Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] The new Gillette ad

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I think that's the point of it though - there are the majority of people who know what is acceptable behaviour, there's also the ones that are nothing but galloping shitbiscuits, but there's also the middle ground of people that are inherently good, but balls up once or twice.

I'm not the biggest fan of the advert, but I'm not outraged by it in the slightest as it's good to sometimes be reminded of our responsibilities in society.

I agree, anyone that is completely outraged by it needs to ask themselves why. Slightly irritating or patronising I get but the sentiment behind it is fine. There are much worse things in the world to worry about for sure.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
How very edgy, calling someone 'woke'. If being 'woke' means not being blind to obvious problems, so be it

About as edgy as your white lives matter yawnfest. I am guessing you are a liberal, left of centre thinker as it were and so I am. I fully support the desire for us all to be better people and for that reason I think you have to be careful with singling out a particular group to be better. There are good and bad people in this world, ones that are doing great and ones that could do better, I just think picking on a particular group to tell them to do better does not help the process.

Are there problems amongst masculinity? Sure. There are also issues in some black male culture, there are issues in some muslim cultures, there are issues amongst s.american cultures, I could go on.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
About as edgy as your white lives matter yawnfest. I am guessing you are a liberal, left of centre thinker as it were and so I am. I fully support the desire for us all to be better people and for that reason I think you have to be careful with singling out a particular group to be better. There are good and bad people in this world, ones that are doing great and ones that could do better, I just think picking on a particular group to tell them to do better does not help the process.

Are there problems amongst masculinity? Sure. There are also issues in some black male culture, there are issues in some muslim cultures, there are issues amongst s.american cultures, I could go on.

Think we're mostly on the same page, so I apologise as my comments would have been better directed against others on this thread.

I do somewhat disagree though. The ad was warning against the dangerous aspects of masculinity, and that's what it did. Just because other problems exist doesn't mean that one should be immune from being challenged. If an ad against the dangers of smoking came on, you wouldn't say 'oh but drinking kills too, why single out smoking'. No, that would be ridiculous. It was an ad directed against a portion of the population where issues exist and it attempted to spread awareness and possibly effect change. Really don't see the problem.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Think we're mostly on the same page, so I apologise as my comments would have been better directed against others on this thread.

I do somewhat disagree though. The ad was warning against the dangerous aspects of masculinity, and that's what it did. Just because other problems exist doesn't mean that one should be immune from being challenged. If an ad against the dangers of smoking came on, you wouldn't say 'oh but drinking kills too, why single out smoking'. No, that would be ridiculous. It was an ad directed against a portion of the population where issues exist and it attempted to spread awareness and possibly effect change. Really don't see the problem.

I think my point is that I cannot imagine an ad campaign targeting another group telling them to sort their sh1t out. You are right though that in the grand scheme of things it is not worth the outrage it seems to have occurred in some and as mentioned at the start, I agree with the sentiment. I think I find it slightly patronising coming from a multi-million pound company trying to generate more sales.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Just because other problems exist doesn't mean that one should be immune from being challenged.

I think that sums things up in a nutshell for me.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think my point is that I cannot imagine an ad campaign targeting another group telling them to sort their sh1t out. You are right though that in the grand scheme of things it is not worth the outrage it seems to have occurred in some and as mentioned at the start, I agree with the sentiment. I think I find it slightly patronising coming from a multi-million pound company trying to generate more sales.

I have followed your increasingly nuanced chat with [MENTION=16091]BrickTamland[/MENTION] with interest. The bit I highlight is probably the source of your disagreement - one of you thinking this is key and the other not. I think that paradoxically, we (I assume you two too) in the most successful, dominant and therefore untouchable sector of society, the educated while male, are the only group in a position to lead on this sort of thing. And, yes, allow the message to include other types of bloke as well, other ethnicities and social classes. However, targetting other very separate groups, such as muslim men from a rural peasant background (with all their weird shit) would be a bit forced and would be rejected by all of them (they would need to generate their own stuff). What's that old saying? Don't let your reach exceed your grasp?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Don't be so hard on yourself.

I'm not being hard on myself.
Just can't see any merit in the ad. What are Gillette trying to achieve?
Yes, it may be talked about by bods like me with too much time on their hands, but I dare say those with more important things on their mind are unaware of this load of bollocks.:rolleyes:
Quite a good article by Alice Thompson in yesterday's Times.

Last edited:

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I have followed your increasingly nuanced chat with [MENTION=16091]BrickTamland[/MENTION] with interest. The bit I highlight is probably the source of your disagreement - one of you thinking this is key and the other not. I think that paradoxically, we (I assume you two too) in the most successful, dominant and therefore untouchable sector of society, the educated while male, are the only group in a position to lead on this sort of thing. And, yes, allow the message to include other types of bloke as well, other ethnicities and social classes. However, targetting other very separate groups, such as muslim men from a rural peasant background (with all their weird shit) would be a bit forced and would be rejected by all of them (they would need to generate their own stuff). What's that old saying? Don't let your reach exceed your grasp?

Blimey Harry, written at 8.26 am. Give me until midday and I may have had time to research the 'nuanced chat' and then be in a position to fully understand your post. Then again.......
At the moment, I am struggling!:D
Hey, did Mejona's reply to me really merit a 'Like'? Please reconsider.:lolol:

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Good analysis there.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
And I'm with the Daily Mash

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...heads-asks-razor-blade-company-20190116181425

It's an advert ffs, and the amount of coverage it's got is a win for Gillette.

As a piece of marketing we will see how effective it will be. The people it's offended are likely Gillette customers and its highly unlikely anyone who doesn't buy their products will because of this campaign. Just not sensible marketing. Additionally it appears that Gillette continue to reinforce gender stereotyping with their product packaging between male and female shaving products. Any half decent brand team would have at least made sure that the products were updated to support their comm's positioning.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
As a piece of marketing we will see how effective it will be. The people it's offended are likely Gillette customers and its highly unlikely anyone who doesn't buy their products will because of this campaign. Just not sensible marketing.

Totally agree. This "Toxic Masculinity' drivel is appalling. They've done a Ratner, basically calling their entire customer base women-hating rapist *****. Just sell your crap, and stay out of pseudo identity politics, it's not helping anyone.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here