Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Favourite US City / Town

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
We went to Salem out of season. Very little there, but there was something about the place that I loved. I gather that on Halloween it's chaos there though, so busy.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, I'm not a big fan of SF. My brother-in-law lives there and we've been about seven or eight times, the last time this summer. I don't find the locals particularly friendly and it is way too hilly. It's also expensive, but you can say that about a lot of California.

Ive only been to SF the once, 20 years ago. I understand it has changed significantly and dramatically since then. I’m not sure I’d like it now.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm surprised! For a start, you can walk it, which kind of marks it out as nearly unique for American cities. Also, there are big lakes/ponds you can skate on in the winter. It has proper seasons, it is clean and has an old world (by their standards) charm. Like.

It’s just personal taste. Boston isn’t unpleasant, I had a great time there, great food and beer scene, it’s more I prefer other places.

And let’s face it, the United States has a lot of choice.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Is someone from Brighton really dissing SF for being hilly?:lolol:

Next they’ll be complaining it’s full of hipsters and third-wave coffee shops.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's a lot more other countries i would rather visit, starting with South America. It simply doesn't appeal to me. Never has done.

Ironically, although USA is one country it is so varied and massive it is like a continent and impossible to sweepingly dismiss, whereas South America isn't actually a country, but a continent.

If we stretch things to include the continet of North America, I'd instantly plump for Vancouver. Even though it is much more knowing and massive than in was when I lived there in the 80s, and East Hastings has gone from alcoholic 'rubbies' to roaring junkies, it still has everything from skiing to beaches to forests to culture to food.....

In the USA itself (sorry, OP), NYC is stunning, Boston overrated, SanDiego cracking, Washington DC a bit odd, Cincinnati surprisingly comfy, Pittsburgh surprisingly spectacular....but....everywhere has areas with lovely houses as well as ghettos, nice people as well as Trumpy dickheads. And the food, everywhere, is cheap and plentiful.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Only ever been to the States as a fleeting tourist, but liked San Francisco- though I was there when the Bushman was alive - Seligman, though it’s not a city; to be fair it’s an interesting street, and Burlington. I’m not a gambler, and found garish Las Vegas obnoxious.

On the other hand, I loved Cuzco, Bariloche. Buenos Aires and found Brasilia interesting. Rio was something else.

Loved Darwin, Alice Springs, Perth and Sydney, having lived and worked in all of them.

But you can’t beat Taunton in Somersetshire!

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Ironically, although USA is one country it is so varied and massive it is like a continent and impossible to sweepingly dismiss, whereas South America isn't actually a country, but a continent.

If we stretch things to include the continet of North America, I'd instantly plump for Vancouver. Even though it is much more knowing and massive than in was when I lived there in the 80s, and East Hastings has gone from alcoholic 'rubbies' to roaring junkies, it still has everything from skiing to beaches to forests to culture to food.....

In the USA itself (sorry, OP), NYC is stunning, Boston overrated, SanDiego cracking, Washington DC a bit odd, Cincinnati surprisingly comfy, Pittsburgh surprisingly spectacular....but....everywhere has areas with lovely houses as well as ghettos, nice people as well as Trumpy dickheads. And the food, everywhere, is cheap and plentiful.

Well said! I'll join you with Vancouver if it's North America we're talking about; great place.

No-one gone for anywhere in Alaska yet. Unbelievable scenery & wildlife. Very lucky to have been there a few times; Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Seward, Sitka, Whittier, Haines. Not done Anchorage though!

I can recommend a cruise out of either Vancouver or Seattle as a great way of seeing some outstanding scenery.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Well said! I'll join you with Vancouver if it's North America we're talking about; great place.

No-one gone for anywhere in Alaska yet. Unbelievable scenery & wildlife. Very lucky to have been there a few times; Skagway, Juneau, Ketchikan, Seward, Sitka, Whittier, Haines. Not done Anchorage though!

I can recommend a cruise out of either Vancouver or Seattle as a great way of seeing some outstanding scenery.

Ah, Alaska...

Palin.jpg

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
:thumbs: Know it well. My office is next to the Cumberland Mall and I am down in Fayette County. User name is a clue!

Haven't yet worked out the clue! I was there from '78 to '83. My sons were born at Northside Hospital.

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I know my worst though - Las Vegas. In fact, it's the worst city that I've ever visited, I had a week there on business and have rarely felt more miserable. My life is immeasurably better knowing that I'll never go ther again.

This. An abomination of a place. I found Miami Beach awful too - full of shallow twunts.

I like NYC a lot, but my favourite has to be Austin, Texas. Just a lot more relaxed and the locals seem more tolerant and accepting. SxSW is epic too.

New Orleans has a lot going for it, but I found it somewhat depressing that even a few years after hurricane Katrina, there was still a lot of evidence of it in the poorer areas. For a wealthy country, there’s an astonishing amount of deprivation.

I find America an odd place - full of contradictions and social problems despite the glossy image it likes to portray. Some (a LOT) if it’s citizens have views I find disturbing.

Ken Livingstone Seagull

Aug 29, 2003
Maui, Hawaii
Santa Fe New Mexico. Lived there 10 years -- it's a special place. At 7,000 feet, high desert, mountains and huge skies -- spectacular.

Hana, Maui, pop. 1,500. It's like Hawaii used to be 50 years ago. If it's been raining, the Road to Hana is worthy of its reputation, driving through the rain forest.

New York -- also lived there 10 years. Greatest City in the History of the World, especially if you're south of 40.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials

Ah, good point - I'd forgotten Pittsburgh. Genuinely spectacular setting and a nice feel to it. The name gives the wrong impression.

One obvious thing - being a tourist anywhere is never as good as living and working there or staying with someone who knows a place. I have friends who live in the greater Detroit area who love it but I've only been downtown (with trips to Motown Studios and the Ford Museum) and I thought it was hideous.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Not in any particular order, as I love the USA.
NYC - been in heavy snow and central park was amazing in snow. want to go in spring/summer now.
Vegas - grand canyon, red rock canyon as well as all the other stuff. Been 3 times.
Death Valley - surprisingly good scenery but boy was it hot, 51c!
Big pine - small town on way to Yosemite, Copper Top bbq shack, voted best restaurant in USA by Yelp, amazing.
Yosemite - scenery unreal
Lake Tahoe - must be fantastic living there with all the seasons.
SF - I was really disappointed, apart from Alcatraz, Lombard St, tram ride but I actually want to go back and do more there.
Carmel - I was here at night, guy in bar said go down to the beach in the morning it is awesome. It was more than that for me, as I didn't know Pebble Beach golf club is there. I instantly recognized it and nearly wet myself.
Big Sur, Pacific Highway - scenery and drive is amazing.
Driving through L.A. on a Friday was a bloody nightmare but a diner we stopped at was fantastic.
San Diego - loved it, gas lamp quarter, old town, beaches. Definitely want to go back.
Florida, Orlando, great with kids, st Pete's, fort Lauderdale. Wasn't keen on Miami, to much cannabis in the streets, but Espanola Way was very nice and the iconic buildings on ocean drive, although a lot run down.

Lots and lots more places I want to go to.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don’t particularly like NYC myself (maybe because been there probably 30-40 times and got a bit bored although as anywhere does have it’s good points), and SF was way below expectations for me (but loved Alcatraz and Sausalito). Went to Vegas for the first time last year and actually loved it....basically an adult Disneyland - great for a few days fun and with the Grand Canyon, Hoover Dam in easy reach.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Haven't yet worked out the clue! I was there from '78 to '83. My sons were born at Northside Hospital.

Look 25 miles due south of Hartsfield. 78-83. That was some time ago. I don't think you would recognize the place now. Although Marietta & Roswell still have kept their old charm. Otherwise downtown Atlanta is a nightmare. I have been coming here since 2002 and living here since 07 and its changed a lot even in that short (ish) time. Traffic hasn't improved!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Looking at a family fly/drive over Easter. San Fran, Yellowstone, LA, Vegas, San Diego/Tijuana day trip. Few days in each although LA I could easily bypass. Any other gems in that part of the world?

Wouldn't bother with Tijuana and unless things have changed you can't take rental car over. 30-40 mins NE of SD is Temecula, centre of their small wine region. Some lovely vineyards and a good place for a very scenic lunch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here