Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new Gillette ad

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My god, what a load of po-faced TWATTERY from Gillette. I'd no sooner take "life advice" from a razorblade company than I would take gardening tips from Kelloggs. Whats the bloody relevance ?

Look - you're a business set up to provide things that help scrape hair off blokes faces. If I wanted to be exposed to a load of vacuous, virtue-signalling DRECK thats trying to pass itself off as "wide words" then I'd go and peruse bloody Mumsnet, or Facebook. Just carry on making things we can cut ourselves with and spare us the fortune-cookie codswallop.

'kin ell.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
My god, what a load of po-faced TWATTERY from Gillette. I'd no sooner take "life advice" from a razorblade company than I would take gardening tips from Kelloggs. Whats the bloody relevance ?

Look - you're a business set up to provide things that help scrape hair off blokes faces. If I wanted to be exposed to a load of vacuous, virtue-signalling DRECK thats trying to pass itself off as "wide words" then I'd go and peruse bloody Mumsnet, or Facebook. Just carry on making things we can cut ourselves with and spare us the fortune-cookie codswallop.

'kin ell.
But they're not JUST a razor company. They have a privileged communications position, and they're using that position to promote (what I would consider to be) a positive message.

If you feel like it's irrelevant to you, then fine. But you know that it isn't irrelevant generally because of the statistics that have been shared earlier in this thread, and just knowing about the state of the world. Of course, they wouldn't dream of adopting a comms campaign that hurt their sales, but they don't NEED to do this either. And if they want to celebrate men challenging bullying and empowering their daughters, rather than just saying 'our products irritate your face less', good luck to 'em.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Because most of us men do not need to be told what is acceptable behaviour, we should be able to work that out by ourselves (aware that some cannot seem to work this out of course).
.....and this advert won't make a scrap of difference to the ones that can't/won't work it out for themselves.

Is anyone trying to defend the poor behaviour?
No, but anyone who thinks the advert is pretty crap, or patronising, or stereotyping Is instantly pounced upon by some who are determined to see that as defending poor behaviour. I don't like the advert; I don't like men who abuse women (or children) either.

It is not slanting statistics. They are facts. Undeniable facts.
Yes, they are facts, but presented in a very particular way. Presuming your two women killed every week by their partners statistic applies to the UK, you could just as accurately say two out of 25 million (or thereabouts) men kill their partners every week. Still two too many, but it puts a whole different slant on it when you put it that way - that of course would not suit some agendas, so they slant it the other way. But not slanted? - my Aunt Fanny!

I hope you've never witnessed domestic abuse nor been in an abusive relationship.
Yes I have, but never been in one myself. So?

However worthy this advert may or may not be, the small minority who do[/B} urgently need to change their behaviour won't be touched by this advert at all.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
But they're not JUST a razor company. They have a privileged communications position, and they're using that position to promote (what I would consider to be) a positive message.

If you feel like it's irrelevant to you, then fine. But you know that it isn't irrelevant generally because of the statistics that have been shared earlier in this thread, and just knowing about the state of the world. Of course, they wouldn't dream of adopting a comms campaign that hurt their sales, but they don't NEED to do this either. And if they want to celebrate men challenging bullying and empowering their daughters, rather than just saying 'our products irritate your face less', good luck to 'em.

Well, they are to me.

I'll admit I've always had a very jaundiced view of adverts anyway. I'm a notorious flicker, both TV and radio, I find them all tedious in the extreme and will go out of my way to try to avoid them as much as poss. When the likes of Gillette start preaching "life messages" to us as well, then my eyes are already rolling, and frankly I can't get hold of the remote fast enough. Hawk the damn razors around in commercial breaks by all means, its the way of the world and always will be. But I won't be watching, and I couldn't give a stuff about what they are trying to "celebrate" or "empower". Its bobbins.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Well, they are to me.

I'll admit I've always had a very jaundiced view of adverts anyway. I'm a notorious flicker, both TV and radio, I find them all tedious in the extreme and will go out of my way to try to avoid them as much as poss. When the likes of Gillette start preaching "life messages" to us as well, then my eyes are already rolling, and frankly I can't get hold of the remote fast enough. Hawk the damn razors around in commercial breaks by all means, its the way of the world and always will be. But I won't be watching, and I couldn't give a stuff about what they are trying to "celebrate" or "empower". Its bobbins.

Well said!

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
Well, they are to me.

Yes, but it's not about you. I'm sure you turn over when adverts come on, and don't listen, and don't want Gillette preaching to you, etc. But the advert is slickly made and I suspect more than one person will have their perspective challenged. And if that's the case, it seems odd not to support it on the grounds that it doesn't do anything for you personally.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes, but it's not about you. I'm sure you turn over when adverts come on, and don't listen, and don't want Gillette preaching to you, etc. But the advert is slickly made and I suspect more than one person will have their perspective challenged. And if that's the case, it seems odd not to support it on the grounds that it doesn't do anything for you personally.

I think I'll just accept that I'm not their "target audience" then, and move along.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

'kin ell.

Marvellous stuff. I'm with you, Gillette can do one. It's worse than their advert where they intoned 'In space there is no up or down and now that is true in shaving' Making an advert worse than that tripe is an achievement in itself.

I'd like to see a 'Be a better woman' advert and see how that goes down.

Last edited:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC

It's not slickly made though, it's manipulating a situation to make them money when they have absolutely no sincerity in the message they're throwing out there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think I'll just accept that I'm not their "target audience" then, and move along.

not sure their target audience for product and the "communication" are necessarily the same.

Tesco in Disguise

Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
It's not slickly made though, it's manipulating a situation to make them money when they have absolutely no sincerity in the message they're throwing out there.
I think the production is quite good.

They at least have SOME sincerity in doing it, as they easily could not have. But even if they had none, I think that's irrelevant, because the EFFECT is positive. If you accept that, why oppose?

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I'm a Marketing Director and have three big problems with that ad. First, it is a ridiculously shallow and transparent attempt by a marketing team to jump on board the purpose driven ad craze for commercial gain. Secondly, execution wise its just a terribly put together advert, almost amateur. Third, it's insanely patronising to every decent man in society.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here