Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Parking for the United game

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
It will be my first time going to Old Trafford this weekend, does anyone have suggestions for car parks, P&R, tram etc.etc.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Depends on what you want. If you're looking for a convenient P&R for getting to and away from Manchester, Sale Waterpark (Junction 6 off M60) is a good place as it will avoid most traffic issues. Regular trams (at least every 12 mins) from here to Trafford Bar take 10 mins, and this is less than 10 mins walk from Old Trafford. You can change trams at Trafford Bar to get a tram to Old Trafford tram stop, but don't bother, as it's only about 200m closer to the football stadium. After the game, go to Trafford Bar station again and get a tram that's going to the airport. This station has far less of a queue after the game, particularly for trams going away from the city centre.

The only downside to the above is if your party want to have a pint or two before the game, as I can't recommend any pubs in the vicinity of Old Trafford. An alternative is to park at the East Didsbury tram stop park and ride. This isn't quite as convenient from the motorway, but is also only about 10 mins to Trafford Bar and allows you to stop off for a pint at either Burton Road or Chorlton for some decent pre/post match pubs, also with the convenience of getting a tram away from the city centre after the game to avoid the bigger queue.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Use JustPark, I did last season and got a good space, 15 minute walk but very easy to get back to Motorway after

Used a space in Bedford Road, Manchester, it's on JustPark, bloody marvellous!

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Use JustPark, I did last season and got a good space, 15 minute walk but very easy to get back to Motorway after

Used a space in Bedford Road, Manchester, it's on JustPark, bloody marvellous!

I had forgotten about that option, it looks ideal. Thanks.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
Depends on what you want. If you're looking for a convenient P&R for getting to and away from Manchester, Sale Waterpark (Junction 6 off M60) is a good place as it will avoid most traffic issues. Regular trams (at least every 12 mins) from here to Trafford Bar take 10 mins, and this is less than 10 mins walk from Old Trafford. You can change trams at Trafford Bar to get a tram to Old Trafford tram stop, but don't bother, as it's only about 200m closer to the football stadium. After the game, go to Trafford Bar station again and get a tram that's going to the airport. This station has far less of a queue after the game, particularly for trams going away from the city centre.

The only downside to the above is if your party want to have a pint or two before the game, as I can't recommend any pubs in the vicinity of Old Trafford. An alternative is to park at the East Didsbury tram stop park and ride. This isn't quite as convenient from the motorway, but is also only about 10 mins to Trafford Bar and allows you to stop off for a pint at either Burton Road or Chorlton for some decent pre/post match pubs, also with the convenience of getting a tram away from the city centre after the game to avoid the bigger queue.
A decent pub on the City Centre side of Old Trafford is The Britons Protection. Famous old pub with Real Ale and a huge Whiskey collection. Near the site of the Peterloo massacre thus the name. Re parking NWGull has it nailed.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
A decent pub on the City Centre side of Old Trafford is The Britons Protection. Famous old pub with Real Ale and a huge Whiskey collection. Near the site of the Peterloo massacre thus the name. Re parking NWGull has it nailed.

Usually rammed but you can walk down the road to the Rain Bar and have a beer by the canal

I would agree with everything said before on parking. Better to park away from the ground and get a tram - it’s a nightmare getting out of local car parks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester

Slight edit to this: The tram from Sale Waterpark to Trafford Bar also goes through Chorlton for a potential pub stop station. Another possibility if you park up early enough is to get a return ticket into the city centre and drink there pre match, as getting a tram back out and getting off at Old Trafford prior to kick off wouldn't invalidate your return ticket back after the game to whichever P&R you chose. The trams from the city to Old Trafford and/or Trafford Bar will, of course, be rammed from about 1-30.

The Mole

Feb 20, 2004
Bowdon actually , Cheshire

Another option is to park up at Altrincham - very convenient for the M6. Old Trafford is on its tram route. You can park at the station.

There are plenty of good pubs - my favourite is the Cheshire Tap but there’s also Pi, the Belgium Bar and the market. The latter is a really good place for food.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I used the same driveway near Stretford booked via justpark.com for both games last season - was about a 30 min walk away, but saved at least double that. Private housing estate just off the A56 towards the motorway. Walked past stationary traffic almost all the way back and after getting back to the car was on the move straight away.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Check out the website I manage. It will have some information about travel, parking etc at Old Trafford.

The link is www.footballcities.co.uk If you find somewhere different decent to park let us know and we will add to our info.

Bones

Oct 25, 2006
Portslade
Another option is to park up at Altrincham - very convenient for the M6. Old Trafford is on its tram route. You can park at the station.

There are plenty of good pubs - my favourite is the Cheshire Tap but there’s also Pi, the Belgium Bar and the market. The latter is a really good place for food.
I've always done this. Literally jumped straight on a tram after FA cup game and back in car and away within 20 minutes

Sent from my STF-L09 using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We parked at old Trafford- the cricket ground last time I went up about 20 years ago.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Don’t do that!

The cricket ground car park is like a bigger and worse version of the Bridge....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Won't affect me as I haven't been away for three years now.

I have better things to do on Saturdays

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here