Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Wagner gone... Jan Siewert appointed

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You could google "flat earth" and get a ton of results too, but that doesn't mean it's anything other than the idea of a few cranks in reality.

Well, it was being described quite widely across the media as being a "miracle", and now he's sloped off, I've seen the word several times since last night. The BBC even called it a "fairytale" today. Its a bit like Plucky - once the notion of a miracle gets floated, the lazy journalism kicks in and that becomes the narrative.

To be clear, I'm not saying they've not done well of course. A club that size was clearly punching above its weight to spend 2 seasons in the PL. But I find all the talk of it being the stuff of unicorns and rainbows a bit...cloying, after a while.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah me too [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION].

I'm not sure it's good news for us that Huddersfield are nailed on to go down either. As much as Diet Clippetty got on my nerves, they were always a team we all felt were one of the teams who would finish below us even if we can't actually beat them every time we play. Next season we'll probably end up with clubs that will be a lot stronger. There aren't many Huddersfield type teams challenging in the top half of the division below.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
They finished 5th, 12 points behind us. Which considering they were hot on our heels for so long, and the utter PIGS EAR we made of our last 3 games, is quite surprising. Their form must've dropped off a cliff in that last month or two.

Last 10 W 3 D 1 L 6 F 9 A 19 P 10

Not exactly relegation form, but certainly not promotion form

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yeah me too [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION].

I'm not sure it's good news for us that Huddersfield are nailed on to go down either. As much as Diet Clippetty got on my nerves, they were always a team we all felt were one of the teams who would finish below us even if we can't actually beat them every time we play. Next season we'll probably end up with clubs that will be a lot stronger. There aren't many Huddersfield type teams challenging in the top half of the division below.

Agreed. Whoever comes up out of the current top 6 (Leeds, Sheff Utd, Narch, WBA, Boro, Derby) would be better equipped to survive in the PL than Huddersfield, with the possible exception of Sheffield Utd, who have come a long way in a relatively short space of time.

Huddersfield look like they're on their way back to their usual lower-mid Championship berth. They're not a basketcase like Sunderland / Bolton, so I don't think they'll crash right through into L1, but I don't see them challenging to return any time soon.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
They finished 5th, 12 points behind us. Which considering they were hot on our heels for so long, and the utter PIGS EAR we made of our last 3 games, is quite surprising. Their form must've dropped off a cliff in that last month or two.

Sorry, I was one place out. Many said, at the time, it was tactical to get the better draw in the playoffs.

Well, BFS isn't interested.

[tweet]1085129898937774080[/tweet]

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Sam Allardyce is giving his girthy cock and pendulous balls one last airing in the cold Dudley wind as we speak, before he sets about returning to the workplace.

I'd like to claim this as my own, but I can't - it's on the Guardian comments.

I think he’s now popped it back in his pants, couldn’t even get a semi for managing Huddersfield it seems.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Agreed. Whoever comes up out of the current top 6 (Leeds, Sheff Utd, Narch, WBA, Boro, Derby) would be better equipped to survive in the PL than Huddersfield, with the possible exception of Sheffield Utd, who have come a long way in a relatively short space of time.

Huddersfield look like they're on their way back to their usual lower-mid Championship berth. They're not a basketcase like Sunderland / Bolton, so I don't think they'll crash right through into L1, but I don't see them challenging to return any time soon.

You never can tell, though. Nobody expected West Brom to drop off a cliff last season, especially after signing Barry and Krychowiak. For the rest of our tenure in the Premier League we're always going to be looking for three clubs to finish above and relying on smaller clubs to perform as poorly as expected won't be enough. Yes, it will be handy if the occasional Swindon, Barnsley or Blackpool comes up for a single-season visit, but look at Swansea, PLB and Wigan, who all hung around for ages. And show no signs of going back in PLB's case.

Last edited:

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Typical German with a permanent chip on his shoulder as everything was always everybody else fault usually a poor ref and bad decisions never his tactics or team selection.

What a stupid comment. Examples? You sound like a typical racist pensioner tbh. All bloody foreigners start at Calais eh?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
What a stupid comment. Examples? You sound like a typical racist pensioner tbh. All bloody foreigners start at Calais eh?

He certainly loved to blame referees and to refuse to talk about his own team's shortcomings but plenty of British managers do that too. Neil Warnock, Steve Bruce, Paul Jewell, Big Sam for instance.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
'Typical German'? Nice!

You REALLY don't help yourself sometimes, do you? You've turned a discussion about management quality and squad depth into a character assassination.

Just admit the guy did well, on a smaller budget than the other promoted teams!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Nothing whatsoever to do with character assassination. I believe that he brought the dislike on himself with his continual blaming of everybody else bar himself. I also do not think that what he achieved was at all remarkable compared to he likes of Holloway and Blackpool Every year there is one unfashionable club pushing for promotion, this year it is Sheff Utd and every year there is one team that bombs, this year it is Huddersfield next year it will be another team, hopefully not us.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Originally Posted by crodonilson
Selected odds for new manager:

David Moyes 3/1
Paul Trollope 3/1
Big Sam 4/1
Dan Farke 5/1
Alan Curbishley 8/1
Fan Darke 8/1
Slavisa Jokanovic 9/1
Alan Pardew 9/1
Mark Hughes 10/1
Paolo Il Duce di Canio 12/1
Steve Cotterill 16/1
Claude Puel 25/1
Terry Venables 100/1
Mark Bright 125/1

Whilst not wishing him to miss out in his future career, I would be happy if Paul Trollope didn't figure on that list !

Genuinely surprised there's no mention of Carlos Carvalhal after the fantastic job he did keeping Swansea up last season. Oh, wait ...

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
He certainly loved to blame referees and to refuse to talk about his own team's shortcomings but plenty of British managers do that too. Neil Warnock, Steve Bruce, Paul Jewell, Big Sam for instance.

More a reference to his 'typical German' comment than Wagner's antics as manager. I thought Wagner generally okay in interviews tbh. Like all managers he would sometimes grumble about decisions, but there are plenty worse in the PL. Like many German coaches, he had plenty of touchline passion and enthusiasm. I've no problem with that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just try googling "Huddersfield miracle" and see the results.

All I got was:-

_101683583_gettyimages-947801268.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
You never can tell, though. Nobody expected West Brom to drop off a cliff last season, especially after signing Barry and Krychowiak. For the rest of our tenure in the Premier League we're always going to be looking for three clubs to finish above and relying on smaller clubs to perform as poorly as expected won't be enough. Yes, it will be handy if the occasional Swindon, Barnsley or Blackpool comes up for a single-season visit, but look at Swansea, PLB and Wigan, who all hung around for ages. And show no signs of going back in PLB's case.

Very true. What also didn't help WBA, Swansea and Stoke was the fact that all 3 promoted sides held their own last season, which is fairly unusual. Normally at least one promoted team finds the step-up too much that first season and occupies a relegation spot, but not this time.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
More a reference to his 'typical German' comment than Wagner's antics as manager. I thought Wagner generally okay in interviews tbh. Like all managers he would sometimes grumble about decisions, but there are plenty worse in the PL. Like many German coaches, he had plenty of touchline passion and enthusiasm. I've no problem with that.

I have to admit that, as referee-blaming goes, this was pretty special.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8CqtNYU4sY

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I always find grown men who live in baseball caps a bit grating tbh.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Please could someone explain to me like I'm 5 why is cool to dislike Wagner?

I can't speak for everyone,but this is why I dislike him:

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...y-huddersfield-town-championship-match-report

Utter selfishness, disrespect for the competition and he ended up being rewarded by having rested players for the play offs. The FL should have thrown the book at him, but were spineless. My view of his gamesmanship was coloured by the previous season when we went into the Wednesday game on our knees after giving everything to try to catch Middlesbro' and Burnley. Wednesday had also been able to rest players. It's a fault of the play-off system that hands advantage to those who have acheived less. There is no way Chris Hughton would have done what Wagner did in this situation with so much at stake for Blackburn and Birmingham, but the league cannot have a system that relies on managers being honorable, especially now that they have proof that some, like Wagner are not.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here