Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new Gillette ad

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I'm not being hard on myself.
Just can't see any merit in the ad. What are Gillette trying to achieve?
Yes, it may be talked about by bods like me with too much time on their hands, but I dare say those with more important things on their mind are unaware of this load of bollocks.:rolleyes:
Quite a good article by Alice Thompson in yesterday's Times.

Publicity I'd imagine.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Gillette have had to defend their ad and the thinking seems to be, "so what, it's the women that do the shopping so we are telling them what they want to hear". They are also squirming with glee at all the 'free' advertising from the ensuing media bin-fest. Utter wankers. I'll never buy a Gillette product again.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...film-the-best-men-can-be-20190116-p50rrl.html

Think I said earlier on this thread that it looked to be cynically marketed to women on the basis of them doing the shopping.

Yet people think they're trying to change the world with profound messages from the goodness of their hearts :lolol:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Gillette have had to defend their ad and the thinking seems to be, "so what, it's the women that do the shopping so we are telling them what they want to hear". They are also squirming with glee at all the 'free' advertising from the ensuing media bin-fest. Utter wankers. I'll never buy a Gillette product again.

https://www.smh.com.au/entertainmen...film-the-best-men-can-be-20190116-p50rrl.html

tenor.gif

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

The agency put out a couple of broad quotes about the ad campaign. Gillette haven't issued a defence. It's probably safe to assume they've achieved impact, but it's unlikely any business would pull a campaign of this scale unless it was demonstrably causing significant ongoing damage.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
A pretty good ad reminding us to set a decent example to our children and not be dicks.

Let's hope it makes a difference in the future.

I don't really get why people are feeling patronised etc by this ad. Piers Morgan can call it an attack on masculinity if he chooses but to me it is an a reminder for us to try and stop our kids growing up as knobheads. Perhaps Piers' parents could have done with it when he was a kid. 40 years too late eh Piers.

I do agree though that this is outside of gilettes remit. They should stick to selling overly complicated and overly expensive hair shaving device and leave the social problems alone.

Last edited:

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
The agency put out a couple of broad quotes about the ad campaign. Gillette haven't issued a defence. It's probably safe to assume they've achieved impact, but it's unlikely any business would pull a campaign of this scale unless it was demonstrably causing significant ongoing damage.

Agreed, and I don't expect them to either. From a marketing point of view it is a job well done.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
The man who owns Gillette owns the New England Patriots and pays Tom Brady's salary, Robert Kraft. Why do you think they call the stadium in Foxboro, Massachusetts, Gillette Stadium. He is also the owner of Kraft Group which runs Kraft Foods.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
It's a decent enough ad.

The message, "Be a good role model", is important.

Personally, I think the advert hit this tone far more than the "all men are bad" message that others are seeing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here