Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Favourite US City / Town

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Looking through some old holiday photos & found some of San Diego...my favourite destination in the States to date. Love the look and vibe of the whole place, as well as the weather of course!
Also have a soft spot for Williams, Arizona, on the old Route 66...real small old town feel with the typical main street running through it.

Just wondering what are peoples favourite places to visit in the USA?

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Lived here since the end of 2015 in Charlotte. Been to a lot of places before and since and Memphis is top followed very closely by New Orleans and Chicago.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Having travelled across the US a fair bit, NYC first. Chicago second, Venice Beach third.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Boston, San Fran, Seattle - in that order. NY is OK, but doesn't really offer anything more than London IMO. Many US cities are absolutely crap, you'd have to pay me to live in LA for example.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Although I'm based in the UK, I report directly to a firm headquartered in a small North Carolinian town. It's a lovely part of the world, and every trip I take there is enjoyable. I also like the area of California between San Francisco and the Oregon border (lots of friendly communities).

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
New York remains my favourite, although I think it's a lot more sanitised these days then when I first went in the mid 90s.

Boulder, Colorado would be my favourite smaller sized city. Food, beer, mountains and public toilets playing classical music, lovely.

Honourable mentions for San Francisco and Chicago

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Boston, San Fran, Seattle - in that order. NY is OK, but doesn't really offer anything more than London IMO. Many US cities are absolutely crap, you'd have to pay me to live in LA for example.

Boston has to be my least favourite, found it rather dull. Great if you’re into a certain part of American history but little else imho.

Sussexscots

Fed up with trains. Sick of the rain.
Chicago, Beer, Baseball, Blues, Brilliant

San Francisco, Funky, relaxed, miles more enjoyable than Los Angeles IMHO

NYC Just like the buzz of the place, and McSorley's Old Ale House

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Boston has to be my least favourite, found it rather dull. Great if you’re into a certain part of American history but little else imho.
I'm surprised! For a start, you can walk it, which kind of marks it out as nearly unique for American cities. Also, there are big lakes/ponds you can skate on in the winter. It has proper seasons, it is clean and has an old world (by their standards) charm. Like.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
For me, nothing beats New York. As somebody once said "When you leave New York you ain't going anywhere"

EDIT: Honourable mentions for Seattle, San Diego and Boston (all good calls and I can see why people like them), but for me New York IS America.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Favourite city is DC - has a bit of everything plus it’s only a short flight, Boston a close second.

Vegas is not America, but I love that place

LA is a ****ing dump, I resent even driving through it.

Never liked NYC, but can see why most do.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Chicago, Beer, Baseball, Blues, Brilliant

San Francisco, Funky, relaxed, miles more enjoyable than Los Angeles IMHO

NYC Just like the buzz of the place, and McSorley's Old Ale House

Ah McSorleys........ “Be good or be gone “

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As [MENTION=34109]Yes Chef[/MENTION] says:-

Denver/Boulder has left a lasting impression, quite probably because I was there when it was Autumn.

Spectacular.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

What!!

When you can walk the city just by listening to Jonathan Richman songs, given his many references to the city in his songs. For novices start with this one

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
1. Portland
2. LA
3. NYC
4. San Francisco
5. Seattle
6. Boston

But I love everywhere I've been in the States really.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Not a city, but a town. Astoria in Oregon. Been there a few times, loved it, especially the 1 time there was a beer festival.
You can't really beat NY for cities, I like Seattle though.

I'm in Miami a lot, not fond!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here