• Benjamin Disraeli

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The post said referendum. People voted for a referendum. He delivered the referendum. These are facts. Not commenting on the campaign, as that wasn’t what I quoted, but over 50% of people who voted in 2015 backed Referendum parties.

Thought we were discussing the worst UK prime minister? Did I miss the memo you were narrowing the discussion?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Cameron gets it.

May could yet pip him. In my book she's my close second.

Eden was rubbish, but hey, he was unwell.

Churchill not much better - the story he has written for himself as a result of WW2 saves him, but in all honesty, he was not as good as painted out to be.

Chamberlain is there because of the story that Churchill let be put about around appeasement - fact is that had Chamberlain done anything else we'd all be under the Third Reich now. He was actually a good parliamentarian. He just got the job at the very wrong time.

The ridiculous Blair narrative means he'll get votes from the left and right all down to Iraq. The same lilly livered liberals that attack him for the war were wringing their hands over who was going to take on Saddam only months before the war started. Add to that the minimum wage, tax credits for working mums etc, and the right hate him as well. Pathetic really.

Attlee was wet. He should have delivered much more. Largely failed to seize the initiative by not going for a modernisation and reconstruction programme post-war. NHS saves him.

Callaghan inherited a poison chalice. Might have been OK.

Major is unrecognised. Laid the way for economic growth under Blair. Could have done so much more if it hadn't been for the loons in his own party.

Why is Disraeli in there?

Excellent post, I whole-heartedly agree with nearly all of that. The only thing I will say is that you are wrong to treat Blair's record on Iraq as trivial. People died because of his decision which was based on a lie.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Anthony Blair imho,

He opened the doors to Great Britain without one eye on the future, a future that was full of angry misinformed gullible voters who detested immigrants illegal or otherwise polluting these shores.

His actions created the apparent hatred and then the monster that are little Englanders with their pitch forks.

HH Brighton

Jul 25, 2003
A tough one but Maggie Thatcher did more to destroy a country then any other Prime Minister. We are still paying the price now.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Isn't the answer to this question always supposed to be Thatcher?

Who'd have thought the Tories would attract leaders even worse?

*although May and Cameron are not worse. Not by a country mile. They're merely incompetent, Thatcher was purposefully horrendous

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The competition is competitive, but really Cameron has to take the accolade. A vacuous PR man who stood for nothing other than office. A weak, vision-free, snake oil salesman who ushered in austerity and bequeathed us Brexit and the current calamitous government.

Despite that he has been able to avoid any repsonsiblilty and sail off into the sunset with a massive pile of cash ensuring that none of this chaos will ever affect him or his ability to buy ridiculously expensive sheds. An utter disgrace of man and history will remember him as such.

I was going to vote Tory Blair, but your post swayed me ...... CAMERON

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Cameron inherited a total mess left by Brown & Blair and statistically did a good job on the economy & dealing with the huge financial deficits left. The EU referendum was in the Tory manifesto, so technically he was just towing the party line. Based solely on facts, how does that make Cameron the worst PM? May has inherited the brexit mess and irrespective of views on her performance, given the entire country is split 52% to 48%, how can you expect any agreement on a deal, irrespective of who was in charge? I voted for Blair when he got into power, so would have say worst PM was Gordon Brown!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Isn't the answer to this question always supposed to be Thatcher?

Who'd have thought the Tories would attract leaders even worse?

*although May and Cameron are not worse. Not by a country mile. They're merely incompetent, Thatcher was purposefully horrendous

Well, if incompetence is the measure then obviously is May. If it's pig headedly putting career and self interest ahead of anything else then Cameron, of course. From the perspective of an ideological crusade that has created a huge chasm between the haves and the have nots then clearly Thatcher is the winner. I still cringe that even people on the left from SE England refer to x Northern town as a 'sh1t hole' (see new Stoke manager thread), I wonder if they understand why some of these places are so poverty stricken?

All that said, I plumped for Cameron because while he wins the self interest vote, he comes a very close second on incompetence and ideological crusades.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Thatcher, by a country mile.

Cameron and Blair would be in contention for the worst single decision taken by a British Prime Minister but, as far as I'm concerned, if you're looking for the worst from the perspective of their longer-term ideological project, and the damage they've already done to the UK (politically, economically, and socially), surely it's got to be Thatcher?

I reserve the option of revising this view in the future once we've got a clearer idea of the outcome of the ongoing Brexit debacle.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Confession time: I was once non-consensually kissed by Sir Alec Douglas-Home. Made the front page of the paper and everything. In my defence, I was a baby at the time. And the paper was the Perthshire Advertiser.

Despite all that early childhood trauma, still voted Cameron :thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Thatcher, by a country mile.

Cameron and Blair would be in contention for the worst single decision taken by a British Prime Minister but, as far as I'm concerned, if you're looking for the worst from the perspective of their longer-term ideological project, and the damage they've already done to the UK (politically, economically, and socially), surely it's got to be Thatcher?

I reserve the option of revising this view in the future once we've got a clearer idea of the outcome of the ongoing Brexit debacle.

All of THIS /\

Great post.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Fair play to anyone who can get past the utter naivety of Neville Chamberlain.

Either that or they don't know their history.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I honestly don't know who was the worst PM, but in recent times I would probably put forward Heath, Callaghan and Brown.
Mrs.May has had an nightmare job, but has shown she is not PM material and one of the reasons is because she is a poor orator and finds it impossible to convey passion to her audience.
Anyway, PM is a f---ing impossible task and at any one time, up to half the country are going to dislike your policies and hence you, as well.

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here