week after he took the job on.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Take Charlie Manson away from Hollywood and acid and he's a top lad.
I bet if you take May away from politics she's still an insufferable, boring, know nothing about the real world, shit dancing, bollocks talking, insincere **** who wouldn't understand the idea of having fun if you shoved a cornfield up her arse.

Charlie on the other hand....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I bet if you take May away from politics she's still an insufferable, boring, know nothing about the real world, shit dancing, bollocks talking, insincere **** who wouldn't understand the idea of having fun if you shoved a cornfield up her arse.

Perfectly normal.

perfectly normal.jpg

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Who said anything about sympathy? The question is whether she's the worst PM, and Tim made the point that she's having to deal with the worst economic and political situation in years.
:lolol::lolol::lolol::lolol:

Yes, I can't think why I had you down as a very thinly veiled Tory sympathiser yesterday! "worst economic and political situation in years"!! pmsl

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Just waiting for Plan B which will be exactly the same as Plan A (other than being called Plan B)

Despite continually saying repeatedly 'in the national interest' she has put party and personal interest first.

And introduced a hostile environment against immigrants, windrush debacle, increased use of foodanks, divided the country but only says we must come together without any solution being offered, appointed and failed to sacked Chris Grayling, had an almost revolving door on cabinet members, only talks in soundbites..............

As much use as a chocolate exhaust

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

You just can't beat a spot of political maturity . .

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Still, she did bequeath to posterity that immortal phrase "No deal is better than a bad deal".

Being a bit of a pedant, I did wonder whether she was meaning that "no deal" is always better than any kind of bad deal. Or, alternatively, that there can be no deal that is better than a bad deal (ie a bad deal will always be best).

Whatever she meant, she very successfully "nego-si-ated" the baddest possible deal imaginable! Well done Theresa, trebles all round!

She also infamously coined 'Brexit means Brexit', still quite one of the most special quotes in history. I assume it was to assert, in her strong and stable view, quite how simple and obvious Brexit would be. And then spent the next 2 years of spectacular incompetence proving how wrong she was.

D

Deleted member 22389

Done the best job she can. Most other people would have walked months ago.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well yes I know, but you called it "a point" like it was a fact.
Seriously ??? It was his point, his opinion, I've not said my opinion and I'm clearly not claiming his opinion is fact.

I was simply saying that the fact that May chose to run for PM doesn't mean we can't take the current circumstances into account. When we judge all of our PMs, we can take into account the political climate at the time.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
But it wasn't the worst political and economic situation for years. that's the point.
That's a point, but it's not the point I was replying to. I was replying to the suggesting that it doesn't matter how bad the political and economic situation was, because she chose to do it, which is ridiculous.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here